• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

annoying gpu problem! help :( black screens

Associate
so i had a 2070 super at the start of sept and after installing it i was getting games randomly going black for about a second then back to normal then black again a few seconds after that. In cod mw when i died it would go black, miss half the kill cam then come back on, spawn and go black again and would work fine until i died again. Playing other games every 30 seconds to 1min it would happen then again 30 seconds to 1min later. However using DDU i fixed the issue and it went away UNTIL i changed my card again yesterday. I have the exact same issue again, tried DDU twice with older drivers and then again with the newest beta drivers but the issue is still there.
noticed on msi afterburner the power usage of the card drops from 98%-5% for the time the screen goes black, boost clock also drops from 1905-335 at the same time.
running a cooler master Gx 750 w psu but dont think its a psu issue as the problem went away until i changed the card over.
any suggestions on what to check?

Soldato
I've just had a gaming session of a few hours and after coming out the game and browsing the net, my 2nd screen was flickering on and off every 5-10 seconds.
I had a quick google and it would seem a common issue with the 2070 series, and was previously reported as an issue with the 970.
I cannot see anything from nVidia stating they'd fixed or were looking into this.

Permabanned
Just they fixed this on 1000 series so would assume it would not happen again on the 2000 series but here is the info.

NVIDIA "Maxwell" and "Pascal" graphics architectures introduced support for modern display connectivity to keep up with the breakneck pace at which display resolutions are scaling up. The two introduce support for DisplayPort 1.4 and 1.3, however the implementation is less than perfect. Some of the newer monitors that leverage DisplayPort 1.4 or 1.3 standards don't function as designed on "Maxwell" (GeForce GTX 900 series) and "Pascal" (GeForce 10-series) graphics cards, with users reporting a range of bugs from blank screens until the operating system loads, to frozen boot sequences.

Unfortunately, these issues cannot be fixed by driver updates, and require graphics card BIOS updates. Luckily, you won't be at the mercy of lethargic AIC partners looking to limit their warranty claims by going slow on BIOS updates, or NVFlash rocket-science. NVIDIA released a tool which can detect if your graphics card needs the update, and then updates the BIOS for you, from within Windows. The app first unloads your driver, and flashes your graphics card BIOS (a process which must not be interrupted, lest you end up with an expensive brick)."

https://www.nvidia.com/content/Driv...ter_1.0-x64.exe&firmware=1&lang=us&type=Other

Soldato
Just they fixed this on 1000 series so would assume it would not happen again on the 2000 series but here is the info.

NVIDIA "Maxwell" and "Pascal" graphics architectures introduced support for modern display connectivity to keep up with the breakneck pace at which display resolutions are scaling up. The two introduce support for DisplayPort 1.4 and 1.3, however the implementation is less than perfect. Some of the newer monitors that leverage DisplayPort 1.4 or 1.3 standards don't function as designed on "Maxwell" (GeForce GTX 900 series) and "Pascal" (GeForce 10-series) graphics cards, with users reporting a range of bugs from blank screens until the operating system loads, to frozen boot sequences.

Unfortunately, these issues cannot be fixed by driver updates, and require graphics card BIOS updates. Luckily, you won't be at the mercy of lethargic AIC partners looking to limit their warranty claims by going slow on BIOS updates, or NVFlash rocket-science. NVIDIA released a tool which can detect if your graphics card needs the update, and then updates the BIOS for you, from within Windows. The app first unloads your driver, and flashes your graphics card BIOS (a process which must not be interrupted, lest you end up with an expensive brick)."

https://www.nvidia.com/content/Driv...ter_1.0-x64.exe&firmware=1&lang=us&type=Other
oh heck....do I really wanna trust them?!?!

Associate
OP
Well using ddu for a 3rd game and going back to some really old drivers and then up to the latest seems to have fixed it again....

Back
Top Bottom