Spec me an AVR

Soldato
I'm looking to buy my first 'real' AVR but with so much choice I'm struggling to find the right one.

My current setup consists of a 65" Samsung Q9FN, Q Acoustic 3000 series fronts and centre with the sub and rears legacy speakers from my old LG SR906. Obviously I'll be replacing the rears and sub in due course but I want to focus on the AVR first. Until now I've fed everything into the Q9FN and then out of this to the SR906 over optical. 'Ok' for the most part but not for Hi-Res audio.

Media consumption consists of Sky Q, Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube and a lot of high bitrate X265 10bit-HDR Hi-Res audio content. Maybe some Tidal/Qobuz down the line.

Devices consist of Sky Q, Minix U9-H, LG UBK90 and a PS4 but this line-up is fluid and likely to change.

I like the look of the Yamaha RXS602 but not sure if this is overkill or not.

What would you recommend?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup, use a STR-1080 here and is a pretty capable unit. Not had any issues with it so far and is powering 4 floorstanders and centre channel without any bother with enough dynamic range and impact to make me happy.

I would keep an eye out now and then for Sony Centre Refurbished unit if you don't mind a ding or scratch and can possibly wait. Got mine from there as they pop up for £279 now and then but come with a year warranty anyways. Mine had a slightly dented left panel but otherwise no issues. But even at £400 new, is a very nice unit IMO.

Back
Top Bottom