The Tesla Thread

Soldato
The thing with the lack of supercharger is that the network is always improving and even non Tesla chargers are becoming a lot more common therefore in a year or 2 it may be a waste of money getting a LR in this country’s:

In a year or two, maybe. That was also the thought when we bought our Zoe 4 years ago and if anything the infrastructure got worse during those 4 years as it became more unreliable (Ecotricity), fragmented and expensive. There does seem to be an effort from Tesla right now to improve the Supercharger network but at the same time it is getting a lot busier and they are having huge problems getting power to sites, many sites have been listed as Coming in 2018, Coming in 2019, etc. Hopefully things will improve but I decided to buy the car for what is available today, not what I hope is around in 2 years time.

Soldato
The supercharger network is a game changer IMO. It will be a good few years before there will be enough fast chargers to cope with the demand of electric cars. We should have V3 superchargers by then too.

There are lots of decent electric cars out however if you do decent miles Tesla is the least stressful choice

Looking forward to getting mine back from the bodyshop tomorrow.

Soldato
Couple of things from today....
  • Two runs up and down to Glasgow - efficiency is greatly reduced in the cold/wet/wind - 61/69/64/61% efficiency on the 4 legs (around 35-37 miles each leg). 70 mph mainly. So for 35 miles driven it was around 25% battery used - Ergo - max range in my SR+ would be around 140 miles in this weather.
  • Auto dipping beams are excellent - really impressive - very quick and accurate.
  • Wipers are still garbage - I mean really poor in light rain/road spray. They need sorted asap.
  • Also due to emergency road works, I decided to turn off main road on way home and head cross country and dashcam appears to have caught a pretty big smash in front of me - Everyone was ok, police attended really quickly but both sets of airbags deployed on both the cars.

Soldato
  • Wipers are still garbage - I mean really poor in light rain/road spray. They need sorted asap.

The next update is supposed to include the first iteration of Tesla's 'Deep Rain' neural network for the wipers. Hopefully that will improve their functioning. I know, it's like we're living in a parallel universe. Self-learning wipers.

Soldato
My M3 SR+ is my first RWD. Bit of over-steer coming out of a roundabout and onto a dual carridgeway ramp last night - interesting experience for someone who doesn't race! I wasn't pushing it harder or any faster than I've ever pushed by Fiesta ST or Golf GTD. Does make me worry for winter...

You'll feel the car move from the seat of your pants in a RWD car but will learn to keep the pedal applied with more confidence. The stability control is top notch and will stop any excessive over-steer so long as you're not provoking it of course!

Have a search for Dirty Tesla winter driving on YT for some insight though he does have AWD. I had no issue last winter in an i3 even with the regen still enabled on packed snow. If you feel you're sliding in the worse conditions with regen you can reduce it and enable the slip start so you don't get stuck.

Soldato
given the ev torque can you see, from instruments, if there has been a slippage on any wheels, even if it has been corrected ?
regen could presumably create oversteer, that's what your alluding to ?, if it braked the back wheels in excess of the front ones going into a corner
on local muddy roads, would be interesting to know whether stability gets triggered as a reminder of road surface;

nam

nam

Soldato
finally got 36.2.1 on my perf. Not enjoying the hold option have gone back to creep. Also now no YT or Netflix on LTE have to thether to phone first

Soldato
finally got 36.2.1 on my perf. Not enjoying the hold option have gone back to creep. Also now no YT or Netflix on LTE have to thether to phone first

Ah, you're a creep. I knew it! Well, at least they give you options. Are you noticing the performance boost? I know it's not really the best weather to test that out.

Soldato
Ah, you're a creep. I knew it! Well, at least they give you options. Are you noticing the performance boost? I know it's not really the best weather to test that out.

Definitely feels a touch faster 40-70 mainly.

Netflix appears to be back working on LTE.

FSD is also miles better since V10, no more abandoned lane changes and phantom braking.

Associate
Anyone else feel like Tesla are just trolling their customer group and the rest of the world? The car looks like it was thrown together in the 70's dipped in paint thinner and left to rot in a barn.

This week on barn finds....

Man of Honour
I think he referring to the truck, there is a separate thread for that. The Model 3 is pretty much a conventional looking car.

I do wonder if they'll start doing cyber versions of the other cars, imagine there will be a market for it give the 200k orders so far... (although the tweet to say no new product unveils for a while would suggest otherwise).

Soldato
Well it could have been the best truck (pickup) design ever but they can't make em so why not leave a lasting impression and get more free marketing!

Anyway for stat nerds I've received and installed my Bjorn Nyland inspired purchase of an OBDII port plus Scan My Tesla app. The install is a bit unnerving as you have to isolate the car and then power down until you hear the thunk under the passenger seat to indicate the traction battery has disconnected. Then install the break-out cable in the back of the centre console between the front seats. Once done a BT dongle provides connectivity to the Scan My Tesla app.

I've posted an example image below of some of the more significant stats I've been monitoring. Mostly I'm interested in the relationship between battery conditions and charging/regen/power variations throughout the year.

Most significant thing I learnt from the Nyland vids was the battery temp is controlled very closely and swings from 25 C for driving and 50 C for the most rapid charging!

Q5aKoHO.jpg.png

Back
Top Bottom