Spec me a Printer that doesn't exist

Soldato
Gentlemen I'm at my wit's end, I'm struggling, and I need the fine and industrious members of OCUK to offer me some guidance. You see, I've reached a point where I believe I'm looking for a printer that doesn't exist, and I'd like to be proven wrong.

Entirely unreasonable requirements as follows:
  • Ideal budget £80, max £140
  • Ethernet, or at least wireless that actually functions, preferably more than once.
  • Colour, Scanner.
  • Small footprint (tallboy is fine)
  • Not black. (At least as the primary colour)
  • Buying ink doesn't require the selling of organs
  • Actually prints on envelopes
  • Measurements in layout share some tenuous link with what actually comes out.
That's literally it; a compact, reasonable to run printer that can actually be accessed over the network by three or more PCs. If it could also not be a steaming pile of hot ****, that would be great.

Are we all stuck in the same boat with dirt cheap printers that ship with a teaspoon of ink, and cartridges so expensive you find yourself regulatly waking up in a bathtub full of ice water and iodine.

Or is there an absolute ****ing legend, somewhere out there, who can suggest a printer than fits the above criteria?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Good luck with that - all the ones I've found meet the other criteria are ridiculously expensive on consumables.

(Funny one with the last printer I bought - the included "introductory" cartridge that was good for something like "500" pages outlasted the official replacements that are rated for 1000+ pages).

Soldato
Have a look at a Canon Pixma TS5351. I’ve found Canon to make the most trouble free inkjets and they tolerate very infrequent use far better than Epson (which are useless if you don’t use them at least weekly) or HP.

No Ethernet on the Canon, but I’ve found the wireless very reliable on them - but I always give them a static IP, don’t leave them on DHCP.

Back
Top Bottom