Something a bit different! Model Power Boating. RC Catamaran build thread.

Soldato
That's going to be a weapon and it looks fantastic already. For a moment I thought that shot of the transom was a full-size boat.

Caporegime
OP
Cheers Yadda :D

I was just totalling up, I think I've put around 40 hours labour into it so far :eek: :D - I could have cut some corners to save time but I wouldn't have been happy with the end result, so it suits me :)

Jobs left to do

- Prop-shaft, being done tomorrow
- Finish the radio box then installation (this is arguably the biggest job)
- Float tank install (I will get this done tomorrow as well)
- Lid fasteners (10min job)
- Sensor installation (RPM & Engine Temp)
- Plumbing

I would say with the exception of painting it the boat is around 65-70% completion :) - touch wood, all being well its going in the water next weekend.

Soldato
It's a lot more stable than I thought it would be, especially when crossing the other boat's wake.

That's a bonkers scale speed though. It doesn't hang around, does it!?

Caporegime
OP
It's a lot more stable than I thought it would be, especially when crossing the other boat's wake.

That's a bonkers scale speed though. It doesn't hang around, does it!?
Hehe what amazes me is the acceleration of these. They can go from standstill to full speed in a couple of meters :)

And yeah, a few weeks back I had this in the water with 4 other boats at the same time, some others much bigger than this one and it cuts through the wake just fine. Incredibly stable boat considering its size of 42" - shame I did not have the GoPro on that time though. Maybe tomorrow will bring something. Lots of club regulars will be at the lake so it should be pretty chaotic at times :D

Soldato
Very nice. I got a Kyosho Jetstream 1000 in the garage, haven’t used it from a few years but was a good laugh. I used it for a while without waterproof servos, that was a mistake. It sank in the middle of the mere I used to run it on, had to swim out in my grundies to get it back, god that was cold!

Caporegime
OP
Not a hobby I have ever seen much about but this looks like a really interesting build and those boats are insanely fast :o

Is there many crashes at the clubs?!
Funny you mention that. There was one crash today and one very very close call. I have the close call on video, I can sort that out later.

If you were to take into account the amount the boats are used Vs the amount of crashes there are, its practically nothing...then you have some days where it just keeps happening.

I'll do a proper build log update later. But today the propshaft was fitted (thanks to dad) and I did more work to the radio box. I fitted the power switch and breather.

Tomorrow I'll get the propshaft to finalized (the epoxy takes a full 24hrs to harden) and fit servos for the throttle and fuel mixture. Then if all continues to go well, begin making the mount for the rpm sensor.

Caporegime
OP
Time for another build update... :)

I'm finding this weirdly fascinating. I want to see it jump a big wake

Good! I'm glad its providing some interest to some :)

Picking up from the last build log, on Sunday morning we were in the shed early and Dad set about the propshaft job, the one job I just didn't know where to start with.

A few key things I was not aware of here, the brass part of the propshaft had to fit inside of the prop strut (which makes sense now i look back and think about it) - but as the brass section supplied did not slot inside it, we had to use pieces of a slightly smaller diameter brass tube to fit inside it, which would then slot into the prop strut. Once this fitted well, Dad proceeded to bend it into shape, how he did it...experience is patience is all I can use to describe it :D - we gradually, bit by bit, bent the brass tubing using his thumbs, hands and chest...very very slowly a bit at a time and check it constantly as he went...

20191110_080035.jpg

20191110_082259.jpg

20191110_090544.jpg

20191110_091707.jpg

20191110_093931.jpg

Once you have the shaft in such a position, you then insert (oo er) the propshaft itself and secure it into the engine, then epoxy the whole lot together. This results in the propshaft being perfectly aligned with the engine reducing resistance and loss of power through unnecessary and movement between the engine & propshaft.

When it comes to applying epoxy, I taped up the bottom of the boat first to create a base, here is a shot half way through taping.

20191110_095316.jpg

And applying the epoxy.

20191110_152833.jpg

I left this to set overnight, and in the meantime continued work on the radio box. I added the waterproof power switch and breather port.

20191110_152846.jpg

Continuing today the epoxy had set perfectly.

20191111_104700.jpg

20191111_104704.jpg

(you can see the piece of wood added, known as a skeg, to provide support to the propshaft against the water)

After this, I fitted the float chamber. This is to maintain consistent air pressure in the system regardless of the fuel content. This should provide more consistent powaaahhh
20191111_102223.jpg

20191111_102301.jpg

This has been fitted at a slightly forward facing angle to try and keep it more level when the boat is in motion.

Now comes the exciting bit, fitting the electronics. I got the throttle & fuel mixture servos fitted

20191111_115559.jpg

After this I spent the rest of the afternoon linking up the rudder servo. Which involved cutting & drilling holes in the hull & radio box and fitting fixtures to allow the control arms through but keeping it watertight (oh and I fitted the receiver, its in the above photo next to the blue servo on the right) - I finished this up around 5pm and frankly for the radio its the most complex/hardest part of it.

Here is a short video of it working.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1o3KVdxXUM4kk1hL7

I left it this evening with another layer of epoxy on the bottom of the boat, that should be it after that.

Tomorrows jobs should be:

- Link the throttle & fuel mixture servos to the radio
- Fit the temperature sensor (a very quick job)
- Fit the finished exhaust holder
- Fit the lid & fasteners
- Plumbing
- Balancing

....It is damn close to being finished now :)

Caporegime
OP
Today's work done so far

- Link the throttle & fuel mixture servos to the radio
- Fit the temperature sensor (a very quick job)
- Fit the finished exhaust holder

These are all complete.

Started the plumbing, now to fit the exhaust which has its own seperate complication (the angle of the manifold is now right) - so currently at Dad's workshop to see if it can be adjusted :)

Associate
Cool and really quite interesting.

But, one silly little aspect of these photos makes me scratch my chin:
After this, I fitted the float chamber. This is to maintain consistent air pressure in the system regardless of the fuel content. This should provide more consistent powaaahhh
20191111_102223.jpg

20191111_102301.jpg
There are 4 nuts visible for the float chamber thing (the metal cylinder at the top)? The rear 2 in the lower image look like nylocs (with the nylon insert, to grip and not shake lose)? Personally, I'd swap to longer screws, as you need 1 or 2 full threads protruding past the nyloc for them to work 100% - just in case they shake themselves off. Or, have your purposely chosen short screws for a reason, and loctite'd them?

Soldato
Nice thread Phate :cool:. I've some experience with large scale RC buggies from a while back, but never ventured over to the boat side of things. looks like a lot of fun.

Soldato
Can't wait to see the sinking pictures.

This may or may not be the reason why I subbed to this thread when it first started.

Kidding of course, it's very interesting and further inspires me to go RC in some way. However, I think I might get fed up with a boat after some time and maybe a car or plane would suit me best.

Back
Top Bottom