*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Soldato
Hi all

New to this forum page. But just like to mention that via the online message service from sky I was able arrange the following Full Sky Q tv package including the sports and movie channels, for £60 a month. Its the black Friday deal they doing at the moment where all tv packages are 50% off. I was not sure if this deal was available to me already being a customers of sky, but they informed me that the deal could be applied to anyone's package if they enquire. I was already in a deal which had 3 months left where I was paying £78 a month so I very happy with the new black Friday deal. Couple of draw backs I had to sign up for a new 18 month contract and I had to pay £20 admin fee.

That's a rip off I'm afraid.

Associate
Negotiating is hardly abusing the system!

Fair enough.

Do you negotiate when you shop at ASDA, Tesco, Sainsburys? Do you negotiate when you order something online from Amazon or M&S? Do you negotiate when you fill up your car at BP? Do you negotiate with your taxi driver or when you're buying your train ticket? Do you negotiate with the person who delivers your food from Just Eat?

If you're not negotiating with them, is it because the aforementioned companies/outlets don't have a process in place for you to negotiate, because the products have a price tag or them, or because you don't want to negotiate with them for the particular products? They'll offer some discounts once in a while, but you'll not go out of your way to demand more, right? Have you phoned M&S to ask for an extra 20% off, just because? Have you told the clerk at the BP station that you want a discount after filling your car?

I know 'abuse' is a strong word, but the people who consider the Black Friday offer mentioned earlier a 'ripoff' or 'highway robbery' or other fancy words they can think of (comfortably ignoring the fact they are getting a lot for their money, they are not just throwing it down the drain or burning it), are the people who have spent hours on live chat, speaking to three different advisors. They are the people who have also phoned in 2-3 times, speaking to other advisors on top of the live chat advisors. They are people who have cancelled their account, knowing full well Sky have a process and a department in place which sometimes yields better discounts for cancelled accounts than the ones offered when an account is active. They are people who know how the system works, because they've done it before. They are people who will phone in to complain or dispute what they've agreed to 10 days earlier, hoping they'll get a little extra even if Sky can prove they were not misquoted. They are people who will phone in every month to see if Sky can knock an extra £1 off their bill. And I've seen all this from the inside.

If you don't like the word 'abuse', then I suppose you can say they know how to 'play' the system. They are savvy customers, but your average customer does not have the patience and cannot afford to waste their time doing the above until they are offered £48 instead of £60. The package that Sky are offering for £60 for Black Friday, costs £96 when at full price. Meaning that for Black Friday it's almost 40% off.

Tell me of any reputable company out there who will offer a flat 40% off for Black Friday to every customer who wants to take it and their website will not crash in a few minutes. Yet on OCUK, this is considered a 'ripoff'.

Soldato
But you failed to answer that the competition is offering a better deal.

Full TV pack. Sports/Movies/etc.
2x high end boxes
500Mbps Broadband
Fully unlimited 4G SIM card
Only 12 months contract
£79, plus £200 cash back.

Doesn'tthat make Sky a 'rip off' ? Let me guess you'd happily pay £1.49 per litre of petrol instead of £1.19 because it was sold by 'X' brand rather then 'Y' ;)

Soldato
Fair enough.

Do you negotiate when you shop at ASDA, Tesco, Sainsburys? Do you negotiate when you order something online from Amazon or M&S? Do you negotiate when you fill up your car at BP? Do you negotiate with your taxi driver or when you're buying your train ticket? Do you negotiate with the person who delivers your food from Just Eat?

If you're not negotiating with them, is it because the aforementioned companies/outlets don't have a process in place for you to negotiate, because the products have a price tag or them, or because you don't want to negotiate with them for the particular products? They'll offer some discounts once in a while, but you'll not go out of your way to demand more, right? Have you phoned M&S to ask for an extra 20% off, just because? Have you told the clerk at the BP station that you want a discount after filling your car?

I know 'abuse' is a strong word, but the people who consider the Black Friday offer mentioned earlier a 'ripoff' or 'highway robbery' or other fancy words they can think of (comfortably ignoring the fact they are getting a lot for their money, they are not just throwing it down the drain or burning it), are the people who have spent hours on live chat, speaking to three different advisors. They are the people who have also phoned in 2-3 times, speaking to other advisors on top of the live chat advisors. They are people who have cancelled their account, knowing full well Sky have a process and a department in place which sometimes yields better discounts for cancelled accounts than the ones offered when an account is active. They are people who know how the system works, because they've done it before. They are people who will phone in to complain or dispute what they've agreed to 10 days earlier, hoping they'll get a little extra even if Sky can prove they were not misquoted. They are people who will phone in every month to see if Sky can knock an extra £1 off their bill. And I've seen all this from the inside.

