Neighbours and noise

Soldato
Interesting to hear other stories too. The landlady did talk to me in the summer and introduced herself and said if they were to noisy to let her know. But as the money is coming in (well most from the taxpayer) I doubt she would care now but I guess a word might not hurt , but at best she wouldn't renew the lease I'm guessing.

Its not as simple as that, getting tenants out who dont want to leave cant be a very difficult, drawn out and expensive process.. This is a good thing in many circumstances (protects tenants against dodgy landlords) but has its flipside.
As a landlord if we had a problem tenant that knows the law and decided to play you it would take approx 9 months to get them out. Thats 9 months in which they will usually stop paying rent, will potentially damage the property and the landlord is still liable to repair and maintain it!! Fortunately most tenants are NOT like that, but some are..
Definately have a gentle chat with the LL if you can, but understand that there is usually not a lot they can do.

Soldato
OP
Its not as simple as that, getting tenants out who dont want to leave cant be a very difficult, drawn out and expensive process.. This is a good thing in many circumstances (protects tenants against dodgy landlords) but has its flipside.
As a landlord if we had a problem tenant that knows the law and decided to play you it would take approx 9 months to get them out. Thats 9 months in which they will usually stop paying rent, will potentially damage the property and the landlord is still liable to repair and maintain it!! Fortunately most tenants are NOT like that, but some are..
Definately have a gentle chat with the LL if you can, but understand that there is usually not a lot they can do.

Understand your point. I was thinking more after the initial one year was up the LL can give two months notice to reclaim the property to rent out again or sale ?
I know the estate agents company also but then again I guess they are in the same boat as they dont care if the money is coming in.
How you can rent your house out to people like this I have no idea, I'm guessing it's greed .

Caporegime
Saved up like mad/put the overtime in and bought a 3 bed semi 3 years ago and have done it up with the previous owner a heavy smoker and the house a mess.
After moving in found the attached house next door was rented from the lady that lived there with her son.
Got on great with her , any party's or noise we used to tell eachother , she was the ideal neighbour until she moved out some 6 months ago.
So In place we have what I can only describe as ferrel children and a screaming mother that works a few hours a day.

Not the sort of person that would change her behaviour, she literally shouts at them all day.comes through everywall it's that loud,its ruined my house to be honest and I hate coming home. She shouts herself and the 10year old kid bangs and slams doors and has a filthy mouth, I can only describe these people as chavs. It's like they are living in a detached house and don't give one **** about me or anyone else.

On the plus side they sleep at night and only sometimes play loud music but my god the noise in the day and up to 11/12pm sometimes later just reverberates around my house. Is this normal to live next to?

I don't see why I should move house because of these people.
Calling the council will mean I have to document it if I sell.
Could talk to the landlady/letting agents?

Any similar story's ? I know moving is the best option but as said above why should I be forced out.

Cheers.

Pretty much why detached houses are the only way to go.

But they also come with neighbour issues. Aggressive dogs. Neighbours damaging property and not fixing it. Inconsiderate parking, etc, etc.

So it's best to buy a house on it's own with the nearest neighbour at least 200 yards away.

Soldato
Understand your point. I was thinking more after the initial one year was up the LL can give two months notice to reclaim the property to rent out again or sale ?

Even then, its not that simple if the tenant decides they dont want to move.

How you can rent your house out to people like this I have no idea, I'm guessing it's greed .

The landlord may be oblivious to what is going on, they will probably only see it on the quarterly inspection, when everything has been cleaned and tenants are on best behaviour.

Soldato
OP
So after the section 21 and two months notice , say the landlord wants to sell the house the tennants just stick around ? I can't believe that would hold up well in a court.

Soldato
Under the current rules no it wouldn’t, but it takes time to get a court date, usually months. It also takes a lot of money to go through the process. The county court will order the tenants to leave but they will have a certain amount of time to do this. If the tenants still won’t leave you have to escalate it to the high court to get the bailiffs in who have authority to break in and reposes the property.

If you watch ‘if you can’t pay then we’ll take it away’ on C5 you’ll see the process in action.

Most of the time once you start formal proceedings the person stops paying so you could be months without the rental income. You’d have to take additional civil action to try and recover any losses (further costs). You’d be lucky to see a penny, the person is renting so it’s not likely to have significant assets you could leverage so most don’t bother and just write it off.

Soldato
I’ve been in this situation, it drove the wife and I mad! The neighbours were a young couple who loved rave music (it was the 90s) but also friends with the local gangsters. We had an ex council house next to a council house, when we first moved in it was occupied by a lovely little old lady but sadly little old ladies don’t last forever! We did everything we could through the council etc. But nothing worked, it was a complete nightmare :(

Eventually for our own sanity we gave up and moved, and that is my advice to you... Move

Associate
That was my main concern looking for a house being stuck in a semi or terraced with noisy neighbours, so I ruled them out in favour of a detached. And even now I've got a chavvy single mum family renting opposite me who think nothing of shouting obscenities when getting the kids ready for the school run in the morning and yet nobody else on the street behaves that way. So I think it's endemic with scummy benefit renters they all fit a similar profile, loud, fat, brash, tattoos, multiple kids from multiple fathers, pet dog(s) yet they're living off benefits, no regard for anyone but themselves because they've got an overwhelming sense of entitlement and think the world owes them something, don't value what they've got or where they're living because they've never had to work for it.

I know this isn't particularly helpful to your situation, but not knowing the property market in your area and how expensive it is to find a detached house, could you consider a detached house that needs work doing to it to get it a bit cheaper?
This.
Unless you're a stay at home druggie, playing Xbox and necking cider/Redbull, or a slug brown, 3 inches long nails, fake tan, eyelashes extended and sex doll lips, you're wrong, and must take all the abuse from them.

Soldato
OP
I moved in the end, only really option I had so you guys on here were right.
In a detached now and the quality of life is so much better not hearing the chav scum smashing and swearing into the early hours.
It was truly horrific.

Back
Top Bottom