Firestick Performance

Soldato
I currently have a 1st gen Amazon firebox connected to an old 37" LCD. I bought the fire box because I found the original fire stick very laggy and slow to load up.

I'm about to purchase a 55" OLED TV (LG C9), and I want to take advantage of the 4k capabilities by getting a better fire stick. Is the latest 4k firestick smooth in day to day operation, or do I need the Cube for that sort of performance?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I just bought a Firestick 4k. Tried the first one, and thought it was pants, so sent it back. Mainly because of it's inability to stream wirelessly.
I replaced my wifi access point at the start of this year with a pretty decent Unisys unit, and with that the 4k has had no issues.

Soldato
I can vouch for the 4k stick. We've got both the 4k and the gen1.

The gen1 is generally OK at playing stuff, but you notice a serious lag when going back to the menu, or scrolling through the menu.

The 4k stick is magnitudes more responsive.

Soldato
I have a gen1 and the one with voice.
Both seem slow to me, hope to replace the gen1 with an Nvidia shield the new round one.

Soldato
There is almost no DV content on Prime Video.

The built in apps on the C9 are very good, I wouldn’t get the Firestick unless you really need one.

I gather that however I have a latest gen 4k firestick plugged in to my XF90 and watching hdr content is dull on both the stick and built in Sony App, likewise I have an apple tv plugged in to my B7 oled the app on the apple tv Is dull playing on the B7 but the built in app is fantastic bright whites and deep blacks a stark difference to all the other devices.

It bugged me to the point that I double checked all the settings across all the devices and found it all working correctly.

I tested with Jack Ryan.

Last edited:
Associate
worth grabbing one while there on offer never owned one before really slick in operation , i tried the apple app bought the revenant in 4k for a measly £3 via my itunes account was really impressed with the picture.

Back
Top Bottom