Spec me a Hybrid.

Soldato
that is a plug in hybrid. it seems to have a very fancy system too which always get rave reviews.

so it's basically an electric car which then also has backup petrol too. which means it's carrying a lot of bulk to have 2 full systems in it.

if i was going to buy a plug in hybrid. i'd go full out and just go electric.

the toyota and lexus range are self charging hybrids. essentially they don't plug into anything. they take all your wasted energy. think braking, rolling downhill and convert to electricity then have a small electric motor assisting the engine. you can run off this engine alone at low speeds and low acceleration or gentle coasting. it has it's flaws but it's a smart design.

I'm pretty certain (but not 100%) that hyundai do a non plug in hybrid ioniq too.

Soldato
The ionic comes as a std hybrid, plug in and full BEV.

Edit: too slow!!

Fairly sure most on the roads are the STD hybrid and are the cheapest by a decent margin.

Soldato
ooi on what criteria? can/do/will (greener) customers pay a premium for a hybrid, or indeed, would customer expect to pay less, for lower running costs.
For town, and even longer journeys, as a customer, I'd want cabin space, and, especially, business customers, maybe prepared to pay for it.

I can't make much sense out of this post but the feedback I receive is purely anecdotal. Having spoken to lots of customers who lease hybrids its almost always the ioniq keepers who go on about how much they like them.

Soldato
I can't make much sense out of this post but the feedback I receive is purely anecdotal. Having spoken to lots of customers who lease hybrids its almost always the ioniq keepers who go on about how much they like them.
ok in the context of the thread I thought you ran a taxi firm

my comment was in that spirit

ooi on what criteria? can/do/will (greener) customers pay a premium for a hybrid, or indeed, would customer expect to pay less, for lower running costs.
For town, and even longer journeys, as a customer, I'd want cabin space, and, especially, business customers, maybe prepared to pay for it.
ooi out of interest.
.... basically hybrid's discussed here might make good personal cars, but, unless it's cheaper, I wouldn't want one for a taxi.

Soldato
ok in the context of the thread I thought you ran a taxi firm

my comment was in that spirit

ooi out of interest.
.... basically hybrid's discussed here might make good personal cars, but, unless it's cheaper, I wouldn't want one for a taxi.

Fair enough I've never been in an ioniq taxi so point taken.

Cheers for explaining the ooi :)

Soldato
OP
Update; so I went to view a ct200h and a Octavia vrs. I disregarded both. The ct200h because of the boot, it just isn't big enough, I didn't really mind the rest of the car.

The octavia vrs is a car that seemed to do everything well. But, I didn't gel with the seats, they were quite firm and I felt like on a longer journey they wouldn't be the most comfortable. The diesel engine felt fine but I just keep having this niggle in the back of my mind that investing in a diesel car isn't the best thing to do.

Having said that, they did have a Skoda Superb LK edition which I did take a liking to. Huge boot, lovely seats and a lot of tech. The rear leg room was impressive too. But again, the one I saw was diesel. I did not drive this car but I assume it's a nice wafter.

I am now looking at the auris estate on a 2016. I think this will be the best compromise of everything I require. Space, mpg and reliability. I can get past looks.

How is the wind noise on the motorway? That's for anyone who owns one. The Lexus didn't seem all that bad tbh.

Soldato
OP
Final update: Drove an Auris Estate, the boot was a great size but I did not like the rest of the car. It just doesn't feel like a nice place to be in. Probably because the one I saw didn't have much options.

I then did some more thinking and despite the size of the ct200hs boot, it was the only car I kept coming back too. I prefer the interior, the drive and how generally well built it feels. I made a compromise on the boot size.

So I purchased a 2016 F-Sport in Mercury Grey from Lexus Approved used.

IMG-20191210-124538-930.jpg

Soldato
Great car if you can past the boot space. Always liked the look of them and always liked Lexus as a brand would love to own one at some point.

I wanted an estate and looked at the auris but didn't even bother to test drive one in the end, sat in a few and the interior was awful and a hybrid was around £5k more over my 1.8 petrol estate civic, I don't do £5k worth of miles to be making that money back any time soon

Soldato
OP
I prefer the hatch tbh, just helps with city parking. It's probably the first car I've had which I truly liked. I'm very happy with my choice, and that's a first because I usually aren't.

Caporegime
Final update: Drove an Auris Estate, the boot was a great size but I did not like the rest of the car. It just doesn't feel like a nice place to be in. Probably because the one I saw didn't have much options.

I then did some more thinking and despite the size of the ct200hs boot, it was the only car I kept coming back too. I prefer the interior, the drive and how generally well built it feels. I made a compromise on the boot size.

So I purchased a 2016 F-Sport in Mercury Grey from Lexus Approved used.

IMG-20191210-124538-930.jpg

I have an F Sport too and albeit they are pretty much fully loaded the sports suspension and large alloys make the ride quality horrific.

I in hindsight would have opted for one of the other premium trim levels. If you can I'd look at swapping it for a much more comfortable model in terms of ride.

I'm going to try sticking bigger tyres on if they will fit.

Soldato
"Sporty" suspension in a non-sporty car is silly. I hate it when they do that.

If it was a hot hatch it might make sense, but it's not even a warm one.

Caporegime
"Sporty" suspension in a non-sporty car is silly. I hate it when they do that.

If it was a hot hatch it might make sense, but it's not even a warm one.

I don't even like the sports suspension in my 0-60 in less than 5 seconds car tbh.

Albeit if the roads were smooth it would be fine but you hit at least 3-4 potholes which leave you reeling on most trips which is making me desire a 4 wheel drive SUV. And people wonder why people use them on the school run. It's because they eat up the pot holes.

Soldato
Even many of the SUVs have a bad ride though, which makes them even more ridiculous.

People don't like bodyroll, but the center of gravity is high so they have to use firm suspension to keep it level. But they also want fashionable large wheels, so they fit those. Both things together make an uncomfortable ride.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have an F Sport too and albeit they are pretty much fully loaded the sports suspension and large alloys make the ride quality horrific.

I in hindsight would have opted for one of the other premium trim levels. If you can I'd look at swapping it for a much more comfortable model in terms of ride.

I'm going to try sticking bigger tyres on if they will fit.

In all honesty I haven't really noticed the ride to be that harsh. It is somewhat firm but nothing like what I'd imagined from the reviews. Doesn't feel much harsher than what my E90 on 19" and msport suspension felt like.

Sadly, I have a small issue with the car where the rain sensor for the auto function doesn't seem to be working. Having finally heard back from the dealer about a spare key which they promised to notify me about last week but didn't, I mentioned this. Sales guy I dealt with said in his words "are hit and miss" depending on the rain. Urm, sorry but they're really not. So they'll have a look into that when they code the key to my car.

I am not confident in this dealer tbh, felt like they've dragged their feet once they got my money but I have the relevant channels there informed about my issue should I need to escalate a complaint.

I would really dislike to return this car as I really do like it.

Caporegime
In all honesty I haven't really noticed the ride to be that harsh. It is somewhat firm but nothing like what I'd imagined from the reviews. Doesn't feel much harsher than what my E90 on 19" and msport suspension felt like.

Sadly, I have a small issue with the car where the rain sensor for the auto function doesn't seem to be working. Having finally heard back from the dealer about a spare key which they promised to notify me about last week but didn't, I mentioned this. Sales guy I dealt with said in his words "are hit and miss" depending on the rain. Urm, sorry but they're really not. So they'll have a look into that when they code the key to my car.

I am not confident in this dealer tbh, felt like they've dragged their feet once they got my money but I have the relevant channels there informed about my issue should I need to escalate a complaint.

I would really dislike to return this car as I really do like it.

There is a sensitivity sensor for the rain sensor on the stalk I believe.

I would say the sensor is a bit too sensitive it wipes when there is no rain so you stick it on low then you have to whack it on high when it gets really heavy (the sensitivity that is).

Soldato
OP
There is a sensitivity sensor for the rain sensor on the stalk I believe.

I would say the sensor is a bit too sensitive it wipes when there is no rain so you stick it on low then you have to whack it on high when it gets really heavy (the sensitivity that is).

I will double check but I am sure there should be a gel piece between the sensor and windscreen itself. Mine does not have this which I think may be the issue.

Can you confirm if your windscreen says lexus in the bottom right corner?

Back
Top Bottom