Windows 10 Ensuring a specific account always logs in

Associate
Afternoon,

Have a question regarding Win10. Lets say I have 2 accounts, Admin account and standard user account with admin priveleges. I want the standard user account to be the only account that logs in on startup. How do I ensure that windows always uses the same user on reboot, and not the last logged in user?

This will be used in an enviroment where no keyboard and mouse are available so it's essential for me that the admin account is never the logged in account as this would require a keyboard/mouse to change it.

Appreciate any insight you might have

Cheers

Associate
OP
Thanks for that Quartz, is that only for Admin accounts or will that also also work on a standard user account with admin priveleges?
I need to ensure that no password is required on start up too for the standard user account. Can i accomplish all of that using AutoAdminLogon?

Will netplwiz accomplish the same thing?

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for that Quartz, is that only for Admin accounts or will that also also work on a standard user account with admin priveleges?

Any account with admin privs.

I need to ensure that no password is required on start up too for the standard user account. Can i accomplish all of that using AutoAdminLogon?

As long as the account has admin privs.

Will netplwiz accomplish the same thing?

I don't know.

Soldato
Will 'control userpasswords2' not do what you need?

Seems a bit of a simple answer, which makes me think I'm not understanding the question :p

Soldato
It asks which account to use as part of the procedure!

1. Sign in to your Windows account. You can sign in to any Windows account, you don't need to sign in to the account that you want to configure automatic sign ins for. Just make sure it is not restricted.
  2. Tap on the Windows-key, type cmd.exe and hit enter. This should load the Windows command prompt.
  3. Type control userpasswords2 and hit the enter key afterwards (you can also type netplwiz which takes you to the same system tool). You may receive a prompt asking for the administrative password. This opens the User Accounts control panel applet on the screen.
  4. Select the user account from the list that you want the system to log in to automatically. Uncheck the box "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" and click apply.
  5. You are prompted to enter the account password which Windows will use to sign in.
  6. Check the user account displayed by Windows to make sure it is the right one.
  7. After you have entered the password twice and clicked on ok, restart the PC to test the change.

Soldato
Yes but the problem is that it isn't resilient. Try this: do your procedure above, then create a new account, log in under that account, then reboot. Which account comes up?

It boots to whichever account it is set to boot to in the 'control userpasswords2' dialog, regardless of how many other accounts are on the computer.

It is definitely persistent, I've been using it for years.

I can only think there is a miscommunication or misunderstanding here somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom