Big estate - petrol or diesel?

Man of Honour
The difference in depreciation will be much more so no point.

This is simply not true - infact the value of a 2 year old 520i M Sport is several thousand pounds less than a 2 year old 520d M Sport.

(Source: Retail valuation of 17/17 520d M Sport, average mileage: £22,900. Retail valuation of 17/17 520i M Sport, average mileage: £20,110)

Despite the diesel hate, the majority of people buying a car like this don't want a slow and thirsty petrol model like the 520i. There is an excess of supply now too as dealers registered a load of them thinking everyone would stop buying diesels..

mjt

mjt

Soldato
No you wouldn't, because you drive a 4 cylinder A6 yourself. Irrespective of the engine they are still better cars.
I would if I were in the OP’s position because the Skoda will be the best-specced car there.
Although without a budget it’s hard to guide the OP. Is he even buying new?

Man of Honour
I am assuming its new or nearly new as he references the bizarre new Audi model numbering which hasn't been around that long.

Realistically what does a Superb have that a 520i M Sport does not that makes it worth the trade-down? I can't see it being worth it personally - the 5 Series is simply a better car and whilst I've not experienced the new A6 yet (Probably end up with one as a rental in a few weeks), I can't imagine its not better than the Superb.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I am assuming its new or nearly new as he references the bizarre new Audi model numbering which hasn't been around that long.

Realistically what does a Superb have that a 520i M Sport does not that makes it worth the trade-down? I can't see it being worth it personally - the 5 Series is simply a better car and whilst I've not experienced the new A6 yet (Probably end up with one as a rental in a few weeks), I can't imagine its not better than the Superb.
If they're the same budget, then surely the Superb will be newer for the age and significantly more powerful? (280bhp v whatever the 520i is)

Man of Honour
Pointless additional power (Nobody considering a 520i or a 520d is interested in 280bhp) doesn't make up for what is a fundamentally inferior product.

Soldato
Passat R-Line Estate with the 190bhp diesle engine or the petrol equivalent - better car and badge than the skoda. Will do all you need it to whilst still being let out at junctions by other motorists.

Man of Honour
Find a car you like petrol or diesel - the running costs versus are pretty hit and miss plus you never know when your usage might change, etc.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Passat R-Line Estate with the 190bhp diesle engine or the petrol equivalent - better car and badge than the skoda. Will do all you need it to whilst still being let out at junctions by other motorists.
Noticably smaller inside and it's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo dull.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I lolled. To quote Boris I think I’d rather die in a ditch. Talk about a white good of a car. The same applies to the Skoda to be fair.

Soldato
Neighbour has a passat GT-e, design is quite refreshing compared to the too ubiquitous A6/skoda - each to his own.
... I hadn't realised they share the A4 chassis (so just as dynamic, or not, as an audi) they must be smaller inside than the exterior size suggests

Associate
This is simply not true - infact the value of a 2 year old 520i M Sport is several thousand pounds less than a 2 year old 520d M Sport.

(Source: Retail valuation of 17/17 520d M Sport, average mileage: £22,900. Retail valuation of 17/17 520i M Sport, average mileage: £20,110)

Despite the diesel hate, the majority of people buying a car like this don't want a slow and thirsty petrol model like the 520i. There is an excess of supply now too as dealers registered a load of them thinking everyone would stop buying diesels..

Don't think so. In fact once diesel car owners are hit with more taxes and restrictions there will be no incentive to buy a diesel and that can drive prices only down.

Soldato
OP
Hi guys, apologies for the radio silence following the OP, kids and work keep me pretty busy these days.

I didn't share a budget as this was never a recommend me a car thread, more petrol v diesel given my specific circumstances. I was always swaying towards petrol but wanted to sanity check my thinking.

Anyway, spent the morning at Marshall Audi in Oxford and this is the end result:

A6 Avant Black Edition 45 TFSI (245bhp)
Tango Red
Tech Pack
Leather
Comfort & Sound Pack (360 degree cameras, Bang & Olufsen stereo with a million speakers and subs and some LED lights which don't interest me at all but will keep the kids amused on long journeys hopefully...)

CarWow sorted me a pretty decent deal (24% off list on a 4 year deal) so now I just have an agonising 12-14 week wait for it to arrive. As an added bonus, I took my daughter along and she got to meet Santa so everyone's happy :)

image uploader

Man of Honour
One of the nice things about the bigger dealers actually are the Christmas stuff they have going on sometimes - when I bought a vehicle last Christmas the dealer threw in a £150 M&S hamper and I won the competition they had going for anyone who test drove in December which netted me another £500 worth of goodies.

Soldato
OP
They were great, they made a real fuss over my little girl and gave her a Fruit Shoot, some Oreos and booked her in to see the big man himself within 10mins of arriving. They let her climb into several cars and didn't even flinch when she stuck her sticky paws all over the many glass windows in the showroom :p.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whilst I would agree the Superbs of old were still a bit meh, the new Superb is absolutely a contender to more "prestigious" marques. It would be significantly higher spec'd than the equivalent 520 model pound for pound (more likely cheaper) and it's a fantastic place to sit and enjoy large mileage, easily comparable and doesn't feel inferior in any way. VAG diesels are still massively agricultural compared to BMWs and Merc, but that would also be true of the same engine in the Audi. You would be better with a petrol if noisy diesels annoy you.

The days (and views) of any Skoda being a bit meh are long gone and you'd have to be really in love with a brand to consider a more premium product over the very capable Superb. The actual question is, what does the premium car offer that the Superb doesn't, the answer is often nothing, and in many cases, the Superb will offer more for less.

Soldato
OP
I really like the Superb too, been pondering one for ages and spent many an hour on their configurator playing with options. However, I can afford the Audi and I got a great deal so decided to go for it.

Caporegime
I really like the Superb too, been pondering one for ages and spent many an hour on their configurator playing with options. However, I can afford the Audi and I got a great deal so decided to go for it.

Did you drive the A6, it's a 4 pot petrol in a big car isn't it? I'm not sure that would suit it.

Soldato
OP
No, but I drove the Q5 with the same engine and that was great. Then again, I'm coming from a 1.8 petrol Vauxhall Zafira with 120bhp so anything would feel good compared to that :p

Back
Top Bottom