Greta Thunberg

Caporegime
Is that not allowed to be part of the reason then? Lowering your local enviroments emmissions?

At the expense of increasing it in another local area due to manufacturing emissions which as already stated can account for around 30% of a cars total emissions which can take 5-10 years to recoup on a good day. A brand new EV car doesn't just magically appear from out of nothing.

Soldato
^^ aye, we've all seen dirty exhaust fumes, just saying the pics look photoshopped, especially the second one.

Not been to India and seen all the 1950s vintage buses, trucks and coaches still in use then?

Think ancient, horribly inefficient Diesel engines being poorly maintained for 60 years and run on fuel which is barely better than bunker oil.

Soldato
^^ Chicken and egg tho
At the expense of increasing it in another local area due to manufacturing emissions which as already stated can account for around 30% of a cars total emissions which can take 5-10 years to recoup on a good day. A brand new EV car doesn't just magically appear from out of nothing.

^^ Chicken and egg tho isnt it? That depends very much on where the energy for manufacture comes from in the first place? Even china have massively reduced its coal use for example.

Not been to India and seen all the 1950s vintage buses, trucks and coaches still in use then?

Think ancient, horribly inefficient Diesel engines being poorly maintained for 60 years and run on fuel which is barely better than bunker oil.

Erm, sorry I don't quite follow you? do the photos look like indian 1950's vintage vehicle fumes? All I'm saying is that the photos look photoshopped, and that yes we have all seen dirty exhaust fumes?

Permabanned
Diesel crisis deepens as western Europe sends hundreds of thousands of banned cars to Poland
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...r-pollution-dieselgate-motoring-a8591641.html

"
'Problems caused by a mass manipulation of emission tests by carmakers must be fixed, not brushed under the carpet'

Poland is the main car market in Central and Eastern Europe.
Many of the diesel cars imported to the country emit 1000mg of nitrogen oxide (NOx) per km - 12.5 times the current European Union's limit of six.

He added: “This is another example of the government failing to protect the people of this country from breathing dirty air.”

Norway has pledged to ban petrol and diesel vehicles by 2025, and India by 2030. Even the Scottish government has said it will outdo the UK by phasing them out by 2032."

Man of Honour
There is the possibility he never meant ban all c02 emmisions there are... You would have to be a bit of a fool to think that, or super ignorant. Maybe you could treat folk as if they have a level of intelligence over a 5 year old and not take exactly what they so anally just so you can go off on a super intelligent rant?

But who can tell with folk nowadays :p

With people devoted to a cause, you can never tell. I tend to take people at their word. "super ignorant" is far from rare. If someone believes in something enough, they don't need to know anything about it.

Besides, he then moved the goalposts again after that.

Soldato
EVs are very cheap. You pay once to buy it and then you can charge it for free.
While your diesel car needs to be refilled every time for loads of $$$$.

There are three options to run your EV:
1. Use free charging places wherever and whenever possible;
2. Just plug it and charge it using your ordinary house 230V plug;
3. Invest in some type of autonomous energy production system in your house (like solar panels installation), pay once and then use it forever for free.

Tell me, how does one go about charging an EV when you live in a mid-terraced house with on-street parking and no guarantee that you can park in your own street, let alone outside your own house? Oh, and there are no charge points within half a mile of your house? So please, enlighten me to how all this works.

Man of Honour
EVs are very cheap. You pay once to buy it and then you can charge it for free.
While your diesel car needs to be refilled every time for loads of $$$$.

The true refueling/recharging cost is similar. Fossil fuels are only vastly more expensive because of vastly different levels of taxation. It's so extreme that the massive tax on fossil fuels is itself taxed. It's like a bad joke meme - yo dawg, we heard that you like tax so we put tax on your tax so you can pay tax while you pay tax. Then there's the subsidies on buying EVs and the vastly different charges on using EVS and ICEVs. Then there's VED, which is vastly different for ICEVs (high) and EVs (zero). So ICEV owners pay tax on their tax while they pay tax and pay tax. Pretending that massive difference in taxation is inherent to ICEVs and EVs is just plain wrong. The massive difference in taxation can only exist while EVs are rare. There is no way the UK government will (or can afford to) give up ~7% of it's total tax revenue. If EVs replace ICEVs, they will have to be taxed as much and will therefore cost about as much. (EDIT: to run).

You can reasonably argue that EVs have a lower environmental impact than ICEVs. You can reasonably argue that they can have superior usable performance in many ways. You can't reasonably argue that they're much cheaper in total cost of ownership because that's at most a temporary, artificial and wholly unsustainable difference.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Be easier if the car manufacturers did a better job in the first place and were better designed for maintenance.

So many vehicles these days are in a poor state after a few years due to the manufacturer trying to save a few pence on better quality parts, etc. or taking other shortcuts or cheaping out at the expense of the customer and ultimately environment.

I think it's more deliberate than that, in addition to the usual cost-cutting short termism. A company that produces truely durable vehicles won't last. How can they sell more stuff when the stuff they sold years ago still works just fine? Very few people can afford to buy cars as fashion items.

Man of Honour
^^ I think people don't literally mean save the planet, as if our actions will actually destroy it. While that might be possible if all the nuclear weapons went off at once (lol) ... [..]

Just as an interesting aside, the answer is "no, not even close, not even if you put them all in the same place". Natural processes can release far more energy than every nuclear weapon combined and have done so repeatedly. Humans simply don't have the power to do any significant damage to Earth. Earth's ecosytems, yes. Earth itself, no. Nothing more than a large crater, which would get eroded away and filled in eventually. A few events in Earth's history were in the teratonne range, at least a couple of orders of magnitude higher than every nuclear weapon added together, and did next to bugger all serious damage to Earth itself. Massive damage to ecosystems, but not to the planet itself.

Soldato
Roger that! I did wonder as I wrote it, considering the kind of impacts the earth has had in its past. It's difficult to imagine the actual scale of massive things at times... and the earth is so small, but so big, arrg /brainmeltdown :)

Permabanned
Me too after as soon found out the blue bin contents goes to same place as rest to green/grey bins buy hey they (Councils/Gov)need to be seen to recycle due to the EU fines (for little while anyhow).

Caporegime
80952316-10156437433891193-2682457314031566848-n.jpg

Man of Honour
For different reasons that is a real issue at home - my dad refuses to have an artificial Christmas tree (because it isn't real) my mum refuses to have a real one due to the mess.

Ultimately this whole climate thing is missing the bigger picture any how - we can't even deal with climate change as a collective whole as a species so sooner or later we are potentially going to be wiped out by something that requires a pre-emptive approach to deal with it rather than a reactive approach that tends to bring people together to deal with a disaster.

Soldato
Tell me, how does one go about charging an EV when you live in a mid-terraced house with on-street parking and no guarantee that you can park in your own street, let alone outside your own house? Oh, and there are no charge points within half a mile of your house? So please, enlighten me to how all this works.

I would say people in these situations just can't yet have an EV.

In my area I have seen a few kerbside charging points for those without a driveway. I think these have a dashed box drawn out as a bay, similar to the residential disabled bays.

I'm going on the assumption that these are not council owned and would be hooked upto a residents power supply. Although I do wonder if someone wanted to be a **** and park there anyway as on street parking. I'm not sure if EV charging parking zones carry the same protection as disabled bays.

Back
Top Bottom