£1000 PC spec questions...

Associate
Hi,

I used to build PC's a lot for myself and friends, I used to be up on all the latest hardware etc., but now, well life gets in the way, other things take priority, and now I don't have a clue what's out there!

A mate at work has asked if I could build him and his family (wife and son) a PC for his son to game on and everyone else to use for everyday PC stuff.

His budget is £1000, and for that we wants everything apart from a keyboard and mouse, which he already has.

I've been reading up about processors, and kind of decided on the Ryzen 5 3600. For the motherboard, and as my friend may want to upgrade to something faster in 3 years or so, I wondered if an X570 would do? The low end ones seem pretty all over the place from what I've read. I did *almost* settle on the MSI Gaming Edge Wifi, then read some pretty poor reviews. And also, it needs another 12V power connector apparently? I can't seem to find a psu in his budget with two 12v power connectors, unless they're called something else?

He wants 16GB of RAM, a 24" monitor, a graphics card good enough to play games on at half-decent frame rates (I'm not expecting miracles), Wifi (a card or onboard), a case with a window (his son will love that).

Anyway, if anyone could help out and spec me something suitable I'd be very pleased!

Cheers,

Gray

Associate
OP
Thanks... But I'd like to make it more future-proof (at least for 3 years or so), that's why I asked the question about the X570. Also, would a B450 recognise a Ryzen 5 3600? I haven't got another CPU to flash the BIOS with if I'd need to.

Soldato
/\/\/\ AFAIK only the MSI B450 MAX boards are guaranteed to take a Zen 2 CPU out of the box & OCUK was cleaned out of them over last weekend. No idea when they'll be back in stock hence the gigabyte board. I built a rig around one of these back in July for my Nephew & provided you get good airflow in your case choice & run at stock settings I cant see a problem. Good X570 boards are almost double the price & I did what I could with your budget.

Soldato
Thanks... But I'd like to make it more future-proof (at least for 3 years or so), that's why I asked the question about the X570. Also, would a B450 recognise a Ryzen 5 3600? I haven't got another CPU to flash the BIOS with if I'd need to.

Pure power house!

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,035.51 (includes shipping: £19.62)

intel version- INTEL is better at 1080p gaming so your not losing frames, but this build is 5700 non XT so you'll lose out on frames against above's XT model. A hit with the Above not to lose out on frames- in game render to 1440p ! allows ryzen CPU to stand equally with intel

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,020.42 (includes shipping: £19.62)​

Last edited:
Associate
There are places that will flash the BIOS for you, some for free. Mine came flashed so I could pop in 3600 and it just worked. This might give you more choice.

Back
Top Bottom