Win10 or Win7 for new PC?

Soldato
For windows 10 there seems to be a lot of "All you have to do is..."

I liked 7 better where the OS generally left you alone and "all you had to do" was turn your computer on.

I actually loved DOS 6.22 more then Windows back then, using your brain to rearrange IRQs, memory management to get games to work, lol fun back in those days, nowadays it's all too easy even with Win10 or Linux, times have really changed :).

Soldato
I really don't understand why MS don't embrace the different parts of the market - there are plenty of people who would pay to have a professional edition of 10 for instance that was more like 7 in terms of user control and UI approach.

I guess it would go against their One Size Fits All approach. Presumably the reason icons etc are so ugly is they consume little resources so look the same on all devices even those with next to no gfx capabilities.

Soldato
I really don't understand why MS don't embrace the different parts of the market - there are plenty of people who would pay to have a professional edition of 10 for instance that was more like 7 in terms of user control and UI approach.

It's pretty obvious why it's done from a business perspective. It's a lot harder to milk Windows 7 users as they can choose not to install your bloatware, rather than having it forced. Windows 10 solves that problem by making it baked in and in that it actively seeks to circumnavigate any attempts to remove it.

Associate
I'm still on Windows 7 and with the support about to stop I am upgrading to 10.

I'm dreading it though. I have a lot of software installed on my PC so ideally I want to do an upgrade rather than a clean install, but I don't know whether that is going to create issues with stuff no longer working after the upgrade.

Also, I'm a bit out of touch and I'm not sure whether I can just mount the Win10 ISO (which I already have) and start the setup, or when it reboots during the setup it's going to expect it to be on some bootable media (DVD/USB).

PS: And I kind of resent all this because my installation of Windows 7 is both ancient and still functioning fantastically well. Best OS Microsoft ever made.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just download the media to a USB memory stick from that Microsoft webpage that everyone links to and I can't find just now it'll set everything up for you direct from that page and onto the stick, reboot and away you go. Its got the latest version with all the updates so no need to spend hours in Windows Updates afterwards or find a slipstream CD. Clean install is the recommended way to go.

Be prepared for the awful new look and having to spend hours (or in my case the last two weeks) customising everything to suit and getting your fave software up and running (look, configuration, runtime libraries, missing drivers, etc etc the list is endless)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom