HD ok in Windows but fails in Linux???

Soldato
I had this issue a few years ago, or very similar. I cannot for the life of me remember the solution?

I have a PC that I have been using as a testing Linux PC for a short while, and it has been rock solid for me.

The other day, it seemed to kind of slow down randomly, and it turned out to be the HD.

I would copy files and it would be going at a fair pace of about 80-90MB/s and then it would struggle and pretty much stop... It then decided that the HD was READONLY.

Restart and it would copy just fien again for about 10 seconds and then it would slow to a halt and back to READ ONLY.

Now, I did a fresh install, I went with Peppermint 10 and everything went ok, but the fine-slow-halt-RW issue came back, and so I diod another reinstall and this time, I removed the partition data ( The SSD is / and a swap and the problematic WDBlue is /home ). but again, it did the same.

This time, every time I started the PC up, it gave me the CTRL-C to cancel Filesystem check, and so there must be somethign wrong?

I ran a few filesystem checks but everythign said it is fine????

I tried a few more times with a few different distros and I tried to kill off the partition info and redo it, but nothing would work.

I then thought bugger it, lets see what windows says about the drive...

I chucked it into another PC, and the first thing it saw, was a werid filesystem? I had to delete it and at first, it crashed the PC but then when I restarted it, I was able to kill the partition, and make and NTFS one using the full disk, and it went just fine.

I then used CHKDSK /R and it went through the entire partition and after almost 4 hours, it came back clean!

I then copied a load of files to it and then made copies of those files and then deleted a load of files and defragged the drive, and messed about for a good while, copying while its trying to defrag and everything.

Absolutely nothing seems to be wrong with the Disk at all?

I put iot back into the other PC and then I install Windows instead of Linux, and Im fully able to use the disk under Windows and again , after loads of testing and prattign about, I decide that I am happy the disk is ok, and so I install Linux again, and boom, Im back with the issues?

Now, this has all taken about 10 days in total of me messing about, I have installed windows and the disk is fine, but any Linux and it says the disk is wrecked.

This morning I used a completely ddifferent paid of disks SSD+HD and its absoluitely fine.

So its not the PC, its definitely that particular HD and only under Linux, so what the hell?

Anyone have any clues?

Soldato
Any reason you’ve not downloaded the manufacturers diagnostic tool for the drive and run it’s diagnostics/full scan?

Soldato
OP
There is nothing on it I care about.
Its been a test PC and its one of many, but I wanted to sort it out to give to a mate, and the HD was doing my nut in cos its been rock solid and its had hardly any actual use... Baing a Linux Test machine, I have hardly ever done a format on it, the SSD was / and Swap and the 2TB has always been /home and I never formatted it.. No need to.

Even if I wanted to wipe all the settings, I would simply boot from the install into a desktop to test linux, and then rename my user account to whatever and then after the install, copy the stuff I need, such as docs, pics, por... I mean educational documentaries and so on, but they are all on my main PCs anyway.

I have checked the warranty and its 2 years were up on the 18/11/2019 so that a suspicios time frame isnt it? LOL

I got a 2 Drive NAS doing nothing here, those disks are from 2012 but again, they have not had a hard life and they check out and so bugger it... I will use one of them.

I got my other NAS drives and the Server for my main Storage so Im not struggling.

Soldato
OP
Well, well, well...

Turned out to the power!

The other drive has worked fine and then all of a sudden, it too develoepd errors.

After some more faffing about, I realised that I am using a Molex to SATA Power splitter, and so I had a fiddle about with that and one of the wires, is slightly funky.

I dont know why, but either Windows allowed better tolerance of the errors than Linux did, or it was simply pure bad luck that while using Windows, it didnt show its ugly head up, but did under l';;inux.. I dont know, but I have now changed that cable for a better one ( even though that was also new - ebay junk of course ) but all of last night and today, I have been faffing about and pulling and pushing on the wires inside the case and its been stable all this time with that WD Drive I thought was iffy.

Cant explain it but there you go... It seems to be fine for now.

Soldato
OP
Good job you didn't junk the drive eh.

Absolutely.
I can often be impatient.
I think had it been an issue woth both Win and LIN, I would have junked it right away, but the fact that it seems to be ok in Linux made me kind of hold on to hope.

It really annoyed me that it worked in WINDOWS but LINUX Failed it and it did seem to be that was a thing, but it must have simply been a sheer fluke, that I connected the cables properly, or moved the cables into a position over here when I was playing with Linux but I moved them to over there and thus breaking or making the contact that bit iffy... I did this 4 or 5 times and that seemed to make it look like it was the OS but it was not.

But yeah, its still going perfectly so far.

Lets not spread much on the sandwich here, but ebay is chock ful of some of the most useless and rotten crud.

I have over a dozen PCs and as I am on a constant upgrade path with them, Im constantly swapping bits here and there and they do get dammaged and worn, but I think even so... Im done with it and Im buying quality parts from now on.

( or I hope I am )

APM

APM

Associate
It's my xp that dodgy drives perform better with Linux than Windows so that was an unexpected one but power was an obvious thing to mention that didn't get mentioned,maybe I need a new cable for inside my head,ha.

I've used ebay for all manner of connectors over the years and very rarely have a failure though mostly with HD connectors,what can go wrong with such a simple thing as a molex to HDD power converter apart from a loose wire?

Back
Top Bottom