Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Caporegime
As a new customer I’ve signed up for the following:

350mb
Phone
£37pm and £35 setup

Is this a decent deal?

does that include line rental? if so then good deal.

The normal price for 350MB is like £52 a month with no deals.

I'm currently on a deal where I get it for £36.50 for 6 months then £39.50 for 6 months so yours is slightly better.

They had just bumped me back up to £42.50 a month from £39 a month and if i waited another 6 months I'd be up to £50 a month.

Can you get it cheaper? Probably if you got the right person and you are prepared with the hassle and haggling with another 10 call centre workers. But it would be like £35 a month at best I imagine for all that hassle and even then it would be dependent on your luck.

I would go for it. You won't get much more off. I'd maybe try and get them to waive the £35 fee though.

Caporegime
Yeah, don't accept that. Call them back. I was offered 200mb (broadband only, no phone) for £30.

I don't see the point in the slower speeds tbh.

I'm paying £36.50 for 350MB no setup fees. Then £39.50 for the last 6 months.

Or I can get half the speed for what £7 cheaper a month? It's best just paying for 350MB IMO.

Associate
does that include line rental? if so then good deal.

The normal price for 350MB is like £52 a month with no deals.

I'm currently on a deal where I get it for £36.50 for 6 months then £39.50 for 6 months so yours is slightly better.

They had just bumped me back up to £42.50 a month from £39 a month and if i waited another 6 months I'd be up to £50 a month.

Can you get it cheaper? Probably if you got the right person and you are prepared with the hassle and haggling with another 10 call centre workers. But it would be like £35 a month at best I imagine for all that hassle and even then it would be dependent on your luck.

I would go for it. You won't get much more off. I'd maybe try and get them to waive the £35 fee though.

Yep, £37pm all inclusive for the 350mb package and phone line. It was a couple of quid cheaper opting for the phone line which we won’t even use really.

Will push for the £35 install fee back and walk way happy with the above package/deal.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Plus the cheeky git called me out about switching as the next fastest provider only offer like 67mb in my area and pointed out that im using around 2TB a month :D

However, they don't seem to understand that speed and volume are not necessarily linked. I use a lot of data and was told that I should be on a package faster than 100Mbps considering the amount of data I use, but he had no answer when I pointed out that I almost never saturate my current connection.

Associate
Knocked another £3.50 off for 12 months bringing it to £35.50 per month and said if i call back after 12 months they will apply the same discount and will always get that same price.

So phone & 200mb for £35.50 which i guess is decent.

Explained works out about the same as the new customer deal considering they have to pay a set up fee and something about a double bill for the first month and their price will go up after 12months.

Plus the cheeky git called me out about switching as the next fastest provider only offer like 67mb in my area and pointed out that im using around 2TB a month :D

The new customer deal is £30pm and when you add the £35 setup fee is £33p.m.

I cancelled two days ago and retentions just called back. Offered the current deal of Bigger Bundle for £1 less then new customers at £44 (we had that plus Sky Movies for £60). The previous best offer was £69 without Sky Movies.

But when I said we would also be getting Netflix from Sky included for £45 (80Mb fibre, phone, Entertainment, Ultimate on Demand including Netflix) she threw in Amazon Prime for free so that could be useful over the next year so that was what we agreed to.

Bigger Bundle (200Mb, phone, TV) and Amazon Prime for £44. One of the easiest, quickest and more successful negotiations over the last few years.

Associate
Just signed up for the £25pm M100 internet and phone Black Friday deal, with Topcashback £125 that makes its £17.50 a month for 12 months. Back to £49 after the 12 months though so I'll have to renegotiate!

One question - I was with Virgin a few years back and although speeds and pings were fine for normal browsing, gaming etc, YouTube would buffer all the time and the quality was bad etc, basically made it unwatchable and was the main reason for me swapping to Sky. I believe it was down to VM using their own servers for caching and it not performing properly. Are people still having this issue?

Permabanned
Just signed up for the £25pm M100 internet and phone Black Friday deal, with Topcashback £125 that makes its £17.50 a month for 12 months. Back to £49 after the 12 months though so I'll have to renegotiate!

One question - I was with Virgin a few years back and although speeds and pings were fine for normal browsing, gaming etc, YouTube would buffer all the time and the quality was bad etc, basically made it unwatchable and was the main reason for me swapping to Sky. I believe it was down to VM using their own servers for caching and it not performing properly. Are people still having this issue?

On the few times I have used youtube over the past year i have had no issues. Kids watch it far more than me and I have had no whinging so I think its *ok. (*not a scientific survey:p)

Soldato
The new customer deal is £30pm and when you add the £35 setup fee is £33p.m.

I cancelled two days ago and retentions just called back. Offered the current deal of Bigger Bundle for £1 less then new customers at £44 (we had that plus Sky Movies for £60). The previous best offer was £69 without Sky Movies.

