Borked motherboard ? B450 Tomahawk / 3600 build

Soldato
I remember a very similar fault way way back in the 90s on a i486 PC with 32 MB RAM. The PC would crash quickly if I ran Windows NT or after a while in OS/2. (Or maybe vice versa.) The fault turned out to be a single bent pin on the CPU, and the speed of the crashing was down to the way the different OSs mapped RAM. The PC was crashing when that pin was used in a particular way.

Soldato
OP
What's the Bsod error code your getting and it it always the same?

Ha ! I wish it was consistent. There's been a dozen or so different ones, here's a selection ....

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

The first is the most common. when I google them, its always the usual make sure your drivers are up to date, run memtest, uninstall new drivers etc advice. All of which are not relevant or I've done already.

Rather than Memtest, try Prime95.

Did that a month ago. Didn't show any memory issues :(

Could try turning off core performance boost in bios so the CPU just sits at 3600mhz to see if it still crashes.

Just tried that - it made things a lot worse. Would no longer boot to Windows claiming file checksums were wrong and was trying to force me to go through media repair. Ignored that pile of BS, power-cycled and change the setting back before stuffing it up further !

I've also double-checked the CPU was mounted correctly and that the thermal paste spread is fine - all looks good. These modern designs make it easier to avoid the old bent pins problem.

Associate
did you use antistatic protection during the build? the amount of intermittent agro it can cause you if you dont is just soul-destroying.

surface to isolate, antistatic wrist band that's grounded etc

Soldato
OP
did you use antistatic protection during the build? the amount of intermittent agro it can cause you if you dont is just soul-destroying.

surface to isolate, antistatic wrist band that's grounded etc

Usual precautions. Grounded myself on metal part of radiator, only handled components by the edges etc. I've been building PC's since the early 1990's and never suffered static damage. Whilst it can happen, I think its a lot rarer than people make out.

Its looking like a CPU fault. Today (despite the best efforts of the M56 closure at Runcorn) I've been to OC and bought a new memory kit to try. Corsair Vengeance LPX from the QVL list. From initial testing I'm getting the same problems in that I can boot to windows but then it craps out with a random BSOD before I can really do anything useful, like get all the updates caught up.

Currently double-checking that memtest doesn't show anything wrong with the new kit.

Soldato
OP
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Is certainly a ram issue,have you tried with just one ram stick installed? Test each ram stick one at a time in the board

Yes, several times both with the old memory kit and the new one I collected from OC yesterday. That is just one of many BSOD codes.

memtest ran clean twice with the new kit as well: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...zen-tuned-ddr4-memory-dual-kit-my-4bz-cs.html for reference.

I'm about to raise an RMA for the CPU. Its the only thing left.

Back
Top Bottom