Car Rental damage claim 7 months later

JC

JC

Soldato
We hired a vehicle in Canada back in May this year with one of the usual big hire firms. Roll forwards 7 months and the hire firm's claims department have contacted me to pursue a figure, the breakdown includes: cost of the part, labour, administration, loss of use.

The paperwork just sent to me indicates that they only undertook the repair in mid October.
- In general I'm unclear of their grounds to pursue after what seems a ridiculous amount of time
- Specifically I take issue with any administration fee and loss of use

For context:
  • The damage in question is a stone chip/crack on a front facing fog light
  • As much as I'd like to dispute my fault, I don't dispute the actual damage, and this was noted and signed on the return paperwork back in May
  • The rental agreement did not include collision/loss damage waiver, however I took out independent insurance cover online with one of the main options online
  • I did proactively contact the insurance company of this (and a separate claim for a flat tyre), and have something in writing that instructs me to file a separate claim later in the event I was charged
My options seem to be:
a) Pay the hire company in full, taking on the cost myself, and then contact the online insurer and hope they accept a claim after so much time (to make a claim they need a receipt showing the payment)

b) Push back on the hire company for some/all of this charge - any actual basis for this?

c) Try and get the hire company to contact the insurer directly - but thats could get messy as it doesn't really fit either of their 'process'

Any ideas?

Soldato
Don't the hire company have a credit card security imprint from which they could charge the monies ?

ring the online insurer to confirm how they want you to proceed, can't see a major hire company would be doing anything outside the law/their T&C's.

maybe hire company just settle up this kind of damage at end of their ownership for vehicles, like those with PCP returns might do

Soldato
You have insurance for a reason but I’d give them a ring just to check they will accept the claim Which they should. I certainly wouldn’t waste time arguing over the amount/delay if the insurance is covering it, life is short.

Soldato
Did they not inspect it when you returned it? I'd tell them to jog on.
Agree with that. Regardless of what was noted when returning the vehicle, after this amount of time and from a stone chip out of their control this seems ridiculous. There's a chance someone else might have damaged it too and they haven't paid up and now trying to charge it to another customer.
Insurance will probably cover it but this seems scammy.

Back
Top Bottom