Giving up Nicotine

Associate
I've given up 3 or so times for a year or more and I've been an occasional (i.e. every weekend or two) smoker for numerous periods of my life as well. Currently a non-smoker for just over a year.
The first time was easy. I was 21 IIRC and had started training at the gym, started working and was optimistic about life. I think the fact that I was starting to get fitter and my positive mental attitude combined to make my body and mind completely reject cigarettes, and I assumed that I would become irresistible to women and generally be awesome at life if I quit smoking which sadly turned out to be BS :D
The second time I started road racing (bicycles) and convinced myself that I would become good if I stopped smoking (I was also training my nuts off before anyone points out that side of things). Unfortunately that also turned out to be untrue.
This last time, I had been smoking constantly for a few years and then managed to get it down to just every weekend or two for quite a while, but every time I bought a pack I would smoke about 5 and then realise that I wasn't enjoying them, struggle through another few then bin them. I would then go away and live life, then a week or two later I'd think "you know what, I really fancy a cigarette" and repeat the process. Even when I didn't crave a smoke, I would often talk myself into smoking by thinking something like "next time I drink alcohol I'll smoke anyway". In the end I got tired of that cycle, and forced myself to think about something else instead of talking myself into buying another pack. I'm now pretty good at that so can be realistic about occasionally wanted to smoke, but not letting those thoughts lead me astray. I haven't got any unrealistic expectations about the results of giving up this time either :)
I found that patches were useful for the first few days to take the edge off. I'm confident that they were actually doing something as well, as I once bought a different brand and they did absolutely jack. Good luck OP!

Soldato
I quit smoking 15 years ago, i was a 20-30 a day smoker for 14 years. I went cold turkey in the end, but i know i only quit because i truly wanted to. I was always 'scared' of failure and didn't believe i could do it. I did read Alan Carr's book because everyone swore by it. Whether that helped or not is debatable, but i guess it put me in the right frame of mind to do it. One thing that helped me with the cravings was apples, i ate lots of apples! The tartness relieved the craving for me. 15 years on, i still get the odd craving but i would never touch another cigarette! I'd be scared to now incase i got hooked again. I sometimes dream that i've had a cigarette and i wake up feeling really disappointed in myself it felt that real.

Associate
I had the worst addiction as far as Nicotine goes. Nothing helped and the struggle I was going through was intolerable.

Patches, vapes all that is garbage.

But a friend recommended to me : Tabex. One pack of that and you are off, only willpower not to bounce back afterwards.

Soldato
I've "quit" cold turkey about 3 times for between a year and 2 years , always end up falling back into it at some point.

Initially, It kinda sucks for about 3 weeks or so, then rapidly starts to become the new normal.

After a while I always start believe I'm special and can have the odd one here and there. To start with, it works great! I get to enjoy having a smoke with seemingly no consequence, this further reinforces my belief in how awesome I am at handling it.

The proper turning point, or the point of no return is when I buy the first pack for myself... Within a week of that I'll be back smoking full time like the previous year or 2 never happened...

Maybe one day I'll learn from my mistakes, doubt it though, me dumb.

A colleague of mine was diagnosed with COPD a few weeks ago. He looks and sounds rough... I'm 30 now and don't want to be like him when I'm in my 50s. Its not the time for me today, but I cant let myself suffer his fate, so I'm going to have to make sure the "right time" to quit comes soon.

Associate
I gave up nearly 10 years ago... best thing I ever did for myself. I couldn't do it cold turkey. The third try at stopping I used Champix and it worked a treat!

I still sometimes fancy a smoke. Seeing people light up, getting a whiff of a freshly lit cig. *rolls eyes* I have no intention of going back to that disgusting habit. I can go out abroad in pubs where people are allowed to smoke inside but the next day my chest is killing me. That seems to put things into perspective!

It is will power at the end of the day. You can stop but you really need to want to stop 100%. Good luck to all those trying. :)

Associate
i started when i was about 15 i guess. smoked non stop until about 33 ish. I was getting married and we were going to Hawaii for our honeymoon. Travel time is appox 22 hours. would have been hell no smoking for all that time while travelling. In the end i quit using the lozenge things. They are ok, you dont get the relief from it, like you would a cig, but it does take the edge off about half an hour after it, you just notice the craving isnt there any more. First i managed to cut out all of the "unnecessary" ones, so i was just left with before work, lunchtime, after work, after dinner and before bed. Then, i'd have a lozenge about half an hour or so before those times. this made it easier to skip it, because at that time, eg lunchtime, i was "ok" because i the lozenge has taken the edge off. Just remember that if you can do a day, you can do everyday, because it gets easier over time, it doesnt build up.

I still think about it sometimes. I find being a dad really hard, so when i'm fed up i do think about it. i dont want to go through the whole giving up thing again though.

I found having to have cigs and a lighter, and making sure i never ran out of either, carrying them about with keys, and phone and wallet etc all a bit a faff. particulary in the summer when you dont have coat pockets etc. so i was put off with vaping. and there seems like even more stuff to faff with, chargers, liquid etc, so i never bothered

Soldato
Completely agree, but I thought one of the ideas behind vaping is to gradually buy refills that have weaker amounts of nicotine, until you have weened yourself off vaping too

Correct, I've been vaping for a couple of years now following a decade of 20+ a day. I am immeasurably healthier of which my doctors also noted. Blood pressure is great, lungs are in a MUCH better state, no longer coughing my guts up all the time, I can taste food, I have a healthy appetite, I've put a healthy amount of weight back on. Hell, even my friends and family noticed my skin was much healthier looking after just a few weeks of going to vaping. It's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than smoking normally.

