Star Wars: Jedi - Fallen Order (Respawn Entertainment)

Soldato
I'm liking this so far, a lot. But the pathfinding in this game is absolutely awful. The map is worse than useless and trying to find your way to your next objective is a bit hit and miss.

Soldato
I also found that to start with. I just wandered around trying the yellow markers until i got on the correct path.

I don't normally do this with newly purchased games but I'm constantly switching between gameplay and YouTube videos for each level, just so I can see where the hell I'm meant to be going. The yellow markers are fine but there isn't any course plotting on screen to point you in the right direction. Hugely frustrating and a massive fault with this game IMHO.

Soldato
I'm liking this so far, a lot. But the pathfinding in this game is absolutely awful. The map is worse than useless and trying to find your way to your next objective is a bit hit and miss.

Poor map design is a common theme in modern games :(

All the talent for that seemed to move on years ago.

Associate
I don't normally do this with newly purchased games but I'm constantly switching between gameplay and YouTube videos for each level, just so I can see where the hell I'm meant to be going. The yellow markers are fine but there isn't any course plotting on screen to point you in the right direction. Hugely frustrating and a massive fault with this game IMHO.

I think the intention was that they wanted you to go exploring and discover places, and make your own route, as there are multiple ways to get to a location.

Another thing i didn't really like was the forced camera panning it does when it focuses your destination. Tomb Raider does it a bit better in the way the camera pans out slightly, and just feels more natural. I keep comparing it to the way Tomb Raider does things because i see so many similarities. The chase scenes in this weren't again as smooth as the new TRs which i think i've been spoilt on as it sets a high standard.

And those slides, there were a lot of them.

Last edited:
Associate
so is there a fix yet for the annoying stuttering? dont have time to scan through 23 pages of posts :( but its damn annoying. some times there is minimal stuttering others its constant. playing on a 2070super so shouldnt really have a problem with the game but its terrible

Soldato
so is there a fix yet for the annoying stuttering? dont have time to scan through 23 pages of posts :( but its damn annoying. some times there is minimal stuttering others its constant. playing on a 2070super so shouldnt really have a problem with the game but its terrible

Yeah I noticed the stutter too, its not enough to make you want to stop playing, but its pretty annoying using a 1080TI it should be good enough, I wondered if it was texture streaming load times, half tempted to move the game to my SSD.

Soldato
Yeah I noticed the stutter too, its not enough to make you want to stop playing, but its pretty annoying using a 1080TI it should be good enough, I wondered if it was texture streaming load times, half tempted to move the game to my SSD.

Won't make any difference, mine is on an SSD and I still get it.

Soldato
Won't make any difference, mine is on an SSD and I still get it.

Oh well thats answered that then. It is an annoying issue, but its not been bad enough to stop me playing, and the visuals are pretty amazing, and for most part the game plays smooth and is solid. I can't say I noticed much difference between high and epic settings at 1440p but then I'm getting older and my eyes aren't as good - thats my excuse ..

Soldato
I dunno, I thought the map in this game was extremely useful, almost too good in fact. Very obvious with marking where you can and cannot go.

I too was reading the comments about the map and lack of onscreen directions. I actually liked the lack of onscreen arrows etc, the min HUD I thought is brilliant, and gives just what you need, the holomap using a DS4 is easy to bring up, and us I felt. It tells you exactly where you can and cannot go, which areas are reachable and which isn't until you unlock new skills.

Guess not everyone liked it but I found it a good map system.

Soldato
I dunno, I thought the map in this game was extremely useful, almost too good in fact. Very obvious with marking where you can and cannot go.

I think my main issue with the pathfinding is that the map may be detailed but the lack of a waypoint on the HUD to let you know you are heading in the correct direction is what annoys me. Sure, you can see the objective on the map but it's not easy to then translate that into moving in the right direction if that makes sense? I'm not looking to be taken by the hand and completely guided along but a wee pointer on screen would be welcome.

Soldato
Really liking this game but the loot system is terrible. I don't think anyone cares about personalising your light sabre and the colours of your ship or the design of your poncho in a single player game.

Soldato

The occasional stutter that occurs for a few milliseconds during zone transitions can't be eliminated, but it can be mitigated. The same things also help for the constant stutter though that's also going to depend on other factors relating to your setup (eg I don't have constant stutter).

Easy to do: cap framerate to nearest (eg I can do mid-30s fps but I choose to cap 30 fps; this helps).
More intricate: use console unlocker and use the following commands, just copy-paste (r.Streaming.HLODStrategy 2 | r.Streaming.FullyLoadUsedTextures 1 | r.Streaming.PoolSize=0)
Guide to using console unlocker: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1915655496

I went and tested it in Kashyyyk just now. By not using framerate cap & commands (and with vsync off), I had a severe drop to mid 20s for less than half a second while transitioning in an area. Once I used commands + cap + vsync, the drop lasted even less and it was at lowest around 28 fps.

Besides the zone loading stutters the frametime graph is otherwise rock solid.

Well done and dusted and really enjoyed it, nice to have something that really feels like SW after the abortions of the new films. It was quite emotional at the end and i was quite invested in the characters outcomes.

Gripes? For a combat system that can rely on parrying it was a bit of a mess, maybe i was hoping for Sekiro levels of combat but unfortunately the parry system was so bad at times i had to rely on force powers and cheesing to beat the odd boss.

Level design is a bit ott with so many shortcuts that you cant use until you have a certain skill, but other than the last level needing certain powers you dont need to use these shortcuts and can do a level just fine, albeit with just 70% of the map explored. Not much incentive to go back unless you are a completionist or MUST have all the clothes/saber/ship designs.

Definite 7/10 for me, hope they make another!

Soldato
Really liking this game but the loot system is terrible. I don't think anyone cares about personalising your light sabre and the colours of your ship or the design of your poncho in a single player game.

EA initially planned to sell it as loot boxes I bet :D

I'm guessing it was Disney who stopped them after the whole BF2 disaster.

Soldato
Anyone had a black screen with small dots of light on it while landing on plants?

I had it on the last one, restart fixed it, but I'm now try ing to get to the
wookie homeworld
and it's doing it over and over again :(

Associate
Just finished it and really enjoyed the game, certainly picked up nearer the end and would abolutely do a sequel.

I think I agree with the Skill Up review, where the individual systems asometimes felt a bit average but it combines to far more than the sum of it's parts. The atmosphere is fantastic and it really brings out the star wars feel with some great set pieces.

It was also so refreshing not to have any lootboxes or needless monetisation ;)

Back
Top Bottom