• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2080 vs 2080 super? Or wait for Ampere... Go!

Associate
As the title suggests...

a) Used 2080 ("Ventus", to be AIO cooled) @ £420
b) New 2080 super ("Asus Dual" cooled) @ £570
or...
c) Wait for Ampere!

Need a 4k card because my TV sometimes supports 1440p, sometimes doesn't, and my gtx1080 just isn't up to 4k. Don't wanna wait (guessing till around July/Aug 2020) for Ampere but maybe should.

What would you do and why... GO!

P.S...
Considering a used 2080 because of £150 price difference (vs 10% fps gain) and because my Kraken x61+g12 voids warranties anyway (except EVGA).
I'm guessing a watercooled 2080 with descent OC will narrow that 10% performance gap against a 2080 super?

Soldato
1080ti is not 4k card I agree, but neither is 2080 super.

Either get 2080 Ti or don't bother anything rose is a side grade.

If you can turn settings down the I would advise to wait it out. If you can't 2080ti it is.

Associate
OP
1080ti is not 4k card I agree, but neither is 2080 super.

Either get 2080 Ti or don't bother anything rose is a side grade.

If you can turn settings down the I would advise to wait it out. If you can't 2080ti it is.

If I had a 1080ti it would be easier to wait just as you say... But my 1080 is just a poor mans non ti 1080! I even considered getting a 1080ti as they're about £380-420 here in China but rtx2070s is same price, and 2080 only about £60 more.

Why you say 2080 is not a 4k card? Almost every bench I've looked at the 2080 super averages over 60fps @ ultra, and the non super albeit just about. However, I always turn off AA, shadows and motion blur so always add an extra 10-20% to benching scores... My perception of a 4k card might be slightly construed.

Even in China the 2080ti is like £850... So an extra £300 for measly 15-20% performance? Naaahhhh... That's a case where I would DEFINITELY put the £300 aside for the Ampere/life savings pot :D

Soldato
There's been new legit leaks about consoles next year, and what they're doing is going to absolutely decimate GPU prices next year. Imo everything's about twice as expensive as it needs to be +- as you go down towards £200. And since you already have a 1080, upgrading now is imo a big mistake.

What's your issues with 1440p? We have the same TV, though I run mine from a Vega 64.

Soldato
I just updated both unigine benchmark threads with fresh benchies off my 2080S.

Came from a 1080.

Perf uplift in games anywhere from 30-50%

Associate
OP
There's been new legit leaks about consoles next year, and what they're doing is going to absolutely decimate GPU prices next year. Imo everything's about twice as expensive as it needs to be +- as you go down towards £200. And since you already have a 1080, upgrading now is imo a big mistake.

What's your issues with 1440p? We have the same TV, though I run mine from a Vega 64.

Fantastic Tv, so maybe a windows/nvidia issue. Had this issue on 2 rigs now, with both rtx2080 and gtx1080 on this new rig.

I cant select the HDMI advanced mode through settings>external inputs>enhance 4k hdmi signal without losing signal completely.... Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Currently it is working, but if I wake up tomorrow and there's "no signal" on tv being displayed i'll know why.

When it's not working:
I have to turn off "enhance 4k hdmi signal", I get the windows display back. If i switch back to "enhanced", I lose signal, and windows makes the lost connected sound.

Tv connects fine without enhanced, but 1440p @ 60hz is NOT selectable. Only 30hz, which is horrible.

Associate
OP

Yeah heard about his. When is this likely to affect gpu pricing though? Might just buy an xbox at this rate :D

Associate
OP
I just updated both unigine benchmark threads with fresh benchies off my 2080S.

Came from a 1080.

Perf uplift in games anywhere from 30-50%

Yeah I've noted around a 50% increase in most titles, not too shabby. And from my research a 2080super is about an extra 10% faster than a non super over a 1080... HHmmmm decisions decisions.

I noticed in your sig your EVGA RTX 2080 Super XC is @2055Mhz/18Gbs... Is that a stock overclock? With the stock cooler? What temps you get? Im wondering if those kind of clocks would be possible and sustained, esp with a Kraken x61. GPU boost 3.0 is still on rtx cards?

Soldato
Most definitely not stock!

