The Tesla Thread

Associate
Well it could have been the best truck (pickup) design ever but they can't make em so why not leave a lasting impression and get more free marketing!

Anyway for stat nerds I've received and installed my Bjorn Nyland inspired purchase of an OBDII port plus Scan My Tesla app. The install is a bit unnerving as you have to isolate the car and then power down until you hear the thunk under the passenger seat to indicate the traction battery has disconnected. Then install the break-out cable in the back of the centre console between the front seats. Once done a BT dongle provides connectivity to the Scan My Tesla app.

I've posted an example image below of some of the more significant stats I've been monitoring. Mostly I'm interested in the relationship between battery conditions and charging/regen/power variations throughout the year.

Most significant thing I learnt from the Nyland vids was the battery temp is controlled very closely and swings from 25 C for driving and 50 C for the most rapid charging!
[/SPOILER]

very nice. half tempted myself to try. what spec have you got, just rear motor? what is the max heating power it puts out for the batteries when they are cold. SR+ myself

Soldato
very nice. half tempted myself to try. what spec have you got, just rear motor? what is the max heating power it puts out for the batteries when they are cold. SR+ myself

SR+ for as well for now. With no dedicated battery heater Tesla use the waste energy from the motors. From watching a couple of the Bjorn videos it appears the motors can energise up to 3.5kw to generate heat even while stationary. In the case of the AWD the front motor is not used constantly but again can still add heat to the loop.

In the pic below the M3P is supercharging at 71kw (-71.7 battery power) but both front and rear motors are being energised at 3.5kw (F/R Power).

C7dKp7b.jpg.png

Last edited:
Associate
yea, i have watched Bjorn's vids with the app - was wondering if the SR+ with the single motor is caped at 3.5KW or if they put more power through it than the dual to compensate.

anyway - have fun tracking the data, looks like it might be cold again next week. :p

Dan

Soldato
yea, i have watched Bjorn's vids with the app - was wondering if the SR+ with the single motor is caped at 3.5KW or if they put more power through it than the dual to compensate.

anyway - have fun tracking the data, looks like it might be cold again next week. :p

Dan

I did check this morning but the car had already charged for a while and the battery was at 15 C so it wasn't using the motor to add any more energy. I have verified that the regen is not limited when the battery gets to ~25 C which is the normal Delta T when driving. It won't be reaching that when the temps drop again on my normal commute!

daz

daz

Soldato
My 'hidden VIN' has appeared in my account so things are progressing. May well have my car this side of Christmas, or if not shouldn't be too long after.

Going to miss the sound of my V6 but then I have my other car for giggles.

Soldato
My 'hidden VIN' has appeared in my account so things are progressing. May well have my car this side of Christmas, or if not shouldn't be too long after.

Nice. I'm purely holding out for the BIK changes in April but otherwise dead-set on an order... it's difficult waiting though.

Really impressed by the battery drain (or lack thereof) in the above video.

Soldato

I got my VIN at the beginning of the week. When I called them they said I should be able to collect it during the last week of December, but I haven't received any confirmation of that yet.

Soldato
if, like this evening there is heavy rain, does the active cruise control in a tesla see the vehicles ahead just as well as the radar system in some cars ?
or it has radar as well ? ... the number of dirty rear lights / reg-plates doesn't help.

Soldato
Nice. I'm purely holding out for the BIK changes in April but otherwise dead-set on an order... it's difficult waiting though.

Really impressed by the battery drain (or lack thereof) in the above video.
I took delivery ASAP as lots of people may end up ordering in April and have a backlog.

It’s only a few months tax anyway

Soldato
I took delivery ASAP as lots of people may end up ordering in April and have a backlog.

It’s only a few months tax anyway

I'm going to order early December following a meeting with our accountant and then just not accept a delivery if it's too early. It's only a few months but do you pay the 16% BIK on the £6,000 deposit for example? If so, worth waiting.

Soldato
I'm going to order early December following a meeting with our accountant and then just not accept a delivery if it's too early. It's only a few months but do you pay the 16% BIK on the £6,000 deposit for example? If so, worth waiting.
i don’t think you pay BIK until you have the car in your possession.

For me it was around £800ish

Associate
It’s not so much the BIK amount you pay more the amount it eats into your tax allowance. It’s 16% of the P11d value and is indeed when you receive the car. I’ve ordered one (leasing) mid October and think I will get delivery end of Dec or first week of January

Soldato
if, like this evening there is heavy rain, does the active cruise control in a tesla see the vehicles ahead just as well as the radar system in some cars ?
or it has radar as well ? ... the number of dirty rear lights / reg-plates doesn't help.
Wut it just sees cars, nothing to do with anything that’s fitted to them. There is a radar on the front I think.

Soldato
yes web says it has a radar ... cameras would be inadequate, if I can't see it, because the back of most range rovers here are coated in mud, it can't either.
A few people seem to discuss it hesitating on the speed when either cars are turning across your path up front, or if a vehicle exits a motorway, and tacc sees it decelerate, not a bad preemptive thing.

Soldato
The car tells you if it can’t see, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to keep a camera cleaning cloth in the car somewhere.

The radar can get blocked by heavy snow, not really an issue here. The main cameras are covered by the wipers but the side and rear cams can get blocked if not cleaned. The rear being the main offender.

Soldato
Just be careful - I had a small update appear last night (bug fixes as the release notes were the same) - However it changed my "hold" to "creep" this morning when I checked.

Soldato
See you can now get up to 150kW on the SR+ with a V2 super charger, and 170kW on V3. Nice. :)
Didn't get anywhere near 100 yesterday at Warwick North and South... At 30% charged I was getting around 60KwH with all stalls to myself and the battery preconditioned. Disappointing.

Soldato
Didn't get anywhere near 100 yesterday at Warwick North and South... At 30% charged I was getting around 60KwH with all stalls to myself and the battery preconditioned. Disappointing.

New software update is still rolling out I believe you need version 2019.40.1.1 for it to be available to you.

Back
Top Bottom