4K Projectors?

Soldato
OP
Its decent enough but does not have the best black levels and is limited to Rec.709 colour space. From what I have read the BenQ W2700 is better at the same price point and goes beyond Rec.709 colours. But I have not seen them run side by side. Also the UHD60 is large, very large compared to some other projectors. Personally I would put the UHD60 is in the top 3 choices at that price point. But for me at least the BenQ W2700 wins out.

The UHD60 and UHD300X are practically the same the only real difference is the 300x is not as bright but £550 cheaper.

Thanks for that will do some more research (the BenQ W2700 was also on the list)

Edit, I know most will not agree but I'd like 3D as well...

Soldato
OP
I went to Richer Sounds yesterday (Stoke) and they had a Optoma UHD51 on display, watched a little of Blade Runner 2049, it was a very dark scene and to be honest it's not worth ditching my old Optoma HD25 for, I'm sure side by side I'd tell a difference but coming in cold it's not a worth while upgrade (as others have said). The Stockport branch has the dearer Sony on display, I'll bob over next week and see if it's noticeably better. Currently thinking of postponing my upgrade until the next generation of 4k's...(although I'm still looking / reading reviews)

Cheers for the advice

Soldato
OP
Having seen the Optoma UHD51 today I think I'm going to go for it! It's "only" £1294 and will give me a few years viewing pleasure before the true 4k become sub £2.5k, I'm a little tempted to order the UHD51ALVE as it's a little brighter but the colours suffer a little due to this (apparently I've not seen it), it also has Alexa and a few other add on's but I'm not fussed about that as my broadlink already voice controls the simple functions...

Given my logic anyone want to put me off buying the Optoma UHD51?

Cheers

Soldato
I'm on a Sony hw40es back in the day £1800 but it's IQ is phenomenal esp now I have a mildly grey screen in my brightly decorated lounge.

I use a darbee processor set low at 20% which sharpens things up nicely without artefacts, it's bought me some time though I'd love a native 4k from Sony the prices are still stratospheric.

Moral of the story is better to do 1080p well than 4k mediocre.

Associate
I've got the same HW40es and am struggling to really justify spending a lot on what appears to be not a huge upgrade. What darbee do you use? I've not looked into anything like that, and simply have Sky and PS4 plugged into AV amp then into projector.

Soldato
The dvp 5000s.

a lot of people set it too high IMO often in reviews people use 40%.

At 20-25% it adds a bit of extra clarity and depth information to scenes. Bit like your resolution has increased or a better lens has been put in the PJ.

I prefer it to reality creation which I have on minimum.

I think it fell in price from £150 ish (what I paid) to £120 (£109 on Amazon today). You could easily try it and return it under DSR if not for you.

Can confirm also you can control with Logitech harmony pro.

Soldato
Per my review on Amazon it's most noticeable on a PJ setup. It's a small tweak and evolutionary rather than revolutionary but I like having it.

Associate
Got my Darbee set up at the weekend. Couple of pics below. Set at HD 80% right now, not seen any artifacts yet. Definite improvement for just over a hundred quid, hairs are so much easier to make out and detail in general. Will help hold off buying a 4k projector for a while.

gfnyr1Nh.jpg

To:-

ZDdUDvkh.jpg

Soldato
OP
Looks great, I'm really happy with my 4k...apart from the pesky light boarder (more noticeable on the UHD51a I swapped the UHD51 for!), my HD25 served me well, but after 6 years I was due a upgrade...

Associate
Well my UHD300X has developed a fault in recent days. Luckily still in warranty though.
Dropping the signal every few minutes (not the cable) and sometime doesn't recover the picture, projector doesn't respond to remote control, projector refuses to turn off - when you turn it off it restarts straight back up again and frequently when I do get a picture, half of it is missing!
Most annoying. Have emailed Optoma to se what to do next. Cant even find any new firmware for this unit in case it is some sort of software fault. Was working great for past 10 months too :confused:

Back
Top Bottom