Tesla Cybertruck

Soldato
It's an interesting design that's for sure. I'll be honest it really appeals to my inner 5 year old, especially with their ATV on the back. The specs look great, especially the suspension system. The battery in this thing must be huge, those tires are not exactly low rolling resistance with their huge tread blocks. I'm thinking the triple motor version needs 200kwh to get 500 miles range, at least.

Few things about the practicalities, I like it has a built in cover for the bed but it also means you can't load anything in the bed from the sides. No mirrors, at all and there doesn't appear to be any side screens (like the e-tron). Crash/pedestrian regulation could be an issue in the EU, if it even comes here.

If I had the cash would I buy one - yes, but I don't have the cash.

Soldato
The stock didn’t drop because the window broke.

Wall Street tends to be pretty cautious, ‘radical’ unexpected things happening tends to put them off regardless if it’s a good idea or not.

Cant help but think it would look ‘dope’ with the MKBHD treatment (matt black wrap). I can see that being very popular.

Soldato
Trying to get back to Mars
Self driving cars
"futuristic" designs

Musk has gone total recall

johnnycab.jpg

Soldato
If they only convert 10% of those, and only sell the bottom of the line boggo spec one, its $500 million dollars. And lets be honest, it would take some sort of disaster for 1)Them to only convert 10% and 2)For everyone to buy the bottom spec one. Love it or hate it, this thing will sell. And I suspect it will be incredibly easy to build in an entirely automated fashion, so expect the margins to be healthy.

Edit: Breakdown of orders:

But on Saturday Mr Musk tweeted: "146k Cybertruck orders so far, with 42% choosing dual, 41% tri & 17% single motor".

Caporegime
Yeah. The “fastback” design could make it extremely impractical for anyone using it as a pickup - we’ve had a cap like that before. It also means you may have to have custom anything to fit in the back.

Also wheels. Great for (some) off road, but impractical in town. One of the reasons we didn’t buy a Raptor and probably never will. It makes the vehicle stupidly wide.

Wrapping it will make a lot of difference to the look, and I’m guessing most people will have it wrapped tbh.

Still tempted by the dual motor version, but not the exact way it’s setup now. That black one looks so much better, but so far the renders have looked a lot better than the actual one on stage!

Caporegime
Are Tesla still having production problems for the model 3 and losing money?

I know it's cool and everything but surely focusing on reliable production on existing models rather than just spewing out a wacky design to raise some quick cash would be a better plan in the long term?

Soldato
Are Tesla still having production problems for the model 3 and losing money?

I know it's cool and everything but surely focusing on reliable production on existing models rather than just spewing out a wacky design to raise some quick cash would be a better plan in the long term?

No.

Associate
I like the Tesla X model, recently witnessed one driven in anger and it flew - not sure how far the mileage is with these models.

When the first few emerge; it will be a head turner, but then, bare metal finish (nightmare). I think it will grow old quickly.

Until there is a true infrastructure for electric cars, I will pass! I might be missing something, only I just don't get what you are supposed to do when caught short, say stuck on the M25; sit in Starbucks for 6 hours if you get that far? The stress of watching a power gauge would do my head in.

Soldato
Use a Tesla 145kw supercharger and add 100 miles to the car in the time it takes to take a leak and get a coffee from said Starbucks. Or one of the other fast chargers within a few miles of the M25 (be it at a slower rate).

Soldato
I like the Tesla X model, recently witnessed one driven in anger and it flew - not sure how far the mileage is with these models.

When the first few emerge; it will be a head turner, but then, bare metal finish (nightmare). I think it will grow old quickly.

Until there is a true infrastructure for electric cars, I will pass! I might be missing something, only I just don't get what you are supposed to do when caught short, say stuck on the M25; sit in Starbucks for 6 hours if you get that far? The stress of watching a power gauge would do my head in.

It's funny how people think it takes 6 hours to charge an electric car.

You only need to charge it enough to get to your next destination which can be another charger or home. If its home then you just splash and dash to get you home and plug it in. If it's to another charger the car calculates how much charge you need to get there so it could be 10-15 mins.
A standard rapid charger charges mine at 200 miles an hour a Tesla super charger is around 600 miles an hour and the very latest can be upto 1000 miles an hour. The car only has a 200ish mile range.

Back
Top Bottom