The Tesla Thread

Soldato
I see a lot of people recommending this. Why? I like to know how many miles I can do, not what percentage I have. Am I missing something?

Because that leads you to think you can do as many miles as it has listed. In reality, the number of miles can vary widely based on outside temperature, wind, rain, gradient of your drive, speed, etc.

Soldato
Because that leads you to think you can do as many miles as it has listed. In reality, the number of miles can vary widely based on outside temperature, wind, rain, gradient of your drive, speed, etc.

I see a lot of people recommending this. Why? I like to know how many miles I can do, not what percentage I have. Am I missing something?

As above - does you phone tell you have many hours/minutes battery is left? No it's percentage.

Takes away the "unrealistic" value of miles left. It'll say 200 miles and in reality this time of year it's 160 or less. So ultimately a pointless figure. Percentage is way more sensible (at least I think so)

Soldato
As above - does you phone tell you have many hours/minutes battery is left? No it's percentage.

Takes away the "unrealistic" value of miles left. It'll say 200 miles and in reality this time of year it's 160 or less. So ultimately a pointless figure. Percentage is way more sensible (at least I think so)

I just use the graph for range. It's accurate. The number of miles just gives me a rough figure. Thought there might be more I was missing. Cheers.

Soldato
I tend to use that figure for estimating charging because as mentioned it's calculated from current SOC when set to range from a constant that doesn't change, well unless Tesla feel like fudging it in an update. So it's usually on the high side especially in adverse conditions. I know the start % and end percent for typical journeys so set my daily charging limit based on that. That also helps battery longevity.

The energy consumption screen however takes into account your recent consumption average and so is constantly adjusting a projected range. With a trip entered you then also get a % prediction based on the recent consumption plus some topographical adjustments. You can see that in the trip screen which is %. So it does help to get used to estimating via a percentage.

Watch this vid for more info.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally Superchargers outside Glasgow have gone live!! Been getting built for about 12 months but was held up for some reason. Last 3 days - all done and dusted.

I believe the are 12 there for anyone passing

Soldato
Yeah the estimate atm is February but I'll just keep turning them away until April if it is before then. Buying through business so don't want it until the BIK changes.

be careful of turning down delivery dates....They potentially then allocate your car to someone else, and you go to the back of the "queue" again. Could then be months before getting allocated again.

Even with the BIK @ 16% - you'll only suffer a couple of months before the changes in April - I would just take it and suck it up for a few months. I took mine in September so "suffering" for 7 months or so at the higher BIK but massively offset by the 1st year allowance write off for Corporation tax, and also having the car which makes you soon forget about the BIK!

Soldato
What are people's thoughts about leasing (PCH) vs buying outright?

I've been ringing around for different lease quotes on a M3P based on a 12+23 period, 15k p/a miles. Best I've got works out as a TCO of £22,205 without FSD, £28,179.55 with (£5,974.50 difference, which basically means they think it adds no residual value, but also isn't a great deal more than the option cost). Lease quotes have gone up considerably in recent months

By my math that would mean the projected depreciation would be around 40%/46% (with FSD) after 2 years, with the car being worth just under £33k.

Can people see Model 3 values tracking at ~£33k after 2 years and 30k miles? Intuitively it feels like it ought to be worth more..

But.. unlike most other cars, I can easily imagine a current Model 3 being eclipsed in some fashion within 2 years. Tesla might actually release that 100kWh/Ludicrous version, or they might significantly upgrade the camera or processing hardware that ends up not being retrofittable, and that would mean the current cars eat a depreciation hit overnight. Prospective Tesla customers are (I feel) more likely to be put off by older, "obsolete" hardware, vs someone who is buying a pre-facelift version of a random ICE car.

It almost seems prudent to treat Tesla's attitude to car development like buying an Apple device: a new iPhone or MacBook Pro in a year or so is as certain as the sun rising each morning. Equally I can't see Tesla just leaving the Model 3 as is for several years...

I'm also somewhat concerned about 0% BIK - if it happens. Whilst I wouldn't be using that myself, it would mean that demand for Model 3s would go up considerably I'd assume. That would then mean a deluge of 2-3 year old Model 3s returning to the market. Saturation of the market could easily have an impact, and that's even before thinking about how difficult it is to sell a ~£35k+ car privately.

Interested to hear thoughts... thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom