Best Anti-fogging Stuff?

Soldato
A/C doesn't work below -3C (depending on vehicle) ;)

Yes, I've seen a few variations on that theme – and as you say, it does vary – but it's not quite that cold yet (is it?)! Average winter temperature's about four degrees, here, too.

Using AC can sap 10% of a cars power..

A degree of perspective is required there. Any remotely modern system consumes about four horsepower, if that, in normal operation. Maybe up to ten, at most, when it's working flat out in hot climates – which would be ten percent for a 100hp city car. In anything more powerful, you're probably not going to notice.

Many are also disengaged automatically when rapid acceleration is required, too, or automatically controlled to reduce the load to suit. :)

Man of Honour
A degree of perspective is required there. Any remotely modern system consumes about four horsepower, if that, in normal operation. Maybe up to ten, at most, when it's working flat out in hot climates – which would be ten percent for a 100hp city car. In anything more powerful, you're probably not going to notice.

Many are also disengaged automatically when rapid acceleration is required, too, or automatically controlled to reduce the load to suit. :)

Mine definitely adjusts the load when under rapid acceleration - I do notice a small hit to MPG when running the AC in winter though - comparing the same trip over multiple runs with and without it in roughly the same temperatures returns around 3-4% difference in MPG.

EDIT: That is a rough observation - there is a difference but no more than 4% - probably more like 2-3% really.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, I've seen a few variations on that theme – and as you say, it does vary – but it's not quite that cold yet (is it?)! Average winter temperature's about four degrees, here, too.

I used the wrong thing there, was meant to be ~3C to say around 3C, not minus 3 :p So yeah there's been plenty of times where A/C wont have been operating the past month or so, it's very noticeable too.

Associate
I have found the Rain-X you are supposed to use on the outside is terrible unless on a brand new screen, but on the inside of the glass (that is always like brand new) it really helps stop condensation, fog, smears etc... and makes it easier to clean. Thanks for the thread I haven't done this in recent years, if I can find the old bottle I will give both cars a coating. before applying they have to be very clean and then apply two coats.

Soldato
found a bottle of rain x anti fog in the garage.

So.. i cleaned the inside of the windscreen till my arm wanted to fall off.

Applied it on a clean microfiber

allowed to dry

tried to buff it off with a new microfiber... oh my.. was impossible as it kept making the cloth stop.

after 20 mins of rubbing, its clean.. but still fogs when i breath on it.

absolutely useless.

Soldato
Working perfectly on my windows, @Diagro. Sort of sounds like you removed it all, given the amount of effort you applied in buffing it. If its incredibly hard to buff (it shouldn't be!) then try spritzing some water on the window.

Soldato
tried to buff it off with a new microfiber... oh my.. was impossible as it kept making the cloth stop.
the autobrite repellant stuff doesn't need buffing .. moreover you just re-clean with glass cleaner.
as others commented, gave up on rain-x ... was wearing off in patches on the outside, anyway.

if the interior window is kept clean, using a new/clean shammy should be ok to quickly mop interior.

Soldato
I use these ‘ 2x Large SILICA DEHUMIDIFYING REUSABLE MOISTURE DEHUMIDIFIER ‘ pads and they are in the front in each corner of the dashboard and they work very well.

just type the item into eBay as that’s where I got mine from.

Back
Top Bottom