House 6m above sea level. Yay or nay?

Caporegime
OP
So,
Just been in touch with natural resources Wales.

Its actually flood zone 3 - definitely sea risk not rivers
No historic flooding
Benefits from sea defenses

Caporegime
OP
I don't think you have any reason to be worried, but it is your money/your peace of mind.

I can't decide if our worries are completely over the top.

I mean apparently worst case is 2m by 2100, but a few years ago that was 1m. Could it be 4m in 5years?
If this does happen will it lose too much value and end up being a terrible move

Would 2m basically raise the water level not to the door but the water table would be so high it would destroy the house?
Is the semi clay soil type a problem ?

Never had such a tough financial decision. I'm close to bailing, as might just end up seeing it as another rental.

Soldato
I can't decide if our worries are completely over the top.

I mean apparently worst case is 2m by 2100, but a few years ago that was 1m. Could it be 4m in 5years?
If this does happen will it lose too much value and end up being a terrible move

Would 2m basically raise the water level not to the door but the water table would be so high it would destroy the house?
Is the semi clay soil type a problem ?

Never had such a tough financial decision. I'm close to bailing, as might just end up seeing it as another rental.

With a £30k caravan, I'd risk it, with an expensive purchase like a house, I wouldn't.

If you have any doubt walk away, otherwise you're going to spend the next 20+ years worrying about something that may or may not happen.

Not to mention, if you're having these concerns now, do you think future potential buyers won't?

Caporegime
Put it this way, if you're unsure about it you can guarantee there will be a lot of people who immediately see it as a deal breaker and walk away when you come to sell.

This, if you have concerns then so does everyone else. in the future risk of flooding will be higher and it will be a more regular feature in the news. So expect bigger issues selling in the future. you could have course put in a low ball offer to reduce future risks.

Caporegime
OP
We genuinely still cannot decide. Going to give it some thoughts over the weekend

Is so annoying. Its next to a park, in a quiet street but still close enough to Cardiff.

Having a hard time on this one.

Soldato
We genuinely still cannot decide. Going to give it some thoughts over the weekend

Is so annoying. Its next to a park, in a quiet street but still close enough to Cardiff.

Having a hard time on this one.

"Tropical storm Sebastian is due to hit the UK with 22ft waves"

22ft is 6.7m, it's not just the sea levels you need to consider, it's storms + rain saturating the land. Might be worth taking a drive down there when the storm hits and see if you think it looks ok.

Soldato
"Tropical storm Sebastian is due to hit the UK with 22ft waves"

22ft is 6.7m, it's not just the sea levels you need to consider, it's storms + rain saturating the land. Might be worth taking a drive down there when the storm hits and see if you think it looks ok.

Good shout, the storm should be hitting the UK on Tuesday, not long to wait. Regardless of storm surge, will it be bleak and utterly miserable if you wanted to pop out to the shops?

Back
Top Bottom