Whats this warning light?

Soldato
OP
Shall have to go for a ride somewhere this weekend.

Didn't expect this from a petrol tbh. Her short commute was why we didn't get a diesel despite all the salesmen trying to flog her one.

Soldato
Shall have to go for a ride somewhere this weekend.

Didn't expect this from a petrol tbh. Her short commute was why we didn't get a diesel despite all the salesmen trying to flog her one.

Diesel doing those short runs wouldn't have just given you DPF problems, your fuel bill would have been insane. A cold diesel is very fuel inefficient.

Soldato
Diesel doing those short runs wouldn't have just given you DPF problems, your fuel bill would have been insane. A cold diesel is very fuel inefficient.

Unlikely to be insane at 2 miles per day, the difference between 20 and 30MPG is £100. I get around 20MPG out of mine for the first few miles when it's cold.

Soldato
Unlikely to be insane at 2 miles per day, the difference between 20 and 30MPG is £100. I get around 20MPG out of mine for the first few miles when it's cold.

My inlaws have a diesel and spent several months doing quick 1-2 mile hops a couple of times day to look after a sick relative. Their fuel bill went up by a couple of hundred a month compared to their usual fuel bills. Given the OPs wife is doing less than two miles each way for work, diesel would be an awfully expensive alternative.

Man of Honour

Gonna be interesting to see if my MPG changes much over the coming winter if we have proper cold - so far I've not seen much MPG impact when the engine is cold - sometimes it will be a little bit down for the first ~1.5 miles but that is it and rarely costs more than ~1MPG over the whole trip.

Soldato
Owners manual Page 3-103

This warning light illuminates:
• When there is a malfunction with the Petrol Particulate Filter (GPF) system.
When this warning light illuminates, it may turn off after driving the vehicle:
- at more than 80 km/h (50 mph) for about 30 minutes (above 3rd gear with 1500 ~ 4000 engine rpm)
If this warning light blinks in spite of the procedure (at this time LCD warning message will be displayed),
we recommend that you have the GPF system checked by a HYUNDAI authorised repairer.

Soldato
If she's doing less than 2 miles per day it's time to leave the car at home & walk IMO. I do it when it's not chucking it down, 1.6 Miles, seems ridiculous to drive it.

Man of Honour
My inlaws have a diesel and spent several months doing quick 1-2 mile hops a couple of times day to look after a sick relative. Their fuel bill went up by a couple of hundred a month compared to their usual fuel bills. Given the OPs wife is doing less than two miles each way for work, diesel would be an awfully expensive alternative.

What other driving were they doing? ~120 miles a month isn't going to be £100s even at 10MPG that would be around £70 and I highly doubt they are getting as low as 20 let alone 10 even with trips that short unless they are driving something crazy or the car is broke.

Previous owner of my truck - 2 ton pickup with a 3L V6 diesel going by the data in the trip history computer for the last bit of ownership was using it to do the school run twice a day ~2 miles each way and still managing around 25MPG average - from the average 15.5MPH or whatever it was probably busy traffic - end result it ****** up the EGR valve but I managed to get that changed under dealer warranty.

This really. Why would you choose to drive a 30 minute walk?

A lot will depend on context.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's that even a real question? What the hell kind of lifestyle are you living if you have that kind of time to waste..

Well, for a lot of people a thirty minute walk twice a day would have many positive physical and mental health benefits. If you had a dog to walk, you'd do that every day. That's before you get to the cost of running a car and constantly doing such short journeys. Of course we don't know if the OP's wife has reasons (or even is physically unable) to walk a couple of miles twice a day, or if she's just very "time poor".

Soldato
Also that's the kind of distance an electric assist bike would help cover cheaply, with some health benefits and still pretty quick.

Caporegime

Was this conducted in an Abrams tank?

3 return trips a day (worst case 2 miles each way), 30 days a month, 360miles, to get an extra £200 of expense a month the "vehicle" is using unrealistic amounts of diesel per mile.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I can't work that one out. 4 miles a day is 120 miles a month, I don't see how even the crappiest diesel in the world could manage to make that cost a couple of hundred quid a month. That would be less than 4mpg.

Soldato
It's that even a real question? What the hell kind of lifestyle are you living if you have that kind of time to waste..

A healthy one? Regardless I cycle which takes 7 minutes and walking is still quicker than driving my particular commute.

Point still stands, far too many drive places that are easily walkable. My old neighbour used to drive 500m and back to work every day.

Soldato
OP
Well went for a long drive today and it went off so all is good.

I'm not getting in to why she doesn't want to spend an hour of her day walking to and from work.

Back
Top Bottom