Show us your kitty cats

VoG

VoG

Soldato
We've tried Dreamies and a couple of different foods, including what he had at his old home.

He spent about half an hour out and about in the room today. But still not had anything to eat or drink since Saturday morning

Give it time, remember he ain't a young cat & he's had a major upset, as in being re-homed, young cats come round quicker, older ones not so much, they can take a lot more time & care, just go about your daily lives as per usual & don't try to force the issue, which will only reinforce the negative feelings & stress he's under due to being re-homed.

Associate
We've tried Dreamies and a couple of different foods, including what he had at his old home.

He spent about half an hour out and about in the room today. But still not had anything to eat or drink since Saturday morning

Patience is absolutely key for any new household cat. Having him associate you with food and treats is also a good way to get started. Just sit in the room for a while after you out some food out each time and see how he responds. No need to approach him if he does come out, just let him eat so he gets more comfortable in your presence. Cats are all about body language, so if he can see you from a distance just chilled out and not approaching him and his space, he will feel much more relaxed.

Leaving things that you have worn in his room, like a jumper or something, can help him get used to your scent.

After having fostered probably 30-40 cats of varying age over the past few years, you get used to the amount of time it takes, and you get over that initial worry. We have had care of some cats that will be months before they even let us touch them. They all have their own pace.

If however he doesn't eat or drink anything at all, not even a bite for more than 48-72 hours, then I would consider a visit to the vet. If he has just a few bites or treats before retreating, that's okay, but not eating at all can be dangerous. If he at all seems lethargic or weak, definitely get him to a vet.

I'm sure Fernley will be up and about in soon, you just gotta let him take his time. Hopefully we can have some pics of him soon!

Soldato

They'll typically take a bite or drink when no-ones around they feel safer that way. So don't panic about it unless they're obviously sick or unwell.

Associate
Here is our Ginger (named by my son) at seven months old, the picture was taken by a friend trying out her iPhone 11 camera :o

PeZ7oCU.jpg

And for scale, here is Ginger being held by a friend yesterday (another cat lover) :D

dZvOqCI.jpg

Slightly terrified how big he will get....

Soldato
Yes to both.
LOL dont be too alarmed.

One of my male cats had a urethral obstruction from eating dry food all the time and would groan when it woke up. The way I found out was because I woke up and he was trying to pee on my bed and only a little came out and it was all glittery.

Im not sure if you know about this but some males are more susceptible to it if eating certain dry foods. Its basicaly kidney stones. Is it having problems peeing? Not trying to pee but actual peeing as mine would try all the time but only a little would come out at a time. If so get it to the vet.

On the other hand it could just feel lonely at night.

Soldato
Usually we get moaning when the litter trays aren't clean enough.

We have 4 and recently he's taken to not using them if they even have a hint of pee in them.

I have mates who don't empty them for days and the cat still go in them but no, ours are so picky.

Man of Honour
I am after some advice and would be grateful for your input or anyone who has been in a similar situation. This is rather long winded so please bear with me as I think you need the whole picture.

Meet Garfield, this is him currently curled up safe and warm on our sofa.

rIwrtpa.jpg

He is not our cat, however his owner has seemingly abandoned him. Let me tell you his story. Garfield (we didn't know his name at this point) has been coming over our way for years and is a friendly cat who wouldn't hurt a fly because he is so laid back. I have never seen him raise a paw to another cat even when they scream at him. He loves attention and purrs his head off very loudly when he is stroked (when I say loud I mean very loud and I have never heard any cat like him). Something changed a couple of years ago and has kept spending more and more time around here including sleeping rough in the garden under the bushes. What particularly worried me was that he would cower from us when we first reached out our hand to pet him so was someone hitting him? We tried to find out who his owner was but gave up in the end. Things continued and he followed me around the garden when I was working in it, if I was under the car he was there with me. One day I was under the car fitting a new exhaust and lying a big sheet of cardboard. I reached out for a spanner only to snatch my hand back quickly when it disappeared into a load of fur. I quickly turned over and there he was lying next to me. I didn't even hear or see him coming!! Another case of that stealth cat thing that they do.

Last winter we started to get concerned as he seemed to be here all of the time and was here at 5am when the wife was getting ready for work. By Christmas his coat which is not that long but it isn't anywhere near as short as my two cats coats are, was in a bad state with matted bits everywhere and he couldn't clean himself properly. We took him in on Christmas day to see if he would settle and he spent most of the day with us and had some turkey and proper cat food. Same thing on Boxing day. In the meantime I had come across our slicker brush which we had from back when we had a house bunny. Not knowing how he would respond to brushing I got the wife to stroke his head while I gently started to tease out the matting. I needn't have worried because as it turned out he actually loves being brushed and it fire up the purr monster within him again. I got all of the matting out of his back and sides a lot of which had formed around those damn sticky ball seed things (our houses back onto fields). His belly wasn't too bad and he wouldn't let me touch it anyway. We still didn't know his name but we all called him drooly cat around here as he dools a lot due to not having many teeth. I Had a knock on the door on Boxing day evening and it was my cat loving neighbour from next door who through a friend of a friend had tracked down where he lives. I put on my boots and big coat and picked Garfield up and carried him home (the next couple of streest over from us) and he lay down on one arm while being stroked by the other. I knocked on the door to be met with a scruffy drunk chap who just said "what do you want"? Charming. I said is this your cat to which he called his wife and said "your bloody cat's here". She came and said Garfield where have you been. I explained that he had been coming over our way for years and had started spending more and more time over there including overnight. She said that he hadn't been home for several days and he only stops off for something to eat then disappears again.

