When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Interesting thing mentioned this morning, there are now more Ev charging points than there are petrol stations
Sure I know a lot will be private, they can only charge 1/2 cars at a time, and charging a car takes a lot longer than filling with ICE fuel (unless the store is packed with people who fill up then go shopping for 15 mins!)

Just thought it was interesting :)

A few things (people get confused with EV's)

Most people will charge at home most of the time so never need to visit an EV station.
EV charge times are dramatically reduced as its rare you need to charge to full as it's not petrol. You need enough to get you home where you go and plug in. This is how it works.

Soldato
Interesting thing mentioned this morning, there are now more Ev charging points than there are petrol stations
Sure I know a lot will be private, they can only charge 1/2 cars at a time, and charging a car takes a lot longer than filling with ICE fuel (unless the store is packed with people who fill up then go shopping for 15 mins!)

Just thought it was interesting :)

Truth is when you wake up you have a full tank. Now that is interesting!

Soldato
Six 50kW chargers installed in the north of the city but seems quite expensive at £1 + 30p/kWh.

Par for the course now, I think.

Rapid chargers aren't cheap, and the charge point providers aren't exactly raking it in even with these "high" charges. With the range of these vehicles improving, the average EV is likely to rapid charge less going forward, so they're basically relying on the rising number of electric cars to make up for that. A quick Google suggests a rapid charger install costs a minimum of about £20k. If the charger is used on average 3 times per day, delivering an average 17.5kWh per charge (80% of a 22kWh car's capacity, as these are still the most prolific cars on the road) then the payback time is roughly 4.25 years without accounting for overheads.

Pretty much just got to accept that if you want the infrastructure then it needs to be properly funded. I'd expect prices to settle in the region of 40p per kWh TBH (ala Shell Recharge, Instavolt, Engenie).

Soldato
Also on a £2.1m car you are not typically worried about the batteries lasting 10+ years and 120k+ miles. It’s fair to say the purchaser can afford to buy some replacements when the high charge rate degrades them quickly.

Soldato
People paying that much for a car expect it to appreciate though. Few are made and they are bought as investments to sell on later. Buying an EV for that much right now is risky, it could lose all it's value.

Last edited:
Soldato
The range is an issue, but the real killer is what if you aren't near a charging station or the charging station is busy? That's very inconvenient compared to quickly finding a petrol station.

How many petrol stations in the UK? There would need to be hundreds of thousands of new charging points.

I wouldn't change unless I was forced to by law.

Soldato

That will never happen, they will just price you out of the market with fuel costs, restrictions on where you can drive and park etc. They#ll make it inconvenient and expensive, a bit like they did with smoking, but if you are willing to pay and be socially excluded then you are welcome to keep the ICE age car. ;)

Soldato
The range is an issue, but the real killer is what if you aren't near a charging station or the charging station is busy? That's very inconvenient compared to quickly finding a petrol station.

This is my one concern when I needed to use a public charger, I love the Zoe, but on long journeys there's always a cross your fingers moment when pulling up to the chargers that at least one of them is a) free, and b) actually working. It would be nice if there was some kind of real-time ability to track them (zap map is really handy, but not quite there yet as it relies on other people reporting status) or even potentially reserve time slots. Not been caught out yet, but I expect its just a matter of time :/

Caporegime

How many petrol stations in the UK? There would need to be hundreds of thousands of new charging points.

Well it's a good thing BP just bought over a charging company then isn't it?

where there is a petrol station currently there will soon be charging points also. so they will simply add charging points and slowly remove the fossil fuel pumps

Also the way I see it in places abroad who are far ahead of us on this. When you go to the shops there are 2 charging points for every say 30-50 normal spaces. They also in Vancouver let you charge for the first hour for completely free. So you can charge for 59 minutes disconnect then put it in again and then you get 2 hours free. The number of charging points will only increase too.

Soldato
Top gear item on model3 last night which raised interesting point about Model3 acceleration at higher speeds; over half mile trial M3 and their 'AMG' were spitting distance- was curious about 50-70 overtaking ... the important bit -
and according to below 2.8s versus 4.1 in either a 250bhp audi/bmw automatic, or 8s in a similarly powered manual vw GTI ... manual time was a surprise
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/acceleration-stats-performance-at-60mph.132373/
can't see what the multi-speed taycan will do.

Soldato
A colleage got stranded while loaning out an EV for the week. Arrived at location with barely any charge left, all charging points were broken lol (one looks like it had been smashed up). They ended up having to book in to a hotel and wait until morning for a flatbed.

Soldato
Top gear item on model3 last night which raised interesting point about Model3 acceleration at higher speeds; over half mile trial M3 and their 'AMG' were spitting distance- was curious about 50-70 overtaking ... the important bit -
and according to below 2.8s versus 4.1 in either a 250bhp audi/bmw automatic, or 8s in a similarly powered manual vw GTI ... manual time was a surprise
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/acceleration-stats-performance-at-60mph.132373/
can't see what the multi-speed taycan will do.

That's how it feels to me in an SR+ 0-60 is good but when you want to go for that gap from to slow to faster traffic for example it can feel much quicker.

I think the Taycan only uses the 2nd gear at high speed and not like a kick down gear but could be wrong.

Soldato
A colleage got stranded while loaning out an EV for the week. Arrived at location with barely any charge left, all charging points were broken lol (one looks like it had been smashed up). They ended up having to book in to a hotel and wait until morning for a flatbed.
That can happen with any car with bad luck. I had the same happen with a patrol car only with a petrol car its x10 worse as you cannot just find somewhere local to plug it in. For local use only you are far more likely to have patrol problems then lack of charging point problems.

Soldato
That can happen with any car with bad luck. I had the same happen with a patrol car only with a petrol car its x10 worse as you cannot just find somewhere local to plug it in. For local use only you are far more likely to have patrol problems then lack of charging point problems.

But you can just walk probably less than a mile to the nearest petrol station and fill up a can :D

Soldato
But you can just walk probably less than a mile to the nearest petrol station and fill up a can :D
Which can be massively more hassle then finding a nearby electric plug and often much further away then a mile. In most places more so when we are talking for local driveing you will be closer to an electric plug then patrol. There are massively more places where patrol is further away then the nearest electric socket. Plus we have had far more days with empty patrol stations then we have with zero electricity access.

If you are only using the electric car for local driving you are more likely to run into patrol problems then lack of electric problems. Which is another major benefit for electric cars along with the massive amount of time saved as you waste tons of time filling up patrol cars while electric cars save a massive amount of time when used for local trips only.

Back
Top Bottom