When are you going fully electric?

Associate
The Mini, like the Honda E, is a "city car", which in the EV world seems to be code for "small battery".
Personally, I think it's a bit pricey for what it is. Not sure whether anyone is getting discounts on them, but the OTR price is higher than typical Leaf/Zoe etc. prices.

7,000 orders in the UK for the Mini Electric so far.

I was told the £3500 OLEV grant is now locked in since I've placed my order. The garage seem to think the grant will be killed next year.

Caporegime
7,000 orders in the UK for the Mini Electric so far.

I was told the £3500 OLEV grant is now locked in since I've placed my order. The garage seem to think the grant will be killed next year.

the garage is hardly going to say you should wait and get it next year. they will want your money and order now. so saying the grant will vanish next year is an easy sell. i wouldn't trust it to be gospel though.

Soldato
I’d expect it to be reduced and/or further restrictions added every time there is some kind of budget going forward.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a levy wasn’t planed on new ICE cars that arnt at least hybrid in the future either.

Last edited:
Soldato
he's dead Jim - https://www.driving.co.uk/news/government-plans-scrap-35000-plug-car-grant-subsidy-electric-cars/

Lead times 3.9 We recognise that some manufacturers have long lead times and in this case the order should be started as soon as a ‘contract’ has been signed with the customer. 3.10 A grant is not guaranteed until the vehicle has been validated through the portal. However, provided that the vehicle is registered within 9 months from the date the order is made, any claim placed on the system for a specific customer will be guaranteed to benefit from the grant at the level advertised at the time the claim is made.

Soldato
Not quite the car I really wanted but it was too good a deal to pass up.

I ordered an electric Ioniq a couple of days ago through the work salary sacrifice scheme.

Premium SE spec, 20k a year, fully maintained, includes insurance, no deposit and £265 a month for 2 years. ETA at the moment is mid Feb.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not quite the car I really wanted but it was too good a deal to pass up.

I ordered an electric Ioniq a couple of days ago through the work salary sacrifice scheme.

Premium SE spec, 20k a year, fully maintained, includes insurance, no deposit and £265 a month for 2 years. ETA at the moment is mid Feb.

That’s great, especially considering the mileage. I do similar mileage and I don’t think anything under £350 with a large deposit has been possible for an EV. What company is that with?

Last edited:
Soldato
That’s great, especially considering the mileage. I do similar mileage and I don’t think anything under £350 with a large deposit has been possible for an EV. What company is that with?

I recently checked the finance calculator for my EV and that's now £100 higher pm for the same deposit and mileage so yeah the finance companies are cottoning on now.

Soldato
I work for Saint-Gobain and the scheme is through Zenith. The price is great, its almost the same as I currently spend running a 10 year old diesel.

Soldato
Due to the new BIK rules coming in 2020, there is going to be huge demand from company car users etc. for BEV's as it makes financial sense to do so. This is really going to cause the availability for non-fleet users to drop, but it will start increasing work place chargers, and possibly even rapid chargers near industrial parks etc.

I think 2020 is going to be a stand out year for BEV's here in the UK.

Soldato
So my little contribution to the thread, we've just replaced my wifes Diesel Nissan Juke with a Hybrid Mitsubishi Outlander. She needed a larger car now the kids are bigger and the spec on the Outlander was very good. Interestingly enough it can be charged at home or at stations, can run entirely on petrol if necessary and the car can charge itself - petrol engine runs and charges the batteries. There is no road tax to pay on it either which is nice, although doubtless that won't last forever.

Back
Top Bottom