BMW/Audi drivers surpassed?

Soldato
Hell no. But there has been a shift from BMW to Audi as the worst.
As complete pricks, yes, although that could just be Audis becoming more affordable. Both have always had their ***** percentage, but more of them are driving Audis at the moment.
These are closely followed by anyone (though usually SUV/Range Rover types) with stupidly bright headlights.
We have fairly good roads with several bus lanes, so they aren't a problem. More people have cars, so taxis also not that bad (and they can usually use the bus lanes).

But as the worst, I would go with Vauxhalls. For the past six years, every time something has happened or nearly happened to me, it's been a Vauxhall... and usually a Corsa.

Caporegime
I’d like to see the average car driver take a bus or a truck through a congested city centre and then tell the driver he’s terrible.

I often get comments along the lines of “ you’ll easily get that in here driver” they tend to shut up rather quickly when I hand them the keys and tell them to get on with it! :p

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I’d like to see the average car driver take a bus or a truck through a congested city centre and then tell the driver he’s terrible.

I often get comments along the lines of “ you’ll easily get that in here driver” they tend to shut up rather quickly when I hand them the keys and tell them to get on with it! :p
What do you say about lorry drivers who love to block merge in turns (dual carriageway to single type situations, everyone weirdly queuing in lane 1 leaving lane 2 clear) way up the lane as if they are a vigilante police. hate them :angry:

Associate
I have to concur with the compact SUV answers. They seem to have missed the part of the test on safe distances, the fact they have a tiny engine in that rather large car, and be distracted by the plethora of tech.

Witnessed an interesting one this morning, Hyundai KONA (I think) was inspecting my rear seats on 2 lane a slip road, as I passed a vehicle I dutifully pulled in to allow them to use all 300bhp (that I assume) the vehicle has to join the dual-carriageway. Similarly, in my tiny 1.8 Civic put my foot down to join at the same speed as traffic, yet they either were still interested in my back seats for some reason, though blocking the outside lane for.. Reasons.

Upon joining the rather congested carriageway, they proceeded to ignore cut across the inside lane only to land right in front of a Jag that took some offense to this maneuver. The Jag retaliated in kind with some tailgating and high-beam flashing action, which seemed to make the KONA driver irate, as they then turned on their fog-light.

I assumed this would go on until the traffic thinned and a proper race would ensue, however the Jag decided to take matters into their own hands with an undertake. KONA did not like this, and sped up, meaning the Jag only just got in front and the KONA looked to nearly lose traction and hit the centre res.

I later passed the KONA driver at the dizzying speed of 65mph due to congestion, expecting to see a male with high blood pressure, I was greeted with a rather attractive blond lady, with her child.

What a morning, really must get a dash cam.

Caporegime
What do you say about lorry drivers who love to block merge in turns (dual carriageway to single type situations, everyone weirdly queuing in lane 1 leaving lane 2 clear) way up the lane as if they are a vigilante police. hate them :angry:
I used to do this , rarely these days.

Unfortunately Joe public - car and truck drivers alike - has no concept of merge in turn to the point where we even have signs on the approach to roadworks saying use both lanes (M5 Oldbury for example)

Soldato
I don't think it's anyone marque in particular, just a general ineptness on the roads. I attended a speed awareness course a few weeks back and it was honestly scary how many people couldn't tell you the speed limit by looking at a photo of a road.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I used to do this , rarely these days.

Unfortunately Joe public - car and truck drivers alike - has no concept of merge in turn to the point where we even have signs on the approach to roadworks saying use both lanes (M5 Oldbury for example)
Why did you do this? It makes me want to get out of the car and batter the lorry driver with my keyboard

Soldato
I feel like the worst driven cars around here are your Fords and Vauxhalls, regularly driven with way too much speed and aggression.

Soldato
I don't think it's anyone marque in particular, just a general ineptness on the roads. I attended a speed awareness course a few weeks back and it was honestly scary how many people couldn't tell you the speed limit by looking at a photo of a road.

There's got to be some irony in there? :p

Caporegime
Why did you do this? It makes me want to get out of the car and batter the lorry driver with my keyboard
Usually in a scenario where the road ahead is blocked be it by an accident, vehicle unloading or suchlike, I don’t do it just because a dual is going down to single for example.

As for jumping out and taking on the driver, be sure to let us know how well it ends..... :D

Soldato
Citroen Picasso drivers, usually men who have a family but have been brow beaten into the awful compromise that is the picasso. Usually driven hard and rarely an indicator used to prove their masculinity.

Associate
Oversized SUV's being driven by middle aged women wearing sunglasses in all weathers scare me, as they usually seem completely unaware of the size of their vehicles, and will happily overtake parked cars while heading straight at oncoming traffic.

Soldato
(i never got this upright thing, coming from saloons and hatches i don't get how you can't just raise your seat :confused:). As someone who splits his time between an actual full size pickup and a car with my arse on the ground i find it makes pretty much bugger all difference. The only time I have a problem seeing in the Porsche is when i'm at a junction next to someone in...you guessed it...a crossover or compact suv!

There's a difference in confidence with a higher vehicle that can't be matched with simply raising your seat in a lower one - whether that it is perceived or real confidence, there's certainly a difference. Are you shorter than average? I can only see this working if you're a short person, as I need my seat on the lowest setting the car will allow.

But don't forget we're in the OCUK Motors forum echo-chamber so be sure to make negative comments against SUV's, diesels, TT arches, PCP finance, and black alloys at least once per week.

Associate
Oversized SUV's being driven by middle aged women wearing sunglasses in all weathers scare me, as they usually seem completely unaware of the size of their vehicles, and will happily overtake parked cars while heading straight at oncoming traffic.

Happens all too frequently especially when its time to pick the little darlings up from school in their Diesel guzzling 7 seater SUV half a mile from their house because they wouldn't want the little ones getting a blister on their foot or something...

Shawrey

Caporegime
There's a difference in confidence with a higher vehicle that can't be matched with simply raising your seat in a lower one - whether that it is perceived or real confidence, there's certainly a difference. Are you shorter than average? I can only see this working if you're a short person, as I need my seat on the lowest setting the car will allow.

6ft. And you're right - the confidence that comes isn't simply from raising the seat - I was being somewhat flippant with that. It SHOULD come from raising the seat and thus allowing a more comfortable driving position but the fact is it's a psychological boost from being raised above the people surrounding you.

Actual source which supports the thing I spout on here btw - https://www.bmj.com/rapid-response/2011/10/31/psychology-suv-use

"SUV ownership represents the conspicuous display of wealth and a deliberate attempt to look down on, both physically and metaphorically, poorer less important people such as public transport users and pedestrians."

Essentially, for most people, they're nothing more than safety blankets or strap-on penises. They harp on about ground clearance or 4wd or space for the kids. They'll never go off-road and things like MPVs offer much better space and practicality for families.

Back
Top Bottom