Cheapest way to get prints / decals onto acrylic

Soldato
OP
Blue is the only colour I have in this plastic :(
Don't feel rushed to make any plans/drawings :)

Things like this take literately seconds on a laser.
The only hard part is having the materials to suit the project. White is something I have never carried.

hhmm maybe I could spray a thin piece of wood white and engrave that, oh the possibilities :D

How would you feel about me posting you a piece of white perspex / acrylic? I've found some on eBay that I could have delivered cheaper than I could post mine.

The other option is that two layer material. I swear my clients used to call it trafilite, but I can't find it readily available anyway. The annoying thing is if I was still working one of them would happily give me a cut off!

Soldato
OP
Wanton_1.JPG

Printed and cut a sample earlier. No issues with the size of cutting. Will post an image later once I upload it somewhere.

Those look absolutely incredible man. Cannot believe how much effort people have out in for this.

I'll upload drawings and finals ASAP.

Soldato
Wanton_1.JPG

Printed and cut a sample earlier. No issues with the size of cutting. Will post an image later once I upload it somewhere.
What printer are you using for this? Are there relatively cheap options available? I teach some a-level product design lessons and this would be a great touch on some of the products they design and make.

Soldato
Those were made on a Roland BN-20.
Over £5,000 new but can be had second-hand. They are expensive to own and run.
Also need loving care almost daily. Not really suitable for a school with some of the heavy handed pupils and the limited budgets.
Would spend most of its time idle and if you've ever owned an inkjet printer you might have come across blocked nozzles and the like.
A cheap laser and laser sticker material might work along with a vinyl cutter of some sort. I used to support my DT department with similar and 2D Design but it was rarely utilized.

Soldato
As above for occasional use a colour laser printing on a suitable laser specific film and then contour cut via a small A4 Silhouette Cameo or similar would be your best bet, it’ll also open up stencil work (glass etching is pretty easy) and limited (by size) t-shirt transfers either via ironing them or better yet use a heat press. You 100% do not want any solvent printer sat idle as it needs near daily maintenance if not used or the head will dry out and you are in for a world of hurt and expense. Also you need to consider ventilation with solvent ink.

Back
Top Bottom