THAT SAID, people forget the different types of habits/addictions when it comes to smoking. I was nicotine dependent at first, now I'm down to 3mg/6mg. Essentially, nothing compared to a normal cig. Sometimes I even go 0mg just to get the max flavour. But for me, it's the habit, going out for a few minutes at a time, having something to draw smoke from... It's a horrible habit.

I did cold turkey before and I failed and went back to cigs (prior to vaping). For me, I'm trying to break my habits and vaping allows me extra time to do this due to the increased health benefits over smoking. Some days I won't take my vape with me and leave it at home. Others, I'll leave it in the car so I don't smoke in the evening.

I think if I'm honest with my self, I could probably throw it away and not really miss it after a couple of weeks.

My point I'm trying to make is, people often see smoking in ANY form as bad. And people should 'just stop', which encapsulates all methods of nicotine consumption wether it be smoking cigs, vaping, gum, patches etc. When in reality, each person is different in their addiction. Others are easily addicted, others aren't, some have triggers resulting in the need, others just get bored. It's a very dynamic situation and I just wish people would understand that.

A quick edit: If anyone reading this is smoking a lot, always run down and just feel horrible, wheezing when walking down a street. Tried multiple options? I'd strongly suggest you to look into vaping, it isn't a 'cure' or perfectly healthy. It's not. But from first hand experience, it is night and day in terms of health and quality of life. Just stick with it for 1 month, research a good vape. Try it, then look into ways of quitting. But just stop smoking cigarettes. Or don't, your choice.

I'm just happy to hug my nephews without them smelling the horrible smoke smell, and instead ask why I smell like banana toffee lol

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I simply resigned myself to the fact that I'm a smoker for life now. If it ain't that it's drugs so this is the better outcome. I do go through phases where I just vape low nic and cut a cigar every now and again in the evening, but I'm currently in my fag phase (hahahaa) and my vape is in a bag next to bags with all my other vapes in :D

Soldato
I had the worst addiction as far as Nicotine goes. Nothing helped and the struggle I was going through was intolerable.

But a friend recommended to me : Tabex. One pack of that and you are off, only willpower not to bounce back afterwards.

Patches might seem like garbage to you but they worked for me and several others in this thread, so they do work.

Soldato
OP

Totally disagree.

Vaping worked for me and I haven't smoked in 5-6 years now.

Currently on nic gum to break the vaping habbit and I've only have 1 piece of gum today, around 1030am.

Associate
Totally disagree.

Vaping worked for me and I haven't smoked in 5-6 years now.

Currently on nic gum to break the vaping habbit and I've only have 1 piece of gum today, around 1030am.

Seems like you are just replacing one nicotine injection with another. What's next, patches to get off the nic gum ?

But hey, whatever works for you. Anything is better than cigarette smoke.

Associate
I think it’s fair to say that giving up Nicotine is in some cases as had as giving up Heroin etc.

Those who say “ oh go cold turkey “ are missing the point. The biggest reason people fail is the craving, habit is stronger than the desire to stop. Simply if you don’t want to stop, no matter what you might tell, convince yourself. Unless you have a deep down will to change you will constantly fail or relapse.

I applaud those who have gone cold turkey and remained Nicotine free. However for many it’s a struggle and for various reasons they fail or just give up.

If it was that easy Nicotine wouldn’t be as addictive as it is. However it is possible but the only person who can do it is you. The desire to stop has to be absolute.

Soldato
OP
Seems like you are just replacing one nicotine injection with another. What's next, patches to get off the nic gum ?

But hey, whatever works for you. Anything is better than cigarette smoke.

I think you're missing the point with your sarcasm...

Vaping is a substitute to smoking, both of which require you to inhale chemicals for your fix at the cost of damage your lungs.
The gum is just the nicotine hit without the need to inhale any form of smoke/vape, which I'm finding it easier to manage over vaping.
Then you have the habit side of things, the desire to pop out during work for a vape can be replaced by a short walk and nic gum...you're being unnecessarily judgemental.

Caporegime
I think you're missing the point with your sarcasm...

Vaping is a substitute to smoking, both of which require you to inhale chemicals for your fix at the cost of damage your lungs.
The gum is just the nicotine hit without the need to inhale any form of smoke/vape, which I'm finding it easier to manage over vaping.
Then you have the habit side of things, the desire to pop out during work for a vape can be replaced by a short walk and nic gum...you're being unnecessarily judgemental.

He maybe is, but he is also correct. It's one addiction being replaced by another.

I've recently quit again, after getting fed up with the nonsense that vaping is. I can't face smoking again, it's horrible and it smells.

But it isn't easy, I've probably been stopped for about 8 months and I still think about smoking. I still crave it now and then. I even had a dream I was smoking recently. But it does get easier. I do still think vaping helped though, as coming to the end I was on very little nicotine. But it's horrible, I can't believe I wasted so many years/money and my future health on smoking.

Back
Top Bottom