Now I don't know about you guys but if either of my cats are out longer than their usual times I go into full on panic mode and go out searching. I even cancelled my honeymoon because my youngest cat, Abby went missing while my neighbour was cat sitting them. She told me the Sunday evening (we got married Saturday morning) and we dropped everything and drove the 720 miles from Cornwall to here overnight only to find her within 15 minutes of getting home and starting my search!! Anyway, I digress, back to Garfield.

It turns out he is called Garfield and is 15 years old. His owner explained to me that she has 3 young children and a dog and thinks that he doesn't like the noise. She also told me that he doesn't like staying in, is not really a people cat and doesn't like being stroked. All of this time he was still lying on my arm with the other hand stroking him and hw was purring his head off. This didn't sit right with me especially as he has spent the last two days in with us being brushed and generally spoilt. He was her cat though so I handed him over and gave her my name, address and mobile number. Next morning he was around again but we were off out so didn't take him in. We came back in the evening and no Garfield so we hoped that he went home. He was briefly in the garden the next couple of days but we didn't see much of him. A couple of days later I got a phonecall from his owner asking if I had seen him to which I replied not for a while. It was snowing outside so I turned on the outside floodlight, grabbed my torch and went to look for him only to find him curled up and shivering under one of our bushes so I picked him up and took him home again. I took him home several more times over the next few weeks after recieving texts from his owner asking if I had seen him. March came around and there was a knock on the door. It was his owner looking for Garfield and about bloody time too. I took her into the garden and pointed out the places he sleeps and said that she could come around anytime she likes to look for him. She did for another couple of times then at the end of March there was a knock on the door again. It was his owner and she explained to me that they were going away on holiday for two weeks as they have just found out that she is pregnant again (how the hell anybody could give her a portion once to get her pregnant let alone four times is beyond me!!) and asked if I would mind feeding him when they are away and that she would pop around with the food before she goes. First thought I had was why not put him in a cattery but didn't ask her and instead said that I would. Needless to say the food never materialised and off they went. I didn't mind feeding him as he is gorgeous and such a affectionate chap. He was still sleeping rough but at least it was warming up by now.

Two weeks came and went then another and another and no sign of his owner. Garfields coat was starting to get matted again so I gave him another brush. One of my other neighbours found out that the mother of his owner lives on the other side of the estate and is the local Cats Protection lady. We went around to her and explained what had been going on. She said that her daughter (garfields owner) had been going through a rough time. Her husband lost his job again last year and was drinking heavily (about the time that Garfield started cowering from anyone reaching out a hand to pet him) and now she is pregnant again which was unplanned. She said he has a loving home with her daughter but that the children are noisy and pull his tail which he doesn't like. She asked us to pass on to our neighbours could everyone stop feeding him and petting him and he will go home. I agreed even though this was a load of bull because he had been coming around long before we were asked to feed him. Of course this didn't work and he was still spending most of his time over our way. My neighbour went around to see the mother to see if she would get Cats Protection to rehome Garfield. The mother gave her a load of abuse stating that he already has a loving home. A couple of days later Garfield had a bloody nose and blood in the corner of his mouth. I looked him over and he had a cut nose that I gently cleaned up and looked in his mouth to see he had cracked one of his fangs in half. I phoned his owner only to go straight to voicemail. I left a message to which I still didn't have a reply a couple of hours later. I sent a couple of texts to which I also got no reply. I took Garfield around to the mother and explained how I had found him to which she thanked me and said she would take him to the vets. That was pretty much the last contact I had with that family.

Since then Garfield has still been staying over our way. My neighbour who also has two cats of her own has a spare shed so rather than have Garfield sleeping rough I gave her a spare bed to put in there for him and he know sleeps in there at night. During the day if it was nice he would be in our or our neighbours garden, in her shed if it was raining. We take turns feeding him and both put out fresh water for him that gets changed several times a day. In all this time there has been no contact from his owner and she has not been looking for him, in other words she couldn't give a damn. Well I do. Garfield has gotten under my skin and with the very cold days and nights we have been having it has been breaking my heart seeing him outside so my wife and I mad a decision and started letting him in two weeks ago. He now spends all day with us and is in for around 14 hours a day getting spoiled. His coat is in a much better condition but I still need to do his underside for which I have ordered a couple of dematting brushes. He looks so different that my neighbour was at the owners mothers last week and she didn't even recognise him and had to be told it was Garfield. We can't get him to settle at night though so he is still sleeping in next doors shed. We are trying every night and thought we succeeded last night until he wanted out again. It's too cold now for him to be out, it was minus 5 last night and I worry about him. We will keep trying.

