*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Associate
It's frankly an astounding representation of the entire Milkyway galaxy, technically and visually, where you can even land & drive on non-atmospheric worlds too... But after those planetary surfaces were added a year after release, little more depth/variation has been added to exploration though sadly, so after a while you risk getting a somewhat "been there and done/seen that" feeling...

Gameplay wise, for a new starter it will be daunting, and balance (both economic and combat) has only got worse (IMHO) over the years. But there still plenty of fun to be had there!

There's supposedly a monstrous update in a years time, so a lot of folks (myself included) have fingers crossed finally for some (more) bar raising content...

I've got a couple of thousand hours in the game. I have enough money that money is now meaningless to me. I'm deputy head of a player group, and chief strategist for that group's minor faction in the game.

There's a lot about E-D that is frustrating because it's only a whisker away from awesomeness. Unfortunately, I think that some of the areas where it needs to be better actually represent significant re-engineering tasks. In particular, the mission-generator seems to be patch upon patch upon patch. It really needs a ground-up rewrite.

But it's beautiful to look at, the sound design is incredible, and there's a lot to really get yourself into. If you like the core mechanics of playing the game, then you'll love it. A lot of the complaints (especially about "grind") stem from the fact that people don't actually like playing the game that much, so the goals feel too hard to achieve.

Associate
wow nice! i never seem to make hardly anything lol, still no conda for me! :(

Me too unfortunately

Whilst bounty hunting can be fun, it pays out very little and any missions with reasonable payout are just too monotonous for the time sink they require and this is what makes the game no fun for me. It wouldn’t be so bad if there was more chance to drop on some rarer high payout missions.

Soldato
Never played it looks interesting, how steep ia the learning curve? What exactly do you do in this game?
Steep, though if you have any flight sim experience that will help massively. You fly spaceships, trading, mining, bounty hunting, pirating, exploring, upgrading and stuff.

wow nice! i never seem to make hardly anything lol, still no conda for me! :(

Credits become increasingly easy to earn the higher ranked and the better quipped you are, though even with basic modules and some core mining you can make millions very easily.

Associate
Are the engineers still a thing in the game? I left after getting burnt out on grinding materials and the terrible drop rates, I’ve never known a grind like it lol.

(And I know I didn’t have to bring for engineered weapons and parts but.....upgrades :D)

Soldato
Are the engineers still a thing in the game? I left after getting burnt out on grinding materials and the terrible drop rates, I’ve never known a grind like it lol.

(And I know I didn’t have to bring for engineered weapons and parts but.....upgrades :D)

Yes, however they did go under a revamp so have lesser requirements these days and materials are generally easier to attain, there are even material traders who will swap them for other materials in the same group (natural, manufactured, data) though it does cost if you go outside of the direct material line. They also no longer have any random aspect other than the amount of level gain you acquire for each roll.

Associate
Yes, however they did go under a revamp so have lesser requirements these days and materials are generally easier to attain, there are even material traders who will swap them for other materials in the same group (natural, manufactured, data) though it does cost if you go outside of the direct material line. They also no longer have any random aspect other than the amount of level gain you acquire for each roll.

So are you saying that continued rolls on an item will only improve the stats now and there isn’t a decrease in any aspect?

Soldato
So are you saying that continued rolls on an item will only improve the stats now and there isn’t a decrease in any aspect?
That is correct. The roulette wheel is gone. The argument against it is that this means variation is removed however it is much fairer now and it feels a lot less cheesy now.

I have my issues with engineering (way to much power gain) but they are definitely 10x better in terms of gaining them than at launch

So long as you don't want to PvP however engineering stuff is purely optional and indeed many of them spoil the game imo.

Back
Top Bottom