*** The La Cuisine 'General Discussion' Thread ***

Soldato
stupid sainsburys ?

so yesterdays visit to JS, they no longer have thin bags for the loose vegetables ... rather want to flog you a bag for 30p LOL
not even Waitrose idea of free eco/decomposting bags;
So have stopped buying veg there until I find a solution.

If you turn up at their regular checkout with a bag of mixed veg, I'm sure the assistant will be happy if they're are tipped out for sorting/weighing on the conveyor.

Soldato
stupid sainsburys ?

so yesterdays visit to JS, they no longer have thin bags for the loose vegetables ... rather want to flog you a bag for 30p LOL
not even Waitrose idea of free eco/decomposting bags;
So have stopped buying veg there until I find a solution.

If you turn up at their regular checkout with a bag of mixed veg, I'm sure the assistant will be happy if they're are tipped out for sorting/weighing on the conveyor.

I never put veg or fruit in the bags. Just in my trolley and then load them together on the belt. I don’t have an issue.

Soldato
ok

https://www.about.sainsburys.co.uk/...bags-from-our-bakery-and-fruit-and-veg-aisles
Shopping for fruit and vegetables
One of the many steps we’re taking to meet our 2025 target is to remove all plastic bags from our bakery and fruit and veg aisles. This will save a combined 515 tonnes of plastic each year. Following a successful trial in our Lincoln and Kidlington stores in which customer feedback was resoundingly positive, we’re rolling this out to all stores across the UK.

When shopping for loose fruit and veg our customers can now purchase a reusable drawstring bag or bring in their own containers. These bags are each made from one recycled plastic bottle and are available in stores for 30p. So far we’ve removed all plastic bags and replaced them with reusable bags in all our convenience stores and almost 500 supermarkets with all final stores to follow by the end of October – saving 489 tonnes of plastic per year.

Usually keep vegetables in the fridge in those bags ( potatoes) re-usable bags in fridge would not be hygienic either .... so I think it is short-sighted ... you can't put unwrapped veg in the fridge.

edit: their resounding feedback must be from people who buy for the day, not the fortnight

Associate
I bought one of those reusable bags last week...they kind of force you to now, all the thin plastic bags were gone from Sainsbury's and it was either tomatoes loose or get one of those bags.

Noticed this too , I'd prefer paper bags though like my local grocer has, then any peelings can go in the paper bags and into the food waste caddy, much less mess.

Did think i could buy a pack, but i'd feel a right weirdo taking my own paper bags with! Also imagine the till-tart would be mightily confused.

Soldato
I went to a party on Sunday and the host made tons of great food. One of the things on the table was cold brown rice and there was a bowl of some yoghurt which I believe was a homemade tzatziki. The yoghurt was very nice with the rice. I just bought some brown basmati and a tub of tzatsiki. I don't know what she added to the rice, but just wondering what you would suggest to make the rice interesting and super tasty? I want to eat it both cold or hot.

Soldato
Tesco have removed all bags from their online shopping and its a massive ball ache now when the delivery turns up. They do still provide the thin bags when i order loose veg though.

Caporegime
ok

https://www.about.sainsburys.co.uk/...bags-from-our-bakery-and-fruit-and-veg-aisles

Usually keep vegetables in the fridge in those bags ( potatoes) re-usable bags in fridge would not be hygienic either .... so I think it is short-sighted ... you can't put unwrapped veg in the fridge.

edit: their resounding feedback must be from people who buy for the day, not the fortnight

Why can;t you put unwrapped veg in a fridge, in fact, you pretty much have to unwrap them all and let them breath or they don't last

Soldato
I went to a party on Sunday and the host made tons of great food. One of the things on the table was cold brown rice and there was a bowl of some yoghurt which I believe was a homemade tzatziki. The yoghurt was very nice with the rice. I just bought some brown basmati and a tub of tzatsiki. I don't know what she added to the rice, but just wondering what you would suggest to make the rice interesting and super tasty? I want to eat it both cold or hot.

What sort of flavouring do you want? Like, any particular style? You could do so many things. Brown rice kedgeree is wicked.

Why can;t you put unwrapped veg in a fridge, in fact, you pretty much have to unwrap them all and let them breath or they don't last
Yep, always take it out the bags in the fridge anyway as it won't last otherwise.

Soldato
Yep, always take it out the bags in the fridge anyway as it won't last otherwise
so what veg do you keep unbagged in fridge ? smells too no ?
always plastic bag cauli/carrot/leek/cabbage, mushrooms/toms(+interior paper bag) ... potatoes/onions, or fruit, not in fridge.

News, said, today, people are buying one 4life bag a week, for complete shop, ... so price should be increased, but didn't disclose if that was in shop or for delivery.

Soldato
I keep all veg unbagged. Carrots, onions, peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, fresh herbs... I'm not sure if I need to name all veg in existence :D No smell though, all good. Just in the pull out drawer at the bottom.

Soldato
Another reason I forgot .. probably the most important .. the fridge (with its low humidity) dehydrates unbagged vegetable, and they will oxidise more, if unwrapped

Associate
Struggling for meal ideas, we only really have time to shop and cook over weekends for the week ahead.

Thai red curries. Brazilian red curries. Chillies. Dhal. Channa. Stew. Ratatouille. Moussaka. Fish pie. Soups.

Our usual conversation every weekend is "what do you want to eat this week?".

Soldato
so getting rid of plastic on multi-pacs in tescos to 'save' 350 tonnes of plastic

- how much will the prices go up ie there are a reduced number of multi deals.
- how much longer will it take to scan stuff (which offsets the plastics gain ie you need more tills)
- beer ?

Soldato
I assumed they'd be replacing the plastic with cardboard sleeves. I doubt they'll just have them loose on the shelf otherwise you'd end up with multipack stock being split and sold individually which the shops won't want.

Edit - I was wrong, it seems the will be individual tins.

Tins will be available individually, with no plastic wrap holding them together any more. They’ll still be eligible for multibuy deals, representing the same good value for customers, just without plastic

Source.

Last edited:
Caporegime
so getting rid of plastic on multi-pacs in tescos to 'save' 350 tonnes of plastic

- how much will the prices go up ie there are a reduced number of multi deals.
- how much longer will it take to scan stuff (which offsets the plastics gain ie you need more tills)
- beer ?
Bottled beer multipacks use cardboard already, but cans could be a struggle. I do hate those plastic things that hold cans together though. They cause a lot of problems to wildlife when they’re just dumped.

Back
Top Bottom