Help needed with Ryzen 3700x build

Associate
I am planning to build a new PC after almost 10 years during Christmas holidays.
I will be mainly using it for software development(3-4 docker images, wildfly server, Intellij IDE, postgres db, active MQ etc). My son will use it occasionally for gaming (mainly fortnight).

I have keyboard and mouse. Please suggest a monitor which is less taxing on eyes. I spend lot of time in front of screen.
I will also need a wifi card and contemplating adding another 500gb SSD for ubuntu.
I am likely to upgrade CPU and RAM after few years.
My budget is around £1600[I have some flexibility].
This is my initial basket, please suggest any improvements:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,303.02 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

Associate
Basket looks good to me. You could always see how you get on with the bundled cooler first.

I've recently tried a few monitors due to suffering eye strain whilst at work. I settled on a Dell IPS Ultrasharp and it has made a noticeable improvement. I'm only on a 1080p 60hz model though which is probably a little under specified for your needs.

Soldato
Looks good.

Honestly you could just use the paste that comes with the heatsink, the 3700X isn't a heat generating beast and the Mugen 5 will be more than adequate no matter what compound you choose to use.

Soldato
If you (or your son) is only going to be playing Minecraft and you are mainly going to be doing dev work with docker images, active MQ and the like wouldn't it be a better idea to downgrade to a 5700 (non-XT) and get a 3900x instead?

Associate
As mentioned, scythe mugen (in list above) comes with a tube of thermal paste, and a very useful metallic screwdriver (good for pc builds). I did a 3700x build a couple of months ago and that cooler works well with that cpu.

Soldato
Soldato
Please suggest a monitor which is less taxing on eyes. I spend lot of time in front of screen.

From the best smaller and cheap 24" 1080p 144Hz IPS in my opinion, to larger 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS and stopping around £450:

Total: £1,988.97 (includes shipping: £39.06)

The Acer Nitros have a reputation for flickering, however I don't know if all models are affected. I've ordered the BenQ EX2780Q for myself, should have it soon. But if you like to pivot and height adjust then it's not for you.

https://www.windowscentral.com/benq-ex2780q-gaming-monitor-review

https://www.pcmag.com/review/372030/benq-ex2780q

I will also need a wifi card and contemplating adding another 500gb SSD for ubuntu.

OcUK have recently been selling MSI B450 Pro Carbon with updated BIOS. It has better WiFi than what you can purchase for the same cost through Tomahawk + add-in card. If for whatever reason the box does not say Ryzen 3000 ready, then it has BIOS Flashback to allow flashing without a CPU inside.

Associate
OP
If you (or your son) is only going to be playing Minecraft and you are mainly going to be doing dev work with docker images, active MQ and the like wouldn't it be a better idea to downgrade to a 5700 (non-XT) and get a 3900x instead?
At the moment I am using Macbook pro, I7, 2017 model without any issues for development work. I thought 3700x should keep me going for few years and then I can upgrade CPU(and possibly motherboard if required).
Not planning to upgrade GPU though and hence thought I will go for XT version.

Associate
OP
I have updated basket as per above suggestions.

Total: £1,292.58 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

Associate
OP
OcUK have recently been selling MSI B450 Pro Carbon with updated BIOS. It has better WiFi than what you can purchase for the same cost through Tomahawk + add-in card. If for whatever reason the box does not say Ryzen 3000 ready, then it has BIOS Flashback to allow flashing without a CPU inside.

Is MSI B450 Pro Carbon better than MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX?

Associate
OP
Now all I need to do is find a good monitor with some sort of eye care tech and wait for boxing day deals :)

Total: £1305.58 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

Associate
OP
I am getting following warning when I checked compatibility of components on pc part picker. What are the implications of not having 4-pin ATX power connector? Don't think I will need to overclock for my use case.

The MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Platinum 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

Soldato
I am getting following warning when I checked compatibility of components on pc part picker. What are the implications of not having 4-pin ATX power connector? Don't think I will need to overclock for my use case.

You don't need to use the additional 4 pin power connector as the 8 pin is fine. However, that is one small way in which the SuperFlower Leadex III 650W Gold does best the Seasonic Prime 650 Platinum. It has 2 x 4+4 EPS/CPU power connectors and the other 1 x 4+4.

Associate
OP
I managed to finally build my PC yesterday.
I had to make few changes as I wanted delivery of items on 28th Dec and not all items were available.

1. Phantek p400a case
2. Corsair RM650i PSU
3. Did not order Mugen cooler
4. Added one more 500 GB SSD for Linux.
5. iiyama ProLite XUB2792QSU-B1 27" QHD IPS Monitor

Thanks to all for suggestions and inputs.

Back
Top Bottom