• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9900KS...

Associate
I run mine on a 360AIO. You need a good bin and you need to learn to tune. Example if you're running a GB board, you should run offset voltage as it'll lead to a much lower 20-40mv voltage on load. This is mine doing P95 29.6b6 smalll fft's non avx. For AVX, I run occt large/avx2.

A good 9900KS will perform like mine or slightly better. Bad bins are bad bins.

https://imgur.com/t1booxy < that's from a quick test I was doing with someone else to correlate our findings with offset but you get the point. My daily is 5.2ghz no avx offset. I reset hwinfo so i'd get a 15min consistent test after everything was warmed up and at temp to get true averages.

Ofcourse you want as low temps as possible but this idea of some exotic cooling needed to handle a 9900k and especially a 9900ks (which is the topic btw) is way overblown.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arct...ormance-cpu-water-cooler-280mm-hs-07c-ar.html This would be fine. There's a 360mm online that's even cheaper than this. Yes you can get a really good 360mm AIO for 70gbp. Yes it'll handle a 9900ks just fine.

Last edited:
Associate
will still keep my 9900k 5.3 all cores at 1.38 v/core temps are 50c/60 in games 85c in some benchmarks all cooled with a alphacool eisbaer extreme AIO check it out can be had on overclockers for £220+ delivery

Associate
Getting mine tomorrow its finally dispatched
and im ready to go..

9.jpg

6a.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I run mine on a 360AIO. You need a good bin and you need to learn to tune. Example if you're running a GB board, you should run offset voltage as it'll lead to a much lower 20-40mv voltage on load. This is mine doing P95 29.6b6 smalll fft's non avx. For AVX, I run occt large/avx2.

A good 9900KS will perform like mine or slightly better. Bad bins are bad bins.

https://imgur.com/t1booxy < that's from a quick test I was doing with someone else to correlate our findings with offset but you get the point. My daily is 5.2ghz no avx offset. I reset hwinfo so i'd get a 15min consistent test after everything was warmed up and at temp to get true averages.

Ofcourse you want as low temps as possible but this idea of some exotic cooling needed to handle a 9900k and especially a 9900ks (which is the topic btw) is way overblown.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arct...ormance-cpu-water-cooler-280mm-hs-07c-ar.html This would be fine. There's a 360mm online that's even cheaper than this. Yes you can get a really good 360mm AIO for 70gbp. Yes it'll handle a 9900ks just fine.

With a chiller you can go for 5.3Ghz for example. Just set it to 20c. Prime 95 small fft is a great way to see if you have the right cooling and are stable. Most 9900k cups would go right away too 90c and then start overheating after a while. That's why it's 5.2GHz @ 1.325 volts avx offset of 2. Most test's you will be stable but as soon as you run small fft then the problems start. Temp issues, restarts and erroring. Been that way with every cpu I have had.

Most water Cooling hits a brick wall at some point. Adding a chiller is expensive but will get you better overclocking results. With a chiller you can prime all day every day at 64c, with the water temp set to 20c. Well above the dew point. You are getting away with a AIO but I bet if you correctly stress tested you would have issues.

If you can't run prime95 for 10 hours small fft and 10 hours max fft. You are not stable. This includes temp. It's the whole point of running prime95. You want to make sure that no matter what program you run, you will be fine.

Note the cooler the cpu the less power it will need for a given frequency. So if you want to take the 9900k to the edge, then get a chiller. You have no choice. The same works for the 3800x, with a chiller you will hit 4.4Ghz all cores very easily. You might not even need to change stock settings.

The chiller will keep the water temp at 20c at least. Leads to a very stable over clock and higher frequencies.

8-pack will most likely bin the best cpu for the frequency he is aiming at. That way he can tune the settings and maximise performance and still cool it with water.

Even so if you want a top 3% over clock and don't want to bin 1000's of cpu''s then a chiller could help.

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
So this randomly turned up today from DPD..... :eek::D

XOY5Q6E.jpg.png

First tests show 5.3Ghz @ 1.350 & 5.2GHz @ 1.280 on a garbage Asus Z390 Maximus XI Extreme board with a EVGA 280mm AIO, ill pop it in a good board (EVGA Z390 Dark) next weekend.

Associate
would a kraken x62 be suffice for a 9900ks? and also looking to pair it up with the gigabyte z390 aorus master motherboard, heard good things about the vrm as i was going to get the hero so if anyone has that paired the 9900ks be good to hear some feedback thanks

Soldato
I've just built a new machine with a 9900KS in. What I'm struggling with is voltages: the out-of-the-box dynamic voltage is all over the place and going very high at times. I'm worried about longevity and heat, especially the latter as I'm in a very small mATX case. What are being seeing voltage wise stock, and are people setting a static voltage instead? Is it better to have dynamic voltage and that spiking occasionally but are low most of the time at idle, or a static voltage that's as low as possible for stable use?

Associate
I've just built a new machine with a 9900KS in. What I'm struggling with is voltages: the out-of-the-box dynamic voltage is all over the place and going very high at times. I'm worried about longevity and heat, especially the latter as I'm in a very small mATX case. What are being seeing voltage wise stock, and are people setting a static voltage instead? Is it better to have dynamic voltage and that spiking occasionally but are low most of the time at idle, or a static voltage that's as low as possible for stable use?

Hi mate. Please be specific, what sort of temps and voltages are you seeing at 5GHz? Also what CPU cooler are you using? Cheers.

(I have my vcore set at a fixed voltage, lower than auto, (1.3v and no LLC) and chip at 4.8GHz all cores. My temps seem 68-72c max when gaming, and i also run an mATX with a Noctua NH-U9S Heatsink CPU Cooler.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can see 80c+ under load and voltages of 1.4v for brief periods. The voltage is very dependent on what you are doing eg Prime95 different to AIDA different to a game etc

Using a Noctua NH-D15.

Associate
Thats a big cooler for an mATX! 140mm fans!

I would set everything manually. Auto is too high quite often, you should be able to drop it down to 1.36v and below for 5Ghz.

I have mine at a fixed voltage because dynamic was too hard to get stable. I am using less volts for 4.8Ghz than auto was using for 4.7Ghz, so i'm cooler and using less power!

Generally we are not running laptops so dont need all the power saving features like dynamic and C States etc. So I also have fixed clock speed of 4.8Ghz as it reduces latency on things like your M.2 drive as the clock speed doesn't have to step up from a low number when idle. I dont see a problem with a fixed voltage if its in the sensible range. Its Heat, plus High Voltage thats bad... 80c+ with 1.4v long term might be a little toasty...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom