Best small games on GOG?

Soldato
I'm currently in hospital and the wifi is awful so I'm having to use my mobile phone as a mobile hot spot. Even then I'm only getting about 1.5MB/sec down so I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good games on GOG that are small so it doesn't require hours to download?

I've already downloaded Banished and DEFCON. Both look like interesting games but I'd love to hear some more recommendations.

Soldato
OP
Cool. Thanks. World of Goo looks interesting and Torchlight sounds like my cup of tea as well. I haven't heard of the other ones so I'll check them out too.

Associate
I'd like to add (sizes as installed):

Duskers (240 MB)
Infested Planet (343 MB)
Streets of Rogue (369 MB)
Heroes of a Broken Land (88 MB)

Soldato
FTL is about 200MB.

Xenonauts is 2.5GB so would take about 30 mins. But on it's own it'll keep you occupied for scores of hours.

But if you want to go proper small, go for the stuff that used to come on a floppy disk.

X-COM: Ufo defence is 15MB and still exceedingly playable.

Associate
A few more to add to the list with approximate sizes:

Beneath a Steel Sky (145MB) - Point and click adventure
Superfrog (15MB) - Platformer
Earth 2150 The Moon Project (645MB) - RTS
Constructor (415MB) - Empire/city building w/ gangs
Terraria (240MB) - 2d sandbox

Soldato
A few more to add to the list with approximate sizes:

Beneath a Steel Sky (145MB) - Point and click adventure
Superfrog (15MB) - Platformer
Earth 2150 The Moon Project (645MB) - RTS
Constructor (415MB) - Empire/city building w/ gangs
Terraria (240MB) - 2d sandbox

Superfrog!! What a great game. Not played that since the 90s on my Amiga. edit, wow, 1993. I would have been 9 :)

Soldato
Spent far too many hours playing it as a kid, that and Zool.
Always enjoy booting it up every now and then on GOG for some nostalgia.

There really was something something special about Amiga games and the companies that created them.
You just knew it was going to be something special when certain company logos and some atmospheric background music started playing

These come to mind;

Bitmap Brothers
Team 17
Psygnosis
Rainbow Arts
Cinemaware
Bullfrog
Blue Byte
Gremlin
Virgin Interactive
Codemasters
Core Design
DMA Design
Digital Illusions
Sensible Software
Ocean Software

I guess a lot of the above influenced the gaming world today.

Things like this

This used to scare the crap out of me

Anyway, back on topic - OP, im sure there is a website where old Amiga games can now be downloaded any played for free. Downloads are only around 5-10mb per game, most will beat all the rubbish today in terms of gameplay

Prince of Persia, PP Hammer and Cannon Fodder should keep you entertained for a while!

Last edited:
Soldato
Rimworld is 250mb or so and if it clicks then it will kill the hours.

There is also TrackMania Nations which is a free time trial racing game with hundreds of levels. It's maybe half a gig?

If you get desperate there is always Elastomania. That was a hit in ICT class 15 years ago and I'm pretty sure it is from the early 90s, it'll be a tiny file size. You can make custom levels for it.

Soldato
OP
Using the new GOG Galaxy 2.0 client I can actually download bigger games as it saves what you have already downloaded so I have downloaded Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition as it is a game I used to love when I was younger and I'd love to play through a whole campaign.

Associate
Using the new GOG Galaxy 2.0 client I can actually download bigger games as it saves what you have already downloaded so I have downloaded Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition as it is a game I used to love when I was younger and I'd love to play through a whole campaign.

There's only one possible response to this...

Edit: Can't believe v1 didn't save download progress!

Back
Top Bottom