Logburner lining of fireplace with board & paint advice

Caporegime
For reference for anybody reading with an equally tight spot, the clearance around this unit is 2" to each side, and around 5" at the back. Don't be afraid to push the boundaries of the burner output, this performs extremely well and is powerful enough to eliminate the heating system in an old uninsulated large 3 storey stone house. It also has the capability of being hooked up to the radiator system at a later date too which sounds rather good. A smaller burner didn't interest me at all as per the small one in skodamarks post, it's not the same prospect as we actually wish to use this thing as a primary heat source. :)

A mate has vermiculite boards around his, they are about 0.5 inch thick though so that is going to reduce your existing clearance

Soldato
How much does it cost these days to have a standalone log burner installed excluding price of log burner?

I have open fireplace ready to use.

As much or as little as you have the pocket for tbh.

your first job is getting your chimney swept and inspected (smoke bomb).
If that's OK, you don't need a liner.

Soldato
As much or as little as you have the pocket for tbh.

your first job is getting your chimney swept and inspected (smoke bomb).
If that's OK, you don't need a liner.

Excellent news, it should pass a smoke bomb test ok as it was swept at start of year (and smoke tested) shortly before I had solid fuel back boiler CH taken out.

Associate
Has anyone used Hardi backer board to board out the inside of a fireplace, the company says it ok for a logburner. I don't know which to go for this cheap option or Skamotec fire board? A plaster skimmed the inside of a fireplace when renovating a room in our old house, plastering cracked as soon as we had the logburner going.

Associate
Hardibacker is great, no need to pay for more. I've lined mine with it and painted with emulsion - no issues and all signed off by building control.

Back
Top Bottom