Christmas dinner ideas and tips

Soldato
For the carrots boil for a few mins then add to pan with a load of butter, garlic, parsley, honey and lemon juice. Toss and coat evenly then chuck in the oven for 25-30 mins.

For a second meat bone in beef ribs or rolled pork belly would be my choice, Turkey is very lean so something fattier would go well.

Permabanned
I'll have my turkey tomorrow, 8.1kg/18lbs. Cornbread dressing, greens & potatoes somehow, and pumpkin & sweet potato pies with dollops of caramel/something gelato :)

For Xmas, thinking goose or duck, and lamb, and more pies etc. and gingerbread cookies :D

Eggnog is a thing here, and the local one without HFCS etc is great; no alcohol - got my clinical cannabis, legalised last year in this state :)

Last edited:
Associate
I'll have my turkey tomorrow, 8.1kg/18lbs. Cornbread dressing, greens & potatoes somehow, and pumpkin & sweet potato pies with dollops of caramel/something gelato :)

For Xmas, thinking goose or duck, and lamb, and more pies etc. and gingerbread cookies :D

Eggnog is a thing here, and the local one without HFCS etc is great; no alcohol - got my clinical cannabis, legalised last year in this state :)

Tomorrow? You do realise Christmas Day is the 25th December....???:p That's a big bird though! I think mine will be around 5-6kg, doubt anything more would fit in my oven!

Permabanned
Yeah, Thanksgiving. I wrote that yesterday here.

Couldn't care less about any religious or most cultural aspects for either, so don't care when I have turkey as long as I have it vaguely around this time of the year :p.

Permabanned
Oh, no pics of this mess. It's simple, however. I mean, I know how to cook decently so it isn't daunting like some people see cooking turkeys, yet I rarely have whole turkey so I'm happy to have it simply. Think we're covered on seasoning, and she's got a bag and maybe something else which I haven't used before so we'll see. I eat spinach/broccoli/etc nearly everyday for health, so that's not mine here. And I'll probably just make sloppy mashed with the skins, (proper) bacon pieces, real butter etc.

Soldato
Roast Goose
goose fat potatoes
sprouts par-boiled then sauteed in butter, bacon and walnuts
carrots roasted in butter with a little star anise
Finnish rutabaga (I'm half Finnish)
chicken wing gravy

Soldato
Thinking of turkey crown maybe done on smoker or maybe just oven :D
Slow cooked ham with marmalade and cloves
Potatoes will be mashed and roasts
Veggies so far roast parsnips and carrots
Stuffing and gravy obviously!
Puds tbc but probably Christmas pudding with custard

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone got any tips on doing a Christmas dinner in a criminally small and ancient oven?

The place we've moved to has a ~40 year old cooker and I'm having doubts about how to fit the Turkey, spuds, parsnips and pigs in blanket in there at (roughly) the same time. Family of five.

I was thinking about a few knock out veg sides to overshadow any uneveness that may come as a result of the oven itself. The oven cavity is tiny - can't fit small baking trays lengthways next to each other and it's so old that the gas marks have been handwritten onto the knob, therefore being utterly unreliable.

Associate
So the turkey can be done on it's own...you need to rest it anyway for circa 1hr (up to 2 dependent on size) so get that cooked and then do your veg whilst your turkey rests!

Back
Top Bottom