Closed back equivalent of the Phillips Fildeio X2?

Associate
Hi all, have and love the X2 but I'm after a pair of headphones for when I don't want to annoy those around me and that are relatively easy to drive. Any recommendations? Something ideally below £150

Edit: I'm looking at the ATH-M50X, DT770 and HD598

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all, have and love the X2 but I'm after a pair of headphones for when I don't want to annoy those around me and that are relatively easy to drive. Any recommendations? Something ideally below £150

DT770 are great and more importantly have an exceptional sound stage for closed back headphones.

Do you recommend the Fidelio X2? One version of it is £99 today.

Associate
OP

Thanks for the suggestion, think that's the one I'm getting now
DT770 are great and more importantly have an exceptional sound stage for closed back headphones.

Do you recommend the Fidelio X2? One version of it is £99 today.

Yes, that's the one I've got, but I paid slightly more for mine (you mean the black friday deal right?). Best pair of headphones I've ever owned, I use it with this: https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/boompro-microphone

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestion, think that's the one I'm getting now

Yes, that's the one I've got, but I paid slightly more for mine (you mean the black friday deal right?). Best pair of headphones I've ever owned, I use it with this: https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/boompro-microphone

Bear in mind that AKG use mini XLR with the K371. To use the V-Moda microphone with them, you'll need to use a mini XLR to 3.5mm adaptor. Can be done, as people do that with K702 etc; but an adaptor will add bulk and distance the microphone from the headphones somewhat.

From a V-Moda use point of view; still better than the DT770 though, as they have fixed dual entry cable. You'd need to use a different microphone with those headphones; maybe something like an Antlion Modmic.

M50X and HD598 take a 3.5mm jack cable, but both use a locking system. The V-Moda microphone may or may not fit. Depends if the jack housing is slim enough to fit in past the locking mechanism both manufacturers use. I imagine someone will be able to confirm that either way somewhere on the net.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
According to the hype and some reviews the K371 are being considered one of the best closed back cans under £150, many are suggesting its better then the DT770s, AKG K550 and other similar offers.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/akg-k371.916764/page-5

But just like anything sound is so subjective, you would maybe need to have 3-4 of them to really compare for a few weeks even.

Certainly peaked my interest since I still love my AKG K550s closed backs, good isolation and nice overall sound with anything you throw at it but it would appear AKGs 371s maybe a direct replacements for them.

Associate
OP
X2 HR?

For closed back I strongly recommend DT770. I have the 80 ohm version and they are very comfortable.

It's the non HR version I've got but the only differences are cosmetic (different earpads, etc)

Bear in mind that AKG use mini XLR with the K371. To use the V-Moda microphone with them, you'll need to use a mini XLR to 3.5mm adaptor. Can be done, as people do that with K702 etc; but an adaptor will add bulk and distance the microphone from the headphones somewhat.

From a V-Moda use point of view; still better than the DT770 though, as they have fixed dual entry cable. You'd need to use a different microphone with those headphones; maybe something like an Antlion Modmic.

M50X and HD598 take a 3.5mm jack cable, but both use a locking system. The V-Moda microphone may or may not fit. Depends if the jack housing is slim enough to fit in past the locking mechanism both manufacturers use. I imagine someone will be able to confirm that either way somewhere on the net.

Thanks for the heads-up didn't realise the cable was different. I still prefer it over the DT770 because its detachable.

According to the hype and some reviews the K371 are being considered one of the best closed back cans under £150, many are suggesting its better then the DT770s, AKG K550 and other similar offers.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/akg-k371.916764/page-5

But just like anything sound is so subjective, you would maybe need to have 3-4 of them to really compare for a few weeks even.

Certainly peaked my interest since I still love my AKG K550s closed backs, good isolation and nice overall sound with anything you throw at it but it would appear AKGs 371s maybe a direct replacements for them.

I'm pretty sure I'm set on the K371 now, thanks!

R3X

R3X

Soldato
They've stopped producing the K550. I bet you the drivers are identical as in the K371.

That is an interesting theory could be true, one of the reviewers said at point 13.33 minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=812&v=svAmJheRxAg&feature=emb_logo

That its better then his K550s, but the K371s are 50mm drivers also so its quite possible AKG fine tuned it with that harmon frequencies so their just bang on finely tuned out of the box.

