• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Associate
Do you know what the HEDT reviews are missing? Actual proper parallel work flow testing. Very often I'll be rendering out a Cinema 4D scene and compiling a Unity app while working in Premier Pro. It's workflows like these where TR really shines, I'd love to see this represented in reviews, be interesting to see if AMD and Intel platforms handle it differently.

Hell, I was exporting a Premiere render last night and hopped onto rocket league for a couple if games while waiting, couldn't even tell in game that the render was happening.

Computerbase.de did some testing like this.

https://www.computerbase.de/2019-11/amd-ryzen-threadripper-3960x-3970x-test/3/

Soldato
For those of us (most?) with the Strix TRX40-E Gaming, there's a new BIOS/EFI out as of 18/12/19 that adds:

Asus said:
ROG STRIX TRX40-E GAMING BIOS 0702
1. Improve system performance
2. Fix an issue where the PXE boot option when CSM and PXE are enabled.
3. Update overclocking auto-rules.

Just in case you missed it over Christmas, as I did.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Looks like its the same for the Zenth II, i'll update mine when my new fittings arrive.

ROG ZENITH II EXTREME BIOS 0702
1.Improve system performance.
2.Fix an issue where the PXE boot option when CSM and PXE are enabled.
3.Update overclocking auto-rules.

Associate
Morning all

I'm running a 2950X Gigabyte X399 Aorus Xtreme with 128Ram (Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM/Memory Kit 8x 16GB ) .

Question is if i sold my motherboard and cpu could i keep that ram and buy a new motherboard and thread ripper 3 ? From what i've read my Enermax LiqTech II TR4 360 RGB CPU Water Cooler - 360mm would still fit the new threadrippers too .

I run a lot of VM etc so more core is always the better for me .

Thank you .

Soldato
Morning all

I'm running a 2950X Gigabyte X399 Aorus Xtreme with 128Ram (Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM/Memory Kit 8x 16GB ) .

Question is if i sold my motherboard and cpu could i keep that ram and buy a new motherboard and thread ripper 3 ? From what i've read my Enermax LiqTech II TR4 360 RGB CPU Water Cooler - 360mm would still fit the new threadrippers too .

I run a lot of VM etc so more core is always the better for me .

Thank you .

Yes, the cooler would still fit the physical socket shape is still the same, as are the mounting points, and your RAM would also be fine.

Associate
Yes, the cooler would still fit the physical socket shape is still the same, as are the mounting points, and your RAM would also be fine.

Thank you for your reply that's great . Was hoping the AIO and ram would be ok now to contemplate weather to sell those off and get TR3 .

Thanks again

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Thank you for your reply that's great . Was hoping the AIO and ram would be ok now to contemplate weather to sell those off and get TR3 .

Thanks again
I upgraded from a 2950x to a 3960x, no regrets here.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Thank you

Assume your happy with the Asus Strix ?

Need 3 x M2 ports and was looking at that as well as the Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Pro or the master but i'm a little worried that the noise a cooling fan may make ?

Its a great board. I've never heard the fans above the rad/case fans even when under heavy load.

Associate
Happy new year everyone!

I noticed quite a few people here have the Asus TRX40-E Gaming, and for me the BIOS was reporting the CPU voltage as 1.41v when the voltage setting was left on auto. That's way too high for stock. You might all want to check yours. I've manually set it to 1.25v which brought temperatures down quite a bit. I'm sure my last Asus motherboard (Intel) also did the same... Is this an Asus thing?

And has anyone seen their 3960X boost to the rated 4.5GHz? With either a one or two thread load it only ever hits 4.34GHz for me in CPUZ. I'm on the latest 0702 BIOS.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Happy new year everyone!

I noticed quite a few people here have the Asus TRX40-E Gaming, and for me the BIOS was reporting the CPU voltage as 1.41v when the voltage setting was left on auto. That's way too high for stock. You might all want to check yours. I've manually set it to 1.25v which brought temperatures down quite a bit. I'm sure my last Asus motherboard (Intel) also did the same... Is this an Asus thing?

Low load mine has voltage at 1.5v which is absolutely fine for a few cores. During high load and all core boost (4.1ghz) voltage us around 1.1v with llc at setting 5.

And has anyone seen their 3960X boost to the rated 4.5GHz? With either a one or two thread load it only ever hits 4.34GHz for me in CPUZ. I'm on the latest 0702 BIOS.

I regularly see up to 4.6ghz on a couple of cores. Check max boost with hwinfo, the transition might be too quick for cpuz to pick up. Ryzens are also quite picky on having the correct bios settings (c states etc) - did you set "load optimised defaults" in the bios? Also latest chips et drivers and ryzen power plan.

Back
Top Bottom