What games are you playing over Xmas?

Associate
I know I am late to party, but I am trying to play the Witcher 3. I am honestly struggling to see what the fuss is about right now. Yes, it's very pretty and I have the PC to max it out, but the combat is awful and I just find the controls clunky. I am however trying as I am told it has a stellar story.
I started it a few months ago and for the first few hours thought exactly the same. Then it all changed, I'm 150 hours in and enjoying the best game I've played in years.
Stick with it.

Associate
About to finish Metro Exodus (courtesy of MS Game Pass), have RDR2 ready to play but heading away over Christmas so want something I can maybe complete over a few hours to play. Will try either Rage 2 or perhaps give the DLC for Metro Exodus a go.

Soldato
Weirdly, sea of thieves. Its quite a social game and it has some intense moments to break it up.

A friend and I were fighting another player ship for ages while a giant demon shark took bites out of both ships. Immediately upon vanquishing the enemy player ship, suddenly a large ghost ship crewed by skeletons burst from the depths and a kraken spawned while a storm enveloped our ship (and the demon shark was still there).

So that and world of warships when nobody is online. Its a very nautical Xmas for me this year.

Associate
I am seeing family Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, then back to work on Boxing Day, so won't have loads of gaming time over the holiday.

I expect that I will get some Destiny 2, Warframe and Euro Truck Simulator in. Want to try out GTFO with mates as well.

Caporegime
I’ve decided to go back in time. PS3 is out of its box, plugged in and downloading Resistance 2. It’s gonna be great firing the Bullseye again.

PC is getting a rest.

Soldato
I thought it would be RDR2 but then i realised after 10 hours what a steaming pile of turd it is. No questioning the technical side of it, the way it looks, the lighting are second to none.

The actual game play (which ya know for a game is important) is dire though and about as eventful as watching paint dry. Ride your horse here, do some pointless tedious mission, ride back, rinse repeat. In 10 hours about 7 hours are riding your horse, 2 hours cut scenes, 30 mins doing something pointless and about 30 mins of actual action.

So now i'm gonna fire Borderlands 3 up and probably jump on COD from time to time.

Man of Honour
I thought it would be RDR2 but then i realised after 10 hours what a steaming pile of turd it is. No questioning the technical side of it, the way it looks, the lighting are second to none.

The actual game play (which ya know for a game is important) is dire though and about as eventful as watching paint dry. Ride your horse here, do some pointless tedious mission, ride back, rinse repeat. In 10 hours about 7 hours are riding your horse, 2 hours cut scenes, 30 mins doing something pointless and about 30 mins of actual action.

So now i'm gonna fire Borderlands 3 up and probably jump on COD from time to time.

To be fair, you're quite right, RDR2 and Borderlands3/COD are about as far the opposite ends of the spectrum as you can get. One end is immersion and slow pace and very heavily roleplay, the other two are speedy, blasty shoot'em ups.

Soldato
Insurgency Sandstorm but I'll be carrying the PC downstairs to see what HDR gaming looks like on the new LG 55"OLED now it supports g-sync. Heard BF5, Star Wars Battlefront 2, Anthem, Metro Exodus and MotoGP 2018 look amazing in HDR.

Soldato
Just finished Hellblade Senua's sacrifice, the puzzles were a little annoying but other than that I found it very interesting and unique experience.

Will probably start Phoenix point next.

Man of Honour
Did you start playing Witcher 3 after seeing the show?
I had that urge after seeing the show! :D

Lol, I also had the urge to replay Witcher 3 after watching the show, downloaded it again yesterday and started it up. All was as I remember it, decent graphics, great story, terrific characters. After a couple of hours of playing though, my problem became clear. Since W3, I have become spoiled by the controls on AC:Origins, AC:Odyssey and RDR2, try as I might I just couldnt deal with the controls in W3 anymore, they felt sluggish, overly weighty and too janky (for want of a better word) in comparison to the 3 aforementioned games. I resolved to leave Witcher 3 in its alcove of memories in my mind and not taint it further.

Man of Honour
Lol, I also had the urge to replay Witcher 3 after watching the show, downloaded it again yesterday and started it up. All was as I remember it, decent graphics, great story, terrific characters. After a couple of hours of playing though, my problem became clear. Since W3, I have become spoiled by the controls on AC:Origins, AC:Odyssey and RDR2, try as I might I just couldnt deal with the controls in W3 anymore, they felt sluggish, overly weighty and too janky (for want of a better word) in comparison to the 3 aforementioned games. I resolved to leave Witcher 3 in its alcove of memories in my mind and not taint it further.

I’m in a similar position. Graphically it still holds its own. The controls are terrible though.

Back
Top Bottom