**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Is there a site that lets you search by tyre THEN size not the other way around? My new 4C has new PS4S on the rear, but the fronts are still P-Zero ARR. Looks like you can't get PS4S in the factory size (205/40/18) but I wonder how close I can get, or whether to just get normal PS4 on the front.

Associate
After having placed my order with kwik fit for 2 Goodyear assymetric 5s, they phoned this morning to say they've cancelled the order due to lack of stock. :mad:

Nobody else stocks them in the size I need so was forced to go for assymetric 3s with Halfords for £20 more as well... Just my luck!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
After having placed my order with kwik fit for 2 Goodyear assymetric 5s, they phoned this morning to say they've cancelled the order due to lack of stock. :mad:

Nobody else stocks them in the size I need so was forced to go for assymetric 3s with Halfords for £20 more as well... Just my luck!
Go for Michelin PS4 or PS4S instead? Assy 3s are ancient now.

Caporegime
I have Goodyear Eagle F1's on my A6, PS4's on my A3, PS3's on my Astra turbo, so yeah I have the decent tyres where it counts! The toyos are for another Astra I have, which is for taking the dog out, tip runs and I use it in winter to keep my nicer cars getting trashed. The Toyos will do perfectly fine for the use that car gets :)

I covered 40k miles on T1R's and never ended up in a ditch, or even close to it ;) They're not good in the wet but I never had a slide with them, just drive to the conditions. If you want an amazing tyre in wet and dry you spend the money.

Glad you liked the TR1's more though. I'm not too worried about them not lasting forever, the car they're going on will only be doing around 5k a year at best.

T1R's were a nice tyre on my MX5, bit playful in the wet, but fine. On the E30 though they were unpredictable and dangerous in the wet. Back swung out at low speed a few times when it really shouldn't have. It's got PremiumContact2's on it at the moment which are much better in the wet.

Associate
Go for Michelin PS4 or PS4S instead? Assy 3s are ancient now.
Already placed the order. For the price the assy 3s seem to be the best in the segment. They are £150 each versus £200 for the PS4. Couldn't warrant the difference for what seems to be a similar performance tyre.

Associate
Any recommendations for a MK3 Focus ST? Petrol of course...not the dirty diesel. Ran eagles on a lot of my older Honda's and found them good but thinking I should give something else a bash.

Eagle F1AS5
Michelin PS4
Premium Contact 6

Associate
Any recommendations for a MK3 Focus ST? Petrol of course...not the dirty diesel. Ran eagles on a lot of my older Honda's and found them good but thinking I should give something else a bash.

Eagle F1AS5
Michelin PS4
Premium Contact 6

I would go for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport. Superior to all the above in terms of outright performance.

Soldato
Is there a site that lets you search by tyre THEN size not the other way around?
www.camskill.co.uk

Eagle F1AS5
Michelin PS4
Premium Contact 6
All three are good, so if priced around the same then F1AS5 > PC6 > PS4

Why would you even bother? Do it properly and go with Conti, Michelin or Goodyear.
Technically speaking the Rainsports are developed by Continental, Uniroyal was a company that Conti bought/absorbed in order to gain their IP (Uni used to be arguably the best for wet weather performance).

It's run as something of a lower tier sub brand these days however if he's specifically looking for cheaper UHP tyres instead of premium brands then it's usually a safe bet for the money. Historically speaking RS usually performed on par with a premium UHP in the wet but not as well in the dry so always decent for the money (obviously though if money isn't a factor things are different, but money is usually a factor for most people).

Soldato
It's a fairly obvious implication isn't it otherwise why ask?
I think you've jumped to the conclusion that because he's asking about RS5, and already has RS3 rear/PS4 front that he's planning to change the front tyres (I guess to get RS all round albeit mismatched generations) when maybe he's actually considering changing the rear tyres (to replace worn rears with the newer revision of what's currently on there).

I could be wrong, but as those are the two most plausible explanations I can think of.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't want to change either at this moment. If I did it would be new PS4s on the rear.

I literally just wanted to know if anyone knew how the newer versions compared.

In regards to my poop comment, I'm finding there is a lack of grip from my front PS4s... But that may just be the fact I'm trying to put 300+ through the front wheels.

Back
Top Bottom