Your game of the decade?

Soldato
There are so many contenders but only one truly stands out - Minecraft...or should I say modded Minecraft.

Vanilla MC lacked (last time I played) any real end goals, you gather a ton of resources and have little to do with it except make buildings...and that's it barring the absolutely superb exploration aspect. Raumarik on these forums introduced me to modded MC or Feed The Beast back in oh 2012 or so, which is MC coupled with a carefully selected assortment of mods that brings everything together superbly. The sheer attention to detail on these mods is what made the game for me - I spent years playing it and learning the intricate electrical/energy systems not to mention the host of new enemies etc. Nothing else really gave me the playtime that FTB MC gave me. Payday 2 comes close but that was it afaik.

Associate
Tricky to narrow this down to one game, so I'll just list everything I gave 9/10 (nothing got 10/10) since 2009...

Borderlands
Dragon Age: Origins
Bioshock 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Just Cause 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Terraria
Borderlands 2
Fallout 4
Dishonored 2
Doom
Divinity: Original Sin II
Prey
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Associate
There's so many to choose from! The following doesn't include multiplayer games:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Fallout 4
Far Cry 3
Far Cry 5
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Metro 2033 Redux
Metro: Last Light Redux
Metro Exodus
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Prey
Red Dead Redemption 2
Resident Evil 2
Shenmue 1 & 2 (Rerelease)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

If I had to pick just one, it'd probably be Witcher 3!

Last edited:
Associate
Skyrim for me, although I have only just started playing the Witcher 3 which I am loving.

Second place is Fortnite, I like all the main BR games (PUBG and Apex Legends) but the skill level demonstrated by some players and the smoothness and accessibility (both in terms of fast lobbies and free access) set it apart.

Soldato
Story: Bioshock Infinite

Hours: Borderlands 2

Honourable mention: Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Overall, Skyrim was awesome but Witcher 3 just about pips it for me. The characters, the gameworld, everything was immense.

Soldato
I tried Witcher 3 for about an hour
Seemed very slow and a bit tedious. Should I give it more time ? Bioshock Infinite (my top pick of the decade) seems ages ago now and these days I really need to not be so judgemental in a short space of time when starting playing games. I've so many games that I've tried briefly and just stopped as it hasn't grabbed me (well over 30 top titles Inc Red Dead 2 on PC which I played about 30 mins and stopoed). As I'm getting on a bit now maybe I simply can't seem to tolerate gaming for more than half an hour without wanting a break (and yes, I have the time to play these, games and then some) . Has been the last 5 years this has happened and its annoying as hell as I love PC gaming, or did.

Associate
Arma 2/3
Witcher 3
Path of Exile
GTA V
Stalker: Call of Pripyat
Total War: Shogun 2
Dark Souls 1 & 3

All truly excellent with lots of time spent on them and many great memories to boot.

However...

Bloodborne takes it by some distance for me, the first playthrough was just other worldly for me. It released just as I had time booked off from work and I probably spent several hours a night on it, fully immersed with headphones, often having to drag myself away in the early hours to get some sleep. It really grabbed me like nothing has since my childhood, it's become like the old Morrowind meme for me, if I hear any of the music, or anybody mentions it, I have to go back and play it through :D

Awesome visuals and art style, probably one of, if not the best soundtracks to a game ever. Crazy atmosphere throughout and arguably it's the best playing of all the souls games. Shame it was a PS exclusive, hopefully they remaster it someday and bring it to the other consoles and PC.

Back
Top Bottom