Ballistix Sport LT Overclocking

Soldato
I forgot about my RAM errors when testing as I've been away with work for a number of weeks. I've been playing the new Modern Warfare for hours now with no errors so far. I think i'll just keep cracking on.

Caporegime
I updated my wife's MSI B450 Carbon Pro AC yesterday to the latest BIOS (with AGESA 1.0.0.4B) and thought I'd take the opportunity to try overclocking her SR Ballistix LTs again. Nope. Under no circumstances are they stable at 3200 MT/s (XMP is 3000 MT/s). I've tried using the XMP settings, Thaiphoon/Ryzen DRAM Calculator settings, settings copied from my machine, manually loosening timings, upping CLDO_VDDP and CLDO_VDDG, upping DRAM voltage to 1.43 V, nothing works. Most of the time it doesn't even boot but on the rare occasion I get to Windows it crashes within 1 second of starting a CPU test in OCCT.

Very odd, considering my DR kit can reach 3600 MT/s. I wonder if it's the old memory hole problem, in which case I might try just going for 3533 or 3600 MT/s instead.

the latest BIOS on my MSI B350 killed all memory overclocking. checked reddit and everyone had same issue. they removed the previous bios from support site too as it was a beta. so i had to go through support to get it.

i would leave latest bios's well alone and stick with one that works.

look for threads on reddit specific to your motherboard.

or buy the latest motherboard x570.

i'm happy leaving the bios well alone. i'm running the ram at stock. couldn't care less about overclocking. i put it on 1t an dleft everything else stock xmp.

Soldato
the latest BIOS on my MSI B350 killed all memory overclocking. checked reddit and everyone had same issue. they removed the previous bios from support site too as it was a beta. so i had to go through support to get it.

i would leave latest bios's well alone and stick with one that works.

look for threads on reddit specific to your motherboard.

or buy the latest motherboard x570.

i'm happy leaving the bios well alone. i'm running the ram at stock. couldn't care less about overclocking. i put it on 1t an dleft everything else stock xmp.
I had no luck overclocking the RAM with the previous 1.0.0.3ABBA BIOS either so sticking with that wouldn't have helped.

Caporegime
Aside from increasing the dram voltage to 1.36 and setting it to 1800mhz, where is a good starting point for the timings (I have no experience in this whatsoever)?

Associate
Hi everyone. Can somebody direct me on what I'm doing wrong? My setup is Ryzen 2700X and ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING.
I am trying to overclock 2x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 3200Mhz CL16 set. With 1.45v vDIMM, 1.1v vSOC, ProcODT 53.3 Ohm and rest auto timings (CL21+...) I manage to max out on 3000Mhz. Making voltages higher does not help. Setting ProcODT lower makes system unable to boot at all.

Afterwards I used settings from Ryzen DRAM Calculator 1.6.2 safe profile:
https://prnt.sc/qhmupn
apart ProcODT, which I set to 53.3, since 60 Ohm makes ram clock back up one step. System is able to boot and run memtest stable for several minutes with 3000MHz.

With Fast profile:
https://prnt.sc/qhmwlg
and ProcODT 53.3 Ohm it seems stable on 2933MHz.

But I am totally unable to pass 3000MHz barrier. I saw hare people were able to clock 3400MHz on 2400G and that should be much more difficult then 2700x. :/

Last edited:
Associate
Just wanted to say this thread thread has been a wealth of fantastic information. With that said, I picked up a 32gb kit (2x16) of the 3200 recently. The past few days I've been fiddling with getting a stable 3733 OC

I am encountering an odd behavior though, when I set the DRAM voltage at 1.41v or higher I get a single memtest error within the first 10-15 minutes. However if I run 1.39V or 1.4V I run stable at 3733 with no errors with 9 hours of memtest. Any idea why this would be happening? Not that I'm necessarily complaining, just seems weird to me.

My board does seem to be giving additional voltage to the DRAM vs my BIOS setting, so if I set at 1.39 it's really running at around 1.4.

Associate
I've been looking at OCing my kit, which is 16gb (2x 8gb) 3000MHz. It's supposed to be CL15, I enabled XMP, but it seems to keep defaulting to CL16. If I manually set it to 15-16-16-35 like the XMP profile, windows just bombs out at random times with mem errors :/

I'm stuck at 3200mhz CL16, even 3266mhz causes windows to have memory issues. :(

Associate
I've recently built my first Ryzen PC after being a long time AMD FX-8350 user, I then moved to an Intel i7-4790K and now to a Ryzen 3700X and I have to say so far I am impressed.

I recently picked up a 3200CL16 32Gb kit of this Ballistix Sport LT RAM, ran the Ryzen DRAM Calculator and popped the settings into the bios and without doing any more than that I am running it stable at 3600CL16, I have to say I'm impressed with the value that this kit offers.

One thing I was wondering though, I know that 3200CL14 and 3600CL16 are pretty much identical in terms of performance, I've ran few tests using both settings and can't really pick an outright winner in terms or performance they are pretty much neck and neck, I was thinking of staying with the 3600CL16 settings but would there be any reason to go the 3200CL14 route instead..?

Back
Top Bottom