Being seen and being safe.

Soldato
What are people using to minimize the risk to health and safety with regard to getting the perfect shot?
A few days ago I was on an isolated road/bridge at night with no footpath trying to get a shot of the river rushing past a hotel that had a chain bridge attached to it. The road also had a blind/ sharp bend to it that pushes traffic in your direction "out of nowhere". There is no street lighting. I had a torch on me but obviously when doing a long exposure I would switch it off. Is there anything you can use/wear by way of lighting that won't spoil the shot to help keep you that bit safer whilst doing the exposure? Am I right in assuming a red flashing diode/led would help with regard to unexpected traffic situation ? I've just been reading about red flashlight made for astronomical viewing. I'm also thinking about some stick on reflective material.

Last edited:
Soldato
What are people using to minimize the risk to health and safety with regard to getting the perfect shot?
A few days ago I was on an isolated road/bridge at night with no footpath trying to get a shot of the river rushing past a hotel that had a chain bridge attached to it. The road also had a blind/ sharp bend to it that pushes traffic in your direction "out of nowhere". There is no street lighting. I had a torch on me but obviously when doing a long exposure I would switch it off. Is there anything you can use/wear by way of lighting that won't spoil the shot to help keep you that bit safer whilst doing the exposure? Am I right in assuming a red flashing diode/led would help with regard to unexpected traffic situation ? I've just been reading about red flashlight made for astronomical viewing. I'm also thinking about some stick on reflective material.

The red head torches are to preserve night vision and their light will be picked up by any modern camera.

Wear a reflective hi-vis vest if you’re anywhere near a road at night.

Soldato
Associate
Reflective tape on tripod legs works well.

It comes in black so doesn't stand out in daytime.

A reflective warning triangle placed around the bend should alert drivers to a hazard ahead.

Personally I wouldn't put myself in that situation.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice. There was a very limited risk of three cars per hour. I just wanted to minimize the risk with traffic that does seldom frequent the area. I've just acquired a new coat with the black reflective material on the arms plus a couple of the lights mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom