Death Stranding - who is still undecided and not purchased yet?

Associate
I would be one of them.

Was going to get it for day one, then decided to put for xmas list. Not sure even for that though I might pick it up when it drops in price.

I like how it looks, but I have this thing that I lately hate fetch quests which all the open world games do. It didn't bother me in the Witcher 3 which i really enjoyed, but fetch quests like in FF15 and World of Warcraft annoyed me a lot to the point where i skipped quite a few or rushed through without even paying attention. And I hear that this game is basically a fetch game.

I will defo see someone playing the game to get a better understanding though.

Soldato
I am, I'm 80% sure I'll hate it and don't seem to bother with games these days anyway, still haven't finished Red Dead Redemption 2, but the hype and promise are tempting.

I'm waiting for Mack's 'Worth a Buy' youtube review, I'll be surprised if he thumbs it up, if it gets the predicted slating then I'll probably pick it up when it's cheap.

The radiant fetch quests in Fallout always make the world seem lifeless and boring, and the gameplay here seems pretty much that.

Soldato
Definitely keen to get it but I'm going to get Pokémon first as it'll retain its price. By the time I'm done with that and sell it, hopefully Death Strandings price will have come down

Soldato
Mack is going to destroy it, I can't think of a more divisive title in recent years.

Surprisingly, I really like the game for various reasons even as a moderate fan of action in games as the core gameplay loop of micromanaging, planning routes and fighting with the environment appeals to me. All the surrounding systems just work and there is some combat and pretty tense stealth.

The environment looks amazing and so natural that you sometimes want to scale stuff just for the sake of it. Great music as well.

I can't really put my finger on it but it can be tedious and fun at the same time and the fact that you can see the environment changing due to other players is really cool, even the stupid stuff like signs and giving likes. It's satisfying to help others. You constantly get new unlocks and equipment as well even to the point that you can build highways across stretches of land with other players.

Having said that, I can't see many people appreciating this game, it's weird and has tons of traversal and cutscenes. It's like a more interactive and more bizarre Shadow of the Colossus with some fluff and unusual systems tying it all up. Probably gonna be too much for many.

Well, that's my mini review, can't think of any other way to describe it.

Soldato
I'll probably get it at Christmas or early next year, there was never quite enough appeal there to make me want to buy it on launch and it was never clear what the game was about until it was in the hands of reviewers and normal people.

I had a wonderful time in RDR2 roaming around, exploring and taking in scenery between (and during) story missions so I'm confident I'll enjoy DS to some extent, but I'm not sure I'm ready for another massive, slow-paced open world game just yet.

Associate
Jim Sterling didn’t care for it.

Can’t say the idea of another running/all your kit wearing out before your eyes simulator appeals to me either.
why do you always listen to other people's opinions its not for everybody like i hate games like Fortnite little kiddy game with silly dances but each to their own.

Associate
I am, I'm 80% sure I'll hate it and don't seem to bother with games these days anyway, still haven't finished Red Dead Redemption 2, but the hype and promise are tempting.

I'm waiting for Mack's 'Worth a Buy' youtube review, I'll be surprised if he thumbs it up, if it gets the predicted slating then I'll probably pick it up when it's cheap.

The radiant fetch quests in Fallout always make the world seem lifeless and boring, and the gameplay here seems pretty much that.
His reviews are usually on the money a bit like Angryjoe but even they can get it wrong worthabuy said Metal gear solid 5 was crap and outer worlds was good.

Associate
I cancelled my preorder last week on the basis of the mixed response, was massively on the fence and basically ended up buying the game last night. Regretted cancelling :mad:

Did about 4 hours or so - can’t wait to get back on one my wife has gone to bed.

I can see how the game will divide opinion.

Soldato
I was/am undecided, but I saw it on the member's market, so I bought it anyway. It should be arriving soon.

I tried playing the last MGS, but the cutscenes and what not were just too cheesy and it put me off. I heard this is a bit different though, so here's hoping.

Soldato
I'm about 30+ hours in, and having a blast.
It really nails the "just 5 more minutes" feeling to keep you wanting more.

I'll just make 1 more delivery.
I'll just go over the top of that hill.
I'll just try and complete that section of road.
*Looks at clock, 2 hours has passed* :D

Saw a humorous YouTube comment for the back of the box quote.
"Post apocalyptic delivery man scares ghosts away with bottles of his own pee and poop."

YES !!! That's exactly it :D

Associate
I am undecided because of the price. And I played the first 4-5 hours with a friend on a 65" 4k OLED TV and surround speakers that would make my flat shake - and games he shows me like that don't tend to do it for me when I try them at home :(

Soldato
I'm on the fence atm. Everything tells me I wont like it but then watching videos has me deeply intrigued.

Separately I'm not sure why anyone pays attention to those wab videos, many many things wrong with the guy.

Back
Top Bottom