Raid 5 write performance in proliant range

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Oof Veeam Reverse Incremental is *brutal* on the IO of whatever you're storing the backups on.

Associate
OP
by switching my reverse incrementals to forward incrementals, and having a separate full backup job directed to external media (batch scheduled via windows task scheduler every 28 days), i am savings loads of time / load on the backup server.
creation of the single point on the external media is <6hrs vs 20 hours (to process the reverse incremental and copy the file). Now i dont need to worry about raid/controller spec, the limiting factor is the sata disk which 'is what it is'.

but have now gone full circle and am testing a backup copy job with an x day interval (backup copy jobs seem to support an x day interval) . Its is perhaps a moot point that backup copy jobs insist on maintaining a minimum of 2 restore points (i only want 1 point ie a full backup)....moot because the backup copy job is pointed directly at a repository on an external path that is wiped - as removable drives are formatted before use, so i always get just a full backup.

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
Yep - looks fine (Controller is Mini SAS HD, SFF-8644 cable is Mini SAS HD according to wiki)

thank you,
Do you have any experience with making the most our REFS on Windows 2016/2019?
I am keen to minimise storage space without massively affecting backup times.
I am assuming that REFS is the goto tech / design for Veeam now?
but i read there are some challenges and the software is still 'maturing'

https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-replication-f2/refs-3-0-and-dedup-t56658.html

Associate
thank you,
Do you have any experience with making the most our REFS on Windows 2016/2019?
I am keen to minimise storage space without massively affecting backup times.
I am assuming that REFS is the goto tech / design for Veeam now?
but i read there are some challenges and the software is still 'maturing'

https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-replication-f2/refs-3-0-and-dedup-t56658.html

We're successfully using REFS on 2016 for our IaaS and VCC customers. We've not experienced any issues.

Associate
OP
I'm fresh off a Veeam course, ReFS is best for Veeam Repositories

so refs it is.

so for 30 point forever forward incremental daily backup chain of ~2Tb of 30 windows servers.
on a raid 10 array with bbwc windows 2019 16 core 16gb dedicate 100% veean backup server .
what would peoples thoughts on the following be.

1. refs disk cluster size? 64kb?
2. any refs settings beyond cluster size?
3. veeam compression level
4. veeam storage setting ? local disk largest blocks?
5. corruption guard
6. maintenance tasks. create full restore point regularly?
7. dedupe settings/considerations.

i am major noob in terms of understanding the significance/value of these.
my goal is to minimise disk capacity use without significantly hindering backup times, whilst ensuring the integrity of backup points.

thanks

Associate
so refs it is.

so for 30 point forever forward incremental daily backup chain of ~2Tb of 30 windows servers.
on a raid 10 array with bbwc windows 2019 16 core 16gb dedicate 100% veean backup server .
what would peoples thoughts on the following be.

1. refs disk cluster size? 64kb?
2. any refs settings beyond cluster size?
3. veeam compression level
4. veeam storage setting ? local disk largest blocks?
5. corruption guard
6. maintenance tasks. create full restore point regularly?
7. dedupe settings/considerations.

i am major noob in terms of understanding the significance/value of these.
my goal is to minimise disk capacity use without significantly hindering backup times, whilst ensuring the integrity of backup points.

thanks

1.) 64k
2.) Not that I'm aware of
3.) Optimal
4.) Local disk (not largest blocks) Largest blocks will affect dedupe ratio, only designed for really large backup files
5.) Yes
6.) Make sure it's synthetic full, as this will leverage fast clone feature of ReFS & also save space.

Soldato
Always make sure you have plenty RAM for ReFS. I think Veeam reccomend 1GB per TB of storage up to a certain point - that's over and above any other memory usage on the box

Associate
OP
Always make sure you have plenty RAM for ReFS. I think Veeam reccomend 1GB per TB of storage up to a certain point - that's over and above any other memory usage on the box

more luck than judgement i have enough. 1GB per TB would get quite pricey for larger backups...my disk will only be 8TB and actual backup chain size closer to 2TB. 16GB RAM should be enough for 2019+VEEAM+REFS.

Customs made me pay £15 for the privilege of importing a 2M SAS to ESATA cable from the states..hope it works

Associate
OP
Spoke too soon, REFS on RAID 10 is working well. Synthetic Full backups on forward incremental are using no extra space, and taking a 5 minutes to calculate (as opposed to reverse incremental taking closer to 10 hours) and Veeam is hitting 1GB/s . to the array.

Man of Honour
Didn't read the whole thread but my backup is far bigger each night and I use a HP StoreOnce 4500 (dedicated backup and de-dupe) which is a DL380 chassis with HP custom firmware. I can process some 20+ tb per night and still fit within a few hour window. The 4500 imo is a solid dedicated appliance :) From Veeam last night a full backup on a 2.2TB Exchange server took a total of 24 mins.

Soldato
Didn't read the whole thread but my backup is far bigger each night and I use a HP 4500 (dedicated backup and de-dupe) which is a DL380 chassis with HP custom firmware. I can process some 20+ tb per night and still fit within a few hour window. The 4500 imo is a solid dedicated appliance :) From Veeam last night a full backup on a 2.2TB Exchange server took a total of 24 mins.

StoreOnce 4500?

N.B I work on the StoreOnce R&D team.

Back
Top Bottom