Take a look at the superposition thread, you can see the afterburner trace level and locked, the wonders of water cooling!:)

On the stock cooler 100% fan speed temps 65+ degrees and would drop clocks to 2010Mhz on the core.

On water can benchmark at a flat 2050Mhz at 44-45 degrees.

Memory OC on air or water the same.

GPU Boost 4.0 is on RTX, worth having a read about.

AIO GPU cooling not got any experience of, but they seem to get near to full cover solution temps though not as good generally.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fantastic Tv, so maybe a windows/nvidia issue. Had this issue on 2 rigs now, with both rtx2080 and gtx1080 on this new rig.

I cant select the HDMI advanced mode through settings>external inputs>enhance 4k hdmi signal without losing signal completely.... Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Currently it is working, but if I wake up tomorrow and there's "no signal" on tv being displayed i'll know why.

When it's not working:
I have to turn off "enhance 4k hdmi signal", I get the windows display back. If i switch back to "enhanced", I lose signal, and windows makes the lost connected sound.

Tv connects fine without enhanced, but 1440p @ 60hz is NOT selectable. Only 30hz, which is horrible.

That's very weird. Are you sure your cable is 100% good? Otherwise it might be a problem with the TV itself. Have you tried 1800p btw? Does it act in the same way? Or 1080p even?

Associate
OP
Most definitely not stock!

Take a look at the superposition thread, you can see the afterburner trace level and locked, the wonders of water cooling!:)

On the stock cooler 100% fan speed temps 65+ degrees and would drop clocks to 2010Mhz on the core.

On water can benchmark at a flat 2050Mhz at 44-45 degrees.

Memory OC on air or water the same.

GPU Boost 4.0 is on RTX, worth having a read about.

AIO GPU cooling not got any experience of, but they seem to get near to full cover solution temps though not as good generally.

Well it's impossible to get my 1080 over 50c (even in 25c+ ambient China) with a Kraken x61, BUT I get the exact same OC with the air cooler @80% / 75c. Bad silicone lottery? Maybe, but it gets +170/+780Mhz.

I'm aware of the noise/power benefits, but does that +40mhz you personally gain from OCing on water actually give you any fps do you know? I'm guessing if its locked at a constant 2050Mhz then min frames/smoothness SHOULD be better.
I'm particularly interested in your answer to this because if I get a 2080 by EVGA (seen a non super for £480) I can actually use my Kraken without voiding the warranty. Which I can't/won't do on a £600 2080super with no warranty! :D Obviosuly this wouldnt bother me on the £400 used one posted above.

Obviously water can only help FPS if the card is throttling... Which I heard GamersNexus saying that a 1080/gpu boost 3.0 will throttle as low as 50c. However my Unigene Benchs (the only one I really use) didn't show any improvement outside of margin of error (each test score goes up and down each time you do it I find) with or without Kraken.

Yeah might read about gpu boost 4.0... Could be useful.

Associate
OP
That's very weird. Are you sure your cable is 100% good? Otherwise it might be a problem with the TV itself. Have you tried 1800p btw? Does it act in the same way? Or 1080p even?

I know, I can't figure it out. If I ask sony i know theyll just blame windows.

Tried 3 hdmi's, all rated as "high speed"...That's all that matters right? If not, what cable would you suggest?

Associate
OP
Do NOT upgrade, trust me. Not a good time, hold on just a little longer :)

So many people doing this... Nvidia/AMD are gonna rake in BILLIONS the day the next gpu is released... No matter the cost, and that worries me. They know they can charge what they want now, and will still wanna sell their 2080tis

Soldato
People touting that watercooling less useful on Turing. Der8eaur sp* alluded to this in a video.

The 2080Ti however most people agree does well.on water.

Tbh I've done only gaming in testing guise, I've got my system replumbed and benchmarked only.

Generally I find operation smooth with less or no throttling, the PC is whisper quiet and I extract everything the card can do.

In synthetic benchies I got 27% higher than a 1080Ti, these aren't weak cards but you pay the premium.

A 2080 esp an EVGA card at that price is a good deal, good as any for the power. Sell your current card and live in the moment.

Or you'll be waiting for photonic quantum computing comes along!

Back
Top Bottom