Red Dead Redemption 2

Associate
What kind of framerate are you getting with everything on low? It sounds like there might finally be a game that I can't get away with playing on high if you need gsync to smooth it out on low!

50-65.
Averaging 60 on the benchmark tool.
I'm not using Res Scaling so its just straight just up 1440p with a few important settings turned on eg. Textures, AA, Draw Distance

Soldato
Vulkan as well with async compute enabled.

This is a good settings guide btw:

https://attackofthefanboy.com/guides/red-dead-redemption-2-pc-performance-guide/

I just tried that guide, a bit to much for my poor Vega 64 though. :(

3zFNDTz.jpg

But using some information from that link, and the Game Debate's article - Red Dead Redemption 2 Most Important Graphics Options - Every Setting Benchmarked - Which AOTF based his settings on, plus Joker Productions youtube video, I did mange to get the average over 60 fps in benching so will go with that ! :D

r7zNEc8.jpg

weBnk3M.jpg

Soldato
Is anyone playing this at 1440p on a 980ti? How rough is it, and how much did you have to compromise on settings to get a smooth experience?

I’m on 1070 and have abandoned 1440p

Will this run at all on a 4690K with GTX970 and 8GB of RAM? Or can I forget it?

I have a 4K screen but can run other resolutions.

Maybe low at 1080p for 60fps. Set res at 2160p and keep scaling down past 1/2 until you get what you need. From my understanding 4 threads is not enough for stutter free gameplay.

depends on your target FPS.

I have a 4790k at 4.4ghz all cores (rubbish but that’s all I can get), 16gb of 2133 and a 1070.

To get decent visuals 1440p is not possible. I’m at 1080p with mostly medium settings and a few high.

Soldato
RDR2 ran like bobbins for me initially, I’ve ditched my 4790 for a now overclocked @4,7 4790k , ditched half my RAM (which was 1600, the other 16Gb is 2400) and played about with timings etc and in story mode I’m rocking 4K at a mix of ultra , high and medium (having followed guides) and it looks fantastic and runs beautifully, happy days!

But.....

Online, I’m barely getting 25fps and usually far less, wtf? :/

I’m benching at a rock solid 60fps (only dipping as scenes load in) and online chugs for me too. Not sure of FPS, need to check.

Associate
I just tried that guide, a bit to much for my poor Vega 64 though. :(

3zFNDTz.jpg

But using some information from that link, and the Game Debate's article - Red Dead Redemption 2 Most Important Graphics Options - Every Setting Benchmarked - Which AOTF based his settings on, plus Joker Productions youtube video, I did mange to get the average over 60 fps in benching so will go with that ! :D

r7zNEc8.jpg

weBnk3M.jpg

Definitely consider Ultra textures, you are not saving any performance by having them on High and textures are important in this game

Soldato
50-65.
Averaging 60 on the benchmark tool.
I'm not using Res Scaling so its just straight just up 1440p with a few important settings turned on eg. Textures, AA, Draw Distance
Ah interesting, what AA are you using? Assuming not MSAA? Time to get saving for a new gpu I reckon then

Soldato
Anyone suffer from a crash when entering valentine? I'm not that far in, but everytime i enter it, i get a crash. Normally it will have autosaved in the town so it just wastes a few mins but its super annoying:D. Also whats up with load times, even with an nvme drive it takes a while, is it essentially loading the whole map at once?

Yes, on both of my saves - that's why I stopped playing.

Associate
0_0.jpg

This will probably get buried by a bunch of comments about performance, but I call this one: "Wide Blue Yonder"

Soldato
Does anyone have any tips for getting rivatuner to work with this? I have seen screenshots of people with it active but I cannot get it to work.

Also the game refuses to load 90% of the time if I have defender active; it tells me I am not logged into the social club and quits out. 10% of the time I forget to disable it and it loads just fine though..

Soldato
Does anyone have any tips for getting rivatuner to work with this? I have seen screenshots of people with it active but I cannot get it to work.

Also the game refuses to load 90% of the time if I have defender active; it tells me I am not logged into the social club and quits out. 10% of the time I forget to disable it and it loads just fine though..

Have you tried changed the "Application detection level"?

Default is low but I have a couple of games that require it set to high, for the stats to display in game.

Soldato
I found what was causing the weird stutters for me when moving. It was having the mouse in "raw input" mode. Switching to DirectInput it's completely smooth :)

Also when enabling async you need to make the settings.xml read only or the game keeps disabling it. It adds enough of a performance boost to put some settings up a notch.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you tried changed the "Application detection level"?

Default is low but I have a couple of games that require it set to high, for the stats to display in game.

I have fiddled with it no end, I feel like its something else I am missing like some windows "feature" that is blocking the process.

Would be nice if I could run the game as admin but that is out of the question also.

Back
Top Bottom