If you don't like the word 'abuse', then I suppose you can say they know how to 'play' the system. They are savvy customers, but your average customer does not have the patience and cannot afford to waste their time doing the above until they are offered £48 instead of £60. The package that Sky are offering for £60 for Black Friday, costs £96 when at full price. Meaning that for Black Friday it's almost 40% off.

Tell me of any reputable company out there who will offer a flat 40% off for Black Friday to every customer who wants to take it and their website will not crash in a few minutes. Yet on OCUK, this is considered a 'ripoff'.
The % discount is mostly irrelevant, what matters is the offered discount in the context of what I could get if I negotiated. For instance, negotiating at Asda is mostly pointless, as you won't get much off. But I know you can get 50%+ off sky so anything less than that is not a good deal.

Calling in Playing the system is probably a fair reflection.

Associate
But you failed to answer that the competition is offering a better deal.

Full TV pack. Sports/Movies/etc.
2x high end boxes
500Mbps Broadband
Fully unlimited 4G SIM card
Only 12 months contract
£79, plus £200 cash back.

Doesn'tthat make Sky a 'rip off' ? Let me guess you'd happily pay £1.49 per litre of petrol instead of £1.19 because it was sold by 'X' brand rather then 'Y' ;)

OK? Did you want me to make you feel better for taking that offer? This is the 'Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation' thread after all, not the 'Virgin Deal Congratulatory & Feel Good Thread'.

Well done I guess, with that saving Virgin are offering you, you'll be able to buy a car and fill it at gas stations with £1.19 per lt of petrol. Will you negotiate when filling it up or will you simply drive to another gas station?

I'll see you in a few months in the F&F thread. :p

Soldato
OK? Did you want me to make you feel better for taking that offer? This is the 'Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation' thread after all, not the 'Virgin Deal Congratulatory & Feel Good Thread'.

Well done I guess, with that saving Virgin are offering you, you'll be able to buy a car and fill it at gas stations with £1.19 per lt of petrol. Will you negotiate when filling it up or will you simply drive to another gas station?

I'll see you in a few months in the F&F thread. :p

You got shown that £60 for just the TV channels was a 'rip off' and couldn't actually come back with a sensible adult answer? People come in here looking for good value on their provision of 'Sky' TV, and given that the competition offer this as well you have to be a complete plonker not to even consider them.

Virgin aren't offering me anything it is their 'standard' Black Friday offer with no abuse of the system required. ;)

As for my fuel, I plug in my car to my house, and charge it, costs me ~5ppkWh and I made sure I shopped around all of the competition to get the best price for my electricity, alongside the energy generated by the solar panels.

F&F thread? Failed and Fed-up? Sounds about right for you. :p

Soldato
I find it somewhat amusing people find the need to defend sky and their 'sky' high prices.

It's a very good discount on the full price. Whether you're savvy enough or abuse the system enough to get something better, is a different discussion.

This thread is about negotiation, how is it abusing the system?

Associate
Just cancelled sky. I am currently paying just over £38pm just to watch F1. The best Retentions could do was £35pm. I used to watch more on sky but I hardly find anything to watch on there anymore. Netflix and Amazon are far more appealing.

Soldato
Just cancelled sky. I am currently paying just over £38pm just to watch F1. The best Retentions could do was £35pm. I used to watch more on sky but I hardly find anything to watch on there anymore. Netflix and Amazon are far more appealing.
The black Friday deals were pretty good imo

I'm now paying 57 quid but that's broadband, q box and hub, multiroom and a q mini, cinema pack, kids pack and ultimate on demand which includes Netflix premium as I have multiroom. I'd say that's pretty good Value considering Netflix premium is £11.99 on its own

Soldato
No HDR or dolby vision with sky Netflix though which is a deal breaker really.

They just sent me through another offer to return. This time £30 for entertainment, sports and cinema.

Associate
The black Friday deals were pretty good imo

I'm now paying 57 quid but that's broadband, q box and hub, multiroom and a q mini, cinema pack, kids pack and ultimate on demand which includes Netflix premium as I have multiroom. I'd say that's pretty good Value considering Netflix premium is £11.99 on its own

They did offer some good deals but nothing I was prepared to pay. I said to them I wanted to pay less but there wasn't much they could offer me and £35pm was the best deal they could offer me. All I want to watch really was F1 but I'm not prepared to pay £35pm for it. To me, it's just not worth it for 22 races a year. I've no need for the other channels and I don't watch much in the way of other sports.

Back
Top Bottom