I was tempted to try the Beyers DT-770s or K371s out but will see.

Caporegime

there is no such thing as a closed back equivalent of an open headphone. by making it closed back it completely changes the headphone and you will never get the openeness or as wide a soundstage.

also the HD598 is open so I don't know why you have listed that. the ATH-M50X is also crap it's average at best and over priced. The DT770 is the only choice out of those three.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
there is no such thing as a closed back equivalent of an open headphone. by making it closed back it completely changes the headphone and you will never get the openeness or as wide a soundstage.

also the HD598 is open so I don't know why you have listed that. the ATH-M50X is also crap it's average at best and over priced. The DT770 is the only choice out of those three.

That has always been something I desperately miss going with closed backs the lack of sound stage, but I have read the DT770s are meant to be pretty decent sound stage wise. Do you know any other closed backs that offer sound stage ?

Am tempted to try the DT770s and also AKG 371s out also

Caporegime
That has always been something I desperately miss going with closed backs the lack of sound stage, but I have read the DT770s are meant to be pretty decent sound stage wise. Do you know any other closed backs that offer sound stage ?

Am tempted to try the DT770s and also AKG 371s out also

I've only ever owned the dt770's as a closed set apart from some cheap Panasonic where were great.

So I can only recommend them however they still sound pants compared to fidelios or any other decent headphone I have owned or still do own.

Closed headphones are only good for travelling and I have xm3's for that with noise cancelling

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I've only ever owned the dt770's as a closed set apart from some cheap Panasonic where were great.

So I can only recommend them however they still sound pants compared to fidelios or any other decent headphone I have owned or still do own.

Closed headphones are only good for travelling and I have xm3's for that with noise cancelling

cheers, yeah its a tough choice with closed back I tend to listen to music and tv late so can't disturb the family so closed or iem are my limiting choices.

I will be keeping an eye out for the xm4s for sure.

Caporegime
cheers, yeah its a tough choice with closed back I tend to listen to music and tv late so can't disturb the family so closed or iem are my limiting choices.

I will be keeping an eye out for the xm4s for sure.

As long as you are in a different room it shouldn't really be an issue IMO.

If in the same room then I would kill 2 birds with 1 stone and get a decent travel noise cancelling pair like the XM3's. That way you can use them when out and about, when travelling on planes and trains, etc and also in the home.

My XM3's literally sit in their box and I only use on planes. As I travel by car and have music on there and hardly ever use public transport. I have no need for them in the home. I use AKG Q701's mainly for gaming.

I need to sell my others as I never use them - DT770, HD600 and HD700. I think I'll look into selling them in the next ebay £1 final value or on the members market here. They just sit in the original boxes as I can never be bothered unplugging the Q701's to swap and take them out when their usage would be better.

I'm tempted to try gaming with the HD700's though I've never used them since I bought them.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
As long as you are in a different room it shouldn't really be an issue IMO.

If in the same room then I would kill 2 birds with 1 stone and get a decent travel noise cancelling pair like the XM3's. That way you can use them when out and about, when travelling on planes and trains, etc and also in the home.

My XM3's literally sit in their box and I only use on planes. As I travel by car and have music on there and hardly ever use public transport. I have no need for them in the home. I use AKG Q701's mainly for gaming.

I need to sell my others as I never use them - DT770, HD600 and HD700. I think I'll look into selling them in the next ebay £1 final value or on the members market here. They just sit in the original boxes as I can never be bothered unplugging the Q701's to swap and take them out when their usage would be better.

I'm tempted to try gaming with the HD700's though I've never used them since I bought them.

Sadly I have paper thin walls in my place, I wanted to try the XM3s but with XM4 rumoured to be appearing next year I think ill wait for that oe.

I was still considering grabbing the DT770 just to try them, just out of random interest if you do put it on MM here how much were you thinking ?

I think you can get them for 65-70 quid on ebay sometimes

Caporegime
Sadly I have paper thin walls in my place, I wanted to try the XM3s but with XM4 rumoured to be appearing next year I think ill wait for that oe.

I was still considering grabbing the DT770 just to try them, just out of random interest if you do put it on MM here how much were you thinking ?

I think you can get them for 65-70 quid on ebay sometimes

tbh with them being my only closed pair i'll keep them. i just need to start using my open sets and finalise my choice

Back
Top Bottom