But when I said we would also be getting Netflix from Sky included for £45 (80Mb fibre, phone, Entertainment, Ultimate on Demand including Netflix) she threw in Amazon Prime for free so that could be useful over the next year so that was what we agreed to.

Bigger Bundle (200Mb, phone, TV) and Amazon Prime for £44. One of the easiest, quickest and more successful negotiations over the last few years.
Nice, mine seems crappy in comparison. Will hold out longer next year when it comes to renewing and just demand 30days notice. They are bloody good at arguing to keep you so will be more vigilant :)

Associate
Cheers for the YouTube feedback guys - fingers crossed it all goes live smoothly on Saturday.

Tried to swap to NowTV broadband and the failed to take over the line on Friday (but disconnected my working Vodafone service of course leaving us with no internet!). They have been feeding me lies and moving the goalposts since I rang on Saturday morning... 5 phone calls later and I told them to just forget it and cancelled it!

Soldato
Virgin Media have really peed me off today,

Internet has been dodgy all week,Keep going on/off,I taken no notice as it seemed to resolve itself but past couple of days its been going off and keep "restarting" so i phoned up and the guy in India couldn't fix the problem on his end saying my box in the house was not responding, so set me up with an engineer visit today between 12-4,5 clock came still no engineer.

So i phoned support again waited 20 minutes for them to answer the phone to then be told my engineer had been cancelled,as you can imagine im furious at hearing this because not only have i had to loose a day work but take holiday from work to stay in for this,i couldn't go out or do anything between 12-4,i then asked why it was cancelled and why nobody bothered to let me know he wasn't coming.

he made out an "ingenious" engineer found that the problem was actually a problem in the area in the main box so when thats found out they cancel any near by home engineer visits,i said right okay BUT dont you guys bother to let your customers who are waiting in know they wont be coming? and he said someone should have..i said well they didn't.

So annoying,i bet if i was to stop paying my bill they'd soon make an attempt to call me.

Associate
Are their any installers on the forum?
I have signed up to VM as the street has been recently fitted by them and the speeds are obviously very tempting when you have only ever had ADSL before.
The problem is, my drive and both my neighbors are all block paved, with no fencing separating them.
So I really don't see how they can route the cable from the path, yet they have provided VM access points to each house on the path.

Such as

No wall/turf/grass to the left either, just a single brick high block paver, then the next driveway starts.
Likely to be a "unable to service" when the installer see's it?

Associate
I've seen them dig out the mortar, run a cable through it, and then remortar over.
Would work I guess, I only ask as after googling it seems they will not touch tarmac or block paving anymore due to high complaints.
I would be fine with the cable being above ground and tacked to the side of the edging brick splitting the drives.

Don't know if they would be though, time will tell I guess.

Soldato
Are their any installers on the forum?
I have signed up to VM as the street has been recently fitted by them and the speeds are obviously very tempting when you have only ever had ADSL before.
The problem is, my drive and both my neighbors are all block paved, with no fencing separating them.
So I really don't see how they can route the cable from the path, yet they have provided VM access points to each house on the path.

Such as

No wall/turf/grass to the left either, just a single brick high block paver, then the next driveway starts.
Likely to be a "unable to service" when the installer see's it?

It's a bit late, but when that was done you could have had a bit of conduit put under the edge of the block paving. If it's done like a traditional block paving (ie gravel/sand/block, rather than all cemented in), it wouldn't be difficult to have someone lift the blocks near the edge, dig a little trench, put some conduit in and replace the blocks. VM will then be happy to shove the cable through the conduit.

You haven't shown us the edges, but if there's some sort of edge, lip, or groove, that's something they might be able to attach a cable to, but you really need it to be out of the way somehow so it's not damaged by people driving over it.

Associate
I got cold feet in the end and canceled the installation.
What I had to go through to do that was enough to put me off VM for a good long while, my lord! :mad:

I dread to think what it would take to sort a fault out.
I rely on stable internet too much, and for me, stability will always > speed - besides I do get the full 80/20 on my Sky BB - Just need to do something about the £51!! per month price for just internet, it goes up to in January - The reason I tried Virgin is because Sky for the first time in 6 years would not budge on price. (Comcast has a hand in it no dought...)

Associate
Finally rid of this poo stain of a company.

Funny, they put me through to retentions and the chap was like "Oh so why are you leaving us". Me, "multiple outages taking out both my TV and Internet during the 9 months or so I've had it". Him, "oh would you like us to look into that for you". Me, "well I raised it via an official complaint and it go nowhere, I've had nearly 67 outages lasting more than 4 hours in less than a year". Him, "ok I will process the termination for you".

Tip: if you are in the West London area (Area 21) do not get VM

:D

Back
Top Bottom