We are probably on dodgy ground with regards to garfield. We don't actually own him so don't know when his booster is due. I have been worming and spot on flea him but I imagine that if he should require attention from the vet that they won't do anything on my say so as we are not the actual owners. So what should I do. Do I confront the owner and try to see if she would sign him over to me or carry on like this bearing in mind he will need his booster at some point? I just don't know as I have never been in this situation before. We love him to bits and he is a gorgeous cat. He has a loving, safe home here (during the day anyway) and to be honest he is so much better off with us. Even our cats are ok with him. Abby our youngest gives him a hiss but that come down from the full on orchestra that she used to perform. Jade, our eldest get's on with him fine. So what should I do?

Soldato
I am after some advice and would be grateful for your input or anyone who has been in a similar situation. This is rather long winded so please bear with me as I think you need the whole picture.

Meet Garfield, this is him currently curled up safe and warm on our sofa.
Terrible situation to be in. If it was me Id just carry on feeding and looking after him and if the owner ever comes round Id just say yeah Ive seem him about he seems okay. I certainly wouldnt be letting her in to get him thats for sure. She probably does love him but has a lot of crap at home to deal with.

Just let her know he is safe and not injured and that should soothe her mind a bit. As for the booster bit I havent got a clue. If I was in your situation Id probably take the cat and move out of the area.;)

Man of Honour
He's still curled up nice and snuggy warm on the sofa after having his tea. I need to put him through the catflap to see if he is micro chipped.

Take him in, get him a booster. Unless he's had one very recently I wouldn't worry about giving another. Deny all knowledge if asked. :p

I really don't think he has had one since at least before Easter. She said before they went on holiday in March that she needed to do his spot on flea treatment and that never happened. We have done him twice since then and wormed him.

Terrible situation to be in. If it was me Id just carry on feeding and looking after him and if the owner ever comes round Id just say yeah Ive seem him about he seems okay. I certainly wouldnt be letting her in to get him thats for sure. She probably does love him but has a lot of crap at home to deal with.

Just let her know he is safe and not injured and that should soothe her mind a bit. As for the booster bit I havent got a clue. If I was in your situation Id probably take the cat and move out of the area.;)

She is not interested in the slightest. If she was she would have responded to my phone call and texts when he broke his tooth. Her mother actually got him sorted for that and then the next day he was back around here again. He may be 15 years old but in that 15 years I would say that his owner never spent any time on him. It seems like she wanted a cat and then just fed him and never got to know him. It's really sad because he is such a affectionate chap. Moving away is a bit extreme!! :D

Soldato
Fernley is settling in now. He is drinking and has eaten a little food. He spends most of the day outside his travel basket thing and sits on top of the cat tree. He also uses his litter tray finally (he must have been bursting!)

I've spent quite a bit of time in him room just talking and after about 10 minutes or so he will move closer and let me stroke him. When I stop he nudges my hand showing where I need to stroke next!

We might let him explore some more of the house soon once we've had a thorough look around for places to stop him going (e.g. Gap behind the washing machine).

C5k71bq.jpg

We set up a Spy Cam to see if he was drinking or not at night. Bit of an overreaction maybe but it is actually really good for £30. It detects motion, records it to the cloud *somewhere* has IR night vision recording too.

ATtpWVx.png

Man of Honour
I've inherited a lovely tabby from my mum; fourteen year old Angel. Sadly my mum passed away last week after a long illness and, as per her wishes, Angel went to stay with a neighbour. Angel knew the neighbour well and she had been coming to the house to check and feed her regularly. When we knew my mum was unlikely to come out of hospital we agreed for Angel to go to the neighbours house. Unfortunately the neighbour has another cat and when she took in Angel they didn't get on, with lots of fighting and hissing. Poor Angel is an elderly house cat who originally came from a rescue home and spends most of the day sleeping. She didn't like being in a house with another cat despite the neighbours best intentions. So I offered to take her instead.

It was a four hour drive home with Angel loudly mewing for three of them! I've never owned a cat before but she seems to have settled in well the last few days. The poor thing has lost both owners this year as not only has my mum passed away but her partner did a few months ago too. So she must be quite distressed with them disappearing from her life and changing houses a couple of times. But we all adore her and my two teenage kids are delighted to have a pet. She sits on the top floor landing most of the time (three story house so it's as high as she can get) and she's getting more and more friendly each day as she gets to trust us all and after getting so much love and attention (we only stroke her when it's clear she's OK with it). Angel has found her favourite spots; the landing, a clothes cupboard and on top of my daughters bed (much to my daughters delight).

She's awesome!

Zeia4nz.jpg

6xCEpKX.jpg

za27RNj.jpg

Soldato
nKoOj8C.png

Here's my little girl, Cleo. She's 10 now, absolutey love her to bits. She's been there for me through so much, death of best mate, father etc always there to comfort me.

Sometimes I wake up in the morning and she's in my girlfriends side of the bed just looking at me haha.

Back